Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Tuesday, 28 August 2007, 21:48 GMT 22:48 UK
Queen's Park 1-2 Hibernian
Filipe Morais celebrates his goal for Hibs
Filipe Morais opened the scoring for Hibs
Hibernian started their CIS Cup defence with two second-half goals to claim victory over Queen's Park at Hampden.

Hibs' Filipe Morais and substitute Steven Fletcher looked to have put the tie beyond Queens with two goals in two minutes after the break.

However, the amateur side responded within a minute to reduce the deficit, through defender Mick Dunlop.

Queens beat Aberdeen at this stage of the tournament last season, but were outplayed by the Easter Road side.

The home fans among the paltry crowd tried their best to inject some atmosphere in to the game in the early stages but it was the visitors who notched up the first effort on goal.

After just five minutes, Morais fired a long-range drive wide of the target.

Queen's responded in the 15th minute when defender Paul Paton's long punt to the back post was only just missed by substitute Paul Ronald.

Moments later, Ronald had a clea chance when he was set up by Stevie Canning on the left-hand side of the Hibs penalty area, but his right-footed effort didn't trouble Hibs keeper Yves Ma-Kalamby.

Hibs' first shot on target arrived in the 38th minute, but full-back Kevin McCann's drive from distance was easily gathered by Spiders' keeper Mark Cairns.

As half-time approcahed, Clayton Donaldson set up the jet-heeled Morais 16 yards out but the Hibees' player volleyed high over the crossbar.

In the 55th minute Morais took possession of a Beuzelin pass, then left defender Damiano Agostini standing and sent a right-footed shot from 12 yards past Cairns.

Fletcher then found himself on the scoresheet moments later when he headed in a Morais corner past a static Cairns.

60 seconds later the home side were back in the game when left-back Dunlop picked up a Mark Ferry cut-back and drove home from around 16 yards out.

The Queen's players summoned all their energy going all out for the equaliser, Dunlop coming close again when his volley from a Paton pass caused some panic in the Hibs penalty area before the ball was eventually cleared.

As the home side abandoned defensive priorities Hibs were able to attack on the counter but Abdessalam Benjelloun struck a post in the dying seconds, but a third goal never arrived.

Queens Park: Cairns, Paton, Agostini, Trouten, Dunlop, Kettlewell, Cairney, Dunn (Ronald 10), Sinclair, Canning, Ferry. Subs Not Used: Cowie, Quinn, Molloy, McGrady.

Booked: Dunlop.

Goals: Dunlop 62.

Hibernian: Kalambay, McCann (O'Brien 66), McCormack, Joneleit, Stevenson, Donaldson (Fletcher 56), Kerr, Chisholm, Morais, Benjelloun, Shiels (Beuzelin 46). Subs Not Used: McNeil, Zemmama.

Booked: McCormack.

Goals: Morais 56, Fletcher 58.

Att: 2,343

Ref: E Smith


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us