BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 15:37 GMT, Sunday, 6 September 2009 16:37 UK

Welsh Premier/non-League round-up


Welsh Premier

Prestatyn 2-1 Welshpool (Fri): Dave Hayes' last minute winner sent Prestatyn joint top of the Welsh Premier on Friday night.

Carl Lamb gave Welshpool the lead in the first minute, but Alex Williams drew level 15 minutes later and the home side went on to claim all three points.

Bala Town 2-0 Caersws (Sat): Newcomers Bala kept up their unbeaten start in the Welsh Premier thanks to two second-half goals.

John Toner put them ahead three minutes after the break before Ross Jefferies wrapped up the win four minutes from time, moving Bala back joint-top.

Bangor 2-3 Llanelli (Sat): Llanelli twice had to come from behind to secure victory.

Chris Sharp put the home side ahead after eight minutes before Rhys Griffiths levelled four minutes later.

Bangor were ahead again on the stroke of half time when Sharp added his second from the spot.

But Llanelli player-manager Andy Legg brought his side level on 58 minutes and Stephen Jenkins grabbed the winner five minutes later.

Connah's Quay 0-2 Rhyl (Sat): Two goals in two minutes were enough to send champions Rhyl to the top of the Welsh Premier, level on points with Bala.

Matthew Williams broke the deadlock on 64 minutes before Mark Connolly quickly added a second to put the game out of reach.

Newtown 4-2 Cefn Druids (Sat): A Robbie James brace helped inspire Newtown to their first Welsh Premier win of the season over bottom club Cefn Druids.

The 20-year-old defender's third and fourth career goal either side of Gary Penlington's strike for Druids gave Newtown hope.

New Nigerian loan signing Obi Anorllo, borrowed from Wrexham on transfer deadline day, scored his first goal in English football before Lee Bamber's goal gave Druids hope.

Nicky Ward's second of the season secured the win as Druids continue to search for their first league win of the season.

Port Talbot 2-0 The New Saints (Sat): A Liam McCreesh double succumbed TNS to their first Welsh Premier defeat of the season.

The Port Talbot midfielder headed the hosts into a 23rd minute before securing their first home win in the final minute of the first half in controversial fashion as TNS claimed for offside.

Porthmadog 1-4 Neath (Sat): A Craig Steins double helped inspire Neath to their first Welsh Premier win of the season.

The former Leeds United trainee opened the scoring in the opening quarter-of-an-hour before former Welsh international Chris Llewellyn struck a second - his third of the season - just after the break.

Former Wales youth midfielder Stephen Pockett scored a third on the hour before Steins completed his brace 10 minutes later.

Dan Pyrs' last-minute strike was a mere consolation for a club that had drawn its previous three league games

Airbus 3-1 Haverfordwest (Sun): Airbus secured their first win of the season against Haverfordwest.

Carl Owen opened the scoring before Robbie Walters equalised for the visitors just two minutes after the break.

But Marc Lloyd-Williams' fifth of the season put the hosts back ahead before Matthew Cook's 69th minute secured the victory.

Carmarthen 0-0 Aberystwyth (Sun):


Welling United 0-2 Newport County (Sat): A Craig Reid double inspired Newport County to the top of the Blue Square South as the Exiles continued their unbeaten start to the season.

Striker Reid scored either side of half-time to beat Welling United as County completed their fourth successive victory.


Merthyr Tydfil 1-3 Nuneaton (Sat): Merthyr Tydfil suffered their first home defeat of the season as Nuneaton Town secured the three points at Penydarren Park.

Rob Oddy had given Nuneaton the lead before man-of-the-match striker Lee Moore scored from a harshly awarded 17th-minute penalty.

Moore then crossed for Simon Forsdick to complete the rout before player-manager Garry Shephard scored a late consolation for the bottom club.


Colwyn Bay 0-0 Clitheroe (Sat): Colwyn Bay could not add to the seven goals they hit last week against 10-man Clitheroe.

Tim Brandreth, Stuart Greaves and Anthony Sheehan all came close for the hosts.

Liam McManus was sent off for Clitheroe in the second half for a second booking after a rash challenge on substitute Eddie Jebb.

Print Sponsor

see also
Welsh Premier
22 Jan 08 |  Welsh
BBC Sport Wales coverage
03 Oct 11 |  Wales

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites