BBC Sport football


Related BBC sites

Welsh Cup 2007/08


4 May:


5 April:
Bangor City 3-1 Newport YMCA

Bangor booked their place in the final after overcoming a dogged Newport YMCA side.

It was a tight affair for 42 minutes before Peter Hoy scored the all-important opening goal for Bangor, after YMCA failed to clear a free-kick from the left.

Ashley Stott's angled shot made it 2-0 on 65 minutes, before Sion Edwards capped a fine display by scoring the third minutes later following a great move down the left wing.

Danny Cueto scored a late consolation for YMCA but it was the Citizens who deservedly progressed to the final.

29 March:
Llanelli 5-2 Rhyl

Llanelli are on course for a Welsh domestic treble as Peter Nicholas' team trounced Rhyl in a five-star Welsh Cup semi-final display.

Prolific marksman Rhys Griffiths' hat-trick inspired The Reds into the final as they bid for their first Welsh Cup triumph.

Griffiths' phenomenal 49-goal tally this season has fired Llanelli into two cup finals and ten points clear of TNS at the summit of the Welsh Premier.

Llanelli, who face Rhyl in next month's Welsh League Cup final, were beaten Welsh Cup semi-finalists in the previous two seasons but Griffiths' goals guided them into this year's showpiece with his second-half treble.

Antonio Corbisiero gave Llanelli an early lead but the former Swansea City striker was injured in the process and had to be stretchered off.

Lee Hunt equalised for Rhyl on the stroke of half-time but Griffiths' 20-yard stunner and a cool Mark Pritchard strike eased Llanelli back into the lead at Aberystwyth's Park Avenue.

Hunt capitalised on a Llanelli defensive howler to drag Rhyl back in contention but within 90 seconds Griffiths has restored Llanelli's two-goal cushion.

The Reds striker converted a penalty after Pritchard was hauled down by Rhyl goalkeeper Lee Kendall before Griffiths completed the rout with arguably his easiest goal of the season as he tapped Chris Holloway's cross into an empty net from three yards.

Llanelli will now face either Bangor City or Welsh League giant-killers Newport YMCA in the final.

Quarter-finals: 1 March 2008

Newport YMCA carried on collecting Welsh Premier scalps as the Welsh League side staged a fantastic fightback to beat Welshpool 3-2.

The visitors were cruising after taking a fifth-minute lead through Brett Jefferies and looked home and dry when Richard Harris doubled Welshpool's lead on 51 minutes.

But Danny Heath gave Newport YMCA hope when he pulled a goal back on 67 minute, Lewis Sommers then equalised before Heath popped up again for a winner five minutes from time.

Rhyl were made to battle at home by GAP Queens Park but goals from Craig Jones, Lee Hunt and Chris Sharp saw them home 3-2, despite Ricky Evans' late penalty for Park giving Rhyl a nervous last few moments.

Bangor cruised into the semi-finals with a crushing 6-0 win at Guilsfield, Ashley Stott the goal-hero for the Citizens as he grabbed four of the goals.

The last quarter-final, played on Sunday, between Newi Cefn Druids and Llanelli was only settled after extra time in a see-saw match.

Chris McGinn gave Druids the lead, but a Stuart Jones equaliser on 63 minutes followed by an Andrew Edgar own goal gave Llanelli the advantage.

Karl Connolly's 80th-minute strike kept Druids' semi-final hopes alive and sent the tie into extra time.

But three minutes into that extra period Mark Pritchard popped up to put Llanelli into the lead once more, with a quick-fire Rhys Griffiths brace and a goal from Jordan Follows sending the Reds clear.

Connolly added a late consolation for Druids from the penalty spot but they bowed out 6-3 losers.

Guilsfield FC 0-6 Bangor City
Newi Cefn Druids 3-6 Llanelli
Newport YMCA 3-2 Welshpool Town
Rhyl 3-2 GAP Queens Park

Round Four: 2 February 2008

Giant-killers Newport YMCA claimed another top-flight scalp as the Welsh League side qualified for the Welsh Cup quarter-final.

YMCA followed up their win over Cup holders Carmarthen Town in the previous round to beat Welsh Premier strugglers Llangefni 4-3 on penalties after the score was tied at 1-1 following extra time.

Cymru Alliance League side Guilsford also claimed a Welsh Premier victim as Matthew Newtown's goal was enough to defeat Caernarfon Town.

GAP Queens Park are the third club from outside the Welsh Premier to reach the last eight as they defeated Welsh League Caerleon 2-0 with goals from Kevin Breeze and Paul Brunt.

Guilsfield FC 1-0 Caernarfon Town
NEWI Cefn Druids 0-0 ENTO Aberaman Athletic
*Newi win 5-3 on penalties
Haverfordwest County 1-2 Rhyl FC
Aberystwyth Town 0-0 Bangor City
*Bangor win 3-2 on penalties
Newtown AFC 1-2 Llanelli AFC
GAP Queens Park 2-0 Caerleon FC
Bryntirion Athletic 1-2 Welshpool Town
Newport YMCA 1-1 Llangefni Town
*Newport YMCA win 4-3 on penalties

Round Three: 3 November 2007

Welsh Cup holders Carmarthen Town crashed out 2-1 to 10-man Newport YMCA of the Welsh League.

Faris Yafi gave Newport the lead before Liam Hancock levelled, but an 85th minute penalty from Gareth Lynch secured a 2-1 win.

Elsewhere, Cymru Alliance side Guilsfield beat Connah's Quay 2-0 and a late Stuart Graves goal was enough for Rhyl against Port Talbot.

Bangor's Mike Walsh scored in extra time against Caersws to win 3-2.

Aberystwyth Town 3-1 Neath Athletic
Bryntirion Athletic 4-2 Dinas Powys
Caerleon 2-0 Brymbo
Caersws 2-2 Bangor City
*Bangor win 3-2 after extra time
Connah's Quay 0-2 Guilsfield
Ento Aberaman Athletic 3-1 Caerau Ely
GAP Queens Park 3-1 Afan Lido
Haverfordwest County 3-0 Ton Pentre
Llangefni Town 3-0 Mynydd Isa
Llanrug United 3-5 Llanelli
Nefyn United 1-3 Caernarfon Town
Newi Cefn Druids 3-0 Holyhead Hotspurs
Newport YMCA 2-1 Carmarthen Town
Newtown 1-1 Maesteg Park Athletic
*Newtown win 2-1 after extra time
Rhyl 1-0 Port Talbot Town
Tywyn Bryncrug 1-1 Welshpool Town
*Welshpool win 3-1 after extra time

Round Two: 6 October 2007

The New Saints crashed out of the Welsh Cup on penalties for the second season in a row after losing Saturday's second round shoot-out 3-2 at Connah's Quay.

When the tie finished 0-0 after extra time, Nomads goalkeeper Paul Pritchard was the hero with three penalty saves.

Two other Welsh Premiership sides bowed out, with Airbus UK Broughton losing 3-2 after extra-time away to Cymru Alliance side Guilsfield.

Welshpool beat Porthmadog 2-0 at The Traeth in their all-Welsh Premier tie.

Aberystwyth Town 3-0 Newcastle Emlyn
Afan Lido 3-1 Croesyceiliog
Bangor City 3-0 Llandyrnog United
Bridgend Town 1-2 Bryntirion Athletic
Brymbo 4-0 Halkyn United
Caerau Ely 3-2 Goytre United
Caerleon 2-1 Taffs Well
Caernarfon Town 2-1 Llanfair PG
Caersws 9-0 Mold Alexandra
Cardiff Corinthians 2-2 Ton Pentre
*Ton Pentre win 3-2 after extra time
Connah's Quay Nomads 0-0 The New Saints
*Connah's Quay Nomads win 3-2 after penalties
Corwen 1-3 Mynydd Isa
Cwmaman Institute 0-3 ENTO Aberaman
Cwmamman United 0-5 Dinas Powys
GAP Queens Park 3-1 Penrhyncoch
Guilsfield 2-2 Airbus UK Broughton
*Guilsfield win 3-2 after extra time
Haverfordwest County 1-0 Llantwit Fadre
Holyhead Hotspur 1-1 Bala Town
*Holyhead win 2-1 after extra time
Llanberis 1-5 Newtown AFC
Llandudno Town 1-1 NEWI Cefn Druids
*NEWI Cefn Druids win 1-2 after extra time
Llangefni Town 5-0 Hawarden Rangers
Llanrug 5-1 Llanrhaedr
Maesteg Park 2-0 Briton Ferry
Merthyr Saints 1-2 Carmarthen Town
Neath Athletic 6-0 Llanwern
Nefyn United 2-0 Chirk AAA
Newport YMCA 4-1 Cambrian & Clydach
Pentwyn Dynamos 3-7 Llanelli AFC
Porthmadog FC 0-2 Welshpool Town
Rhyl FC 10-0 Montgomery Town
Tywyn Bryncrug 3-2 Conwy United
West End 1-2 Port Talbot Town

Round One: 15 September 2007

Bala Town 6-3 Denbigh Town
Bodedern 0-2 Llanfair PG
Brickfield Rangers 0-12 Brymbo CPD
Bridgend Town 3-1 Garden Village
Bryntirion Athletic 6-1 Pontypridd Town
Caerau Ely 7-0 Garw Athletic
Caerleon 4-0 Treharris Athletic
Carno 1-4 CPD Penrhyncoch
Coedpoeth United 0-1 Mold Alexandra
Conwy United 4-0 CPD Glynceiriog
Corwen 3-1 Lex XI CPD
Cwmaman Institiute 4-2 Llangeinor (after extra time)
Cwmamman United 3-0 AFC Llwydcoed
Dinas Powys 3-0 Penrhiwceiber
Ely Rangers 1-4 Llantwit Fadre
Glan Conwy 4-3 Llanrug United
Goytre United 3-0 Pontardawe Town
Guilsfield 2-1 Prestiegne St Andrews
Halkyn United 2-1 Ruthin Town
Hawarden Rangers 3-0 Buckley Town
Holyhead Hotspurs 3-2 Cefn United (after extra time)
Llanberis 4-3 Llanwrst United (after extra time)
Llandyrnog United 3-1 Penycae
Llanrhaedr YM 3-2 Berriew (after extra time)
Llansawel 2-5 ENTO Aberaman (after extra time)
Llanwern 4-2 Barry Town (after extra time)
Maesteg Park 2-1 Seven Sisters (after extra time)
Merthyr Saints 2-0 Cwmbran Town
Montgomery Town 2-1 Llanfyllyn Town
Mynydd Isa 3-1 Glantraeth
Nantlle Vale 0-2 Chirk AAA
Nefyn United 2-0 Gresford Athletic
Newcastle Emlyn 4-1 Knighton Town
Newport YMCA 2-0 Goytre FC
Pentwyn Dynamos 3-1 Cwmbran Celtic
Pontyclun 1-2 Cambrian & Clydach Vale
Prestatyn Town 1-2 Llandudno
Pwllheli 3-4 GAP Queens Park
Taffs Well 3-2 Caldicot Town
Ton Pentre 3-0 Aberbardoged Buds
Tredegar Town 3-4 Cardiff Corinthians (on penalties)
Troedyrhiw 3-7 Croesyceiliog
Tywyn Bryncrug 11-10 Rhydymwyn (on penalties)
West End 2-1 Bettws

Print Sponsor

see also
Welsh Cup 2006/7
10 Mar 07 |  Welsh
Welsh Cup fixtures
23 Feb 07 |  Welsh
Welsh Cup results
23 Feb 07 |  Welsh
BBC Sport Wales coverage
03 Oct 11 |  Wales

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.