Crystal Palace 2 - 0 Southampton
Page last updated at 20:52 GMT, Tuesday, 25 October 2011 21:52 UK
Crystal Palace scored two second-half goals to knock out Championship rivals Southampton and book their place in the Carling Cup quarter-final.
Second-tier leaders Saints had the best chance of the opening half when Jonathan Forte forced Palace keeper Lewis Price into a smart save.
But Darren Ambrose put Palace in front in the second half when he slotted home from a cross by Jonathan Williams.
Jermaine Easter then scored a penalty after Dan Harding fouled Williams.
Saints boss Nigel Adkins made 10 changes to his line-up from the weekend's draw against Reading and, despite an impressive debut from 16-year-old James Ward-Prowse, the reshuffled side came up just short against a Palace side that also featured several fringe players.
Indeed it was a highly rated Palace youngster, Jonathan Williams, one of seven changes for the hosts, who proved the difference with a part in both goals.
It could have been very different, though, had Saints midfielder Jack Cork's header not been cleared off the line by Stuart O'Keefe in the opening minute.
Palace were restricted to long-range efforts in the first half, none of which came close to troubling Bartosz Bialkowski in the Saints goal.
After the break Palace striker Easter fashioned a decent chance for himself when he burst past Cork and reached the edge of the area, but once again the finish did not match the build-up.
Easter should have broken the deadlock 15 minutes into the second half when Williams and Ambrose combined to tee him up just inside the box, but this time the striker dragged his shot wide.
It looked as if it would require something magical or calamitous to break the deadlock, and it was the latter that finally did the trick as a sliced clearance from Aaron Martin allowed teenager Williams to get round the back of the Saints defence and cross for Ambrose to finish.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
Crystal Palace have not lost at Selhurst Park against Southampton since 2006
Rickie Lambert and Guly do Prado were summoned from the bench, but the visitors' luck was out. Harding's trip on Williams sent the midfielder tumbling in the area and Easter scored from the penalty spot to send Palace through to the quarter-finals for the first time in eight years.
Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman:
"We are pleased, it was a hard-fought win, we had to defend for most of the game.
"We gave a lot of respect to Southampton, who are a very good team. But we defended well and that enabled us to go on and get the goals.
"Over the 90 minutes we deserved to win."
Southampton manager Nigel Adkins:
"We came with the mentality to win the game even though we made 10 changes.
"Ultimately it's about winning and we haven't. But we are totally committed to the youth system at Southampton and I'm delighted with James Ward-Prowse, helooked very assured and comfortable with the ball.
"We've utilised this competition to give the youngsters an opportunity. It's a hard one as a manager, it's about having a squad and utilising it well. The players need game time."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 25 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 34 Price
- 02 Clyne
- 05 McCarthy
- 21 Moxey
- 38 Ramage
- 04 Parr (Zaha 84)
- 07 Ambrose (Jedinak 75)
- 08 Dikgacoi
- 20 Williams (Gardner 82)
- 28 O'Keefe
- 19 Easter
- 01 Speroni,
- 06 Gardner,
- 15 Jedinak,
- 29 Dorman,
- 09 Iversen,
- 16 Zaha,
- 25 Pedroza
- 21 Bialkowski
- 03 Harding
- 12 Butterfield
- 16 Martin
- 28 Reeves (Guly 80)
- 04 Schneiderlin yellow card
- 08 Cork
- 24 Holmes (Lambert 77)
- 30 Ward-Prowse
- 33 De Ridder
- 17 Forte (Barnard 69)
- 36 Dovey,
- 02 Richardson,
- 39 Dean,
- 10 Guly,
- 35 Moore,
- 07 Lambert,
- 09 Barnard
- Crystal Palace 46%
- Southampton 54%
Attempts on target
- Crystal Palace 4
- Southampton 5
Attempts off target
- Crystal Palace 6
- Southampton 1
- Crystal Palace 1
- Southampton 6
- Crystal Palace 6
- Southampton 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:39 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+3:34 Guly Do Prado gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wilfried Zaha. Mile Jedinak takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+3:09 Direct free kick taken by Anthony Gardner.
- 90:00+3:09 Booking Morgan Schneiderlin is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+3:02 Foul by Morgan Schneiderlin on Wilfried Zaha, free kick awarded.
- 90:00+2:24 Free kick taken by Patrick McCarthy.
- 90:00+1:34 Danny Butterfield delivers the ball, save made by Lewis Price.
- 90:00+1:18 Steve De Ridder takes a short corner.
- 90:00+0:33 Unfair challenge on Kagisho Dikgacoi by Morgan Schneiderlin results in a free kick. Anthony Gardner restarts play with the free kick.
- 89:46 Guly Do Prado takes a short corner.
- 88:57 Wilfried Zaha concedes a free kick for a foul on Morgan Schneiderlin. Guly Do Prado fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick, Lewis Price makes a save.
- 86:08 Foul by Peter Ramage on Lee Barnard, free kick awarded. Richard Lambert produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick, Lewis Price makes a save.
- 84:45 Danny Butterfield crosses the ball, clearance made by Patrick McCarthy.
- 83:09 Jack Cork restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:09 Substitution Wilfried Zaha joins the action as a substitute, replacing Jonathan Parr.
- 83:09 Jermaine Easter concedes a free kick for a foul on Jack Cork.
- 81:36 Substitution Jonathan Williams leaves the field to be replaced by Anthony Gardner.
- 81:13 GOAL - Jermaine Easter:Crystal Palace 2 - 0 Southampton Power penalty scored by Jermaine Easter. Crystal Palace 2-0 Southampton.
- 80:07 Jonathan Williams fouled by Dan Harding, the ref awards a Penalty.
- 79:39 Substitution (Southampton) makes a substitution, with Guly Do Prado coming on for Ben Reeves.
- 79:09 Shot from just outside the area by Jonathan Parr misses to the left of the target.
- 78:10 Jermaine Easter produces a cross.
- 77:12 Ben Reeves concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Williams. Free kick taken by Lewis Price.
- 76:53 Substitution Richard Lambert is brought on as a substitute for Lee Holmes.
- 74:31 Inswinging corner taken by Steve De Ridder from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance by Mile Jedinak.
- 74:31 Substitution Darren Ambrose leaves the field to be replaced by Mile Jedinak.
- 73:42 Foul by Stuart O'Keefe on Steve De Ridder, free kick awarded. Lee Holmes crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, clearance made by Patrick McCarthy.
- 72:28 Assist by Jonathan Williams.
- 72:28 GOAL - Darren Ambrose:Crystal Palace 1 - 0 Southampton Darren Ambrose fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Crystal Palace 1-0 Southampton.
- 71:06 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams by Aaron Martin. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Darren Ambrose.
- 70:53 Jermaine Easter takes a shot. Blocked by Aaron Martin.
- 69:58 Danny Butterfield crosses the ball, clearance by Patrick McCarthy.
- 68:03 Substitution Jonathan Forte goes off and Lee Barnard comes on.
- 67:19 The ball is delivered by Danny Butterfield, save by Lewis Price.
- 66:16 Shot by Danny Butterfield from outside the box goes over the net.
- 66:08 The ball is delivered by Jonathan Forte, clearance made by Peter Ramage.
- 63:18 Jermaine Easter produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 63:03 Jonathan Forte is caught offside. Direct free kick taken by Kagisho Dikgacoi.
- 61:28 Inswinging corner taken by Steve De Ridder.
- 61:14 The ball is crossed by Lee Holmes, blocked by Nathaniel Clyne.
- 60:19 The ball is delivered by Dan Harding.
- 58:59 Danny Butterfield crosses the ball, Peter Ramage manages to make a clearance.
- 56:40 Danny Butterfield sends in a cross, save by Lewis Price.
- 56:05 Jermaine Easter is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Direct free kick taken by Aaron Martin.
- 55:35 Dean Moxey produces a cross, save by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 54:09 Effort on goal by Jermaine Easter from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 51:49 The referee blows for offside against Steve De Ridder. Free kick taken by Lewis Price.
- 51:33 A cross is delivered by Danny Butterfield, Peter Ramage manages to make a clearance.
- 47:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Darren Ambrose by Lee Holmes. Indirect free kick taken by Lewis Price.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:05 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+0:17 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Darren Ambrose from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Aaron Martin.
- 44:00 Dan Harding crosses the ball, save made by Lewis Price.
- 40:16 Dean Moxey concedes a free kick for a foul on Steve De Ridder. Direct free kick taken by Lee Holmes.
- 37:13 Effort on goal by Kagisho Dikgacoi from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 36:05 Dan Harding challenges Jonathan Williams unfairly and gives away a free kick. Patrick McCarthy takes the free kick.
- 35:21 Jermaine Easter has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 35:03 Lee Holmes sends in a cross.
- 34:30 Jermaine Easter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Bartosz Bialkowski. Free kick taken by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 31:45 Aaron Martin concedes a free kick for a foul on Jermaine Easter. Free kick taken by Darren Ambrose.
- 30:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Patrick McCarthy by Jonathan Forte. Patrick McCarthy restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:04 Unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams by Ben Reeves results in a free kick. Peter Ramage takes the free kick.
- 28:44 Jermaine Easter is caught offside. Bartosz Bialkowski restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:01 Darren Ambrose takes a shot. Blocked by Morgan Schneiderlin.
- 23:23 Jonathan Forte has an effort at goal from 18 yards. Save by Lewis Price.
- 19:56 Danny Butterfield gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Parr. Direct free kick taken by Peter Ramage.
- 19:33 Jonathan Forte is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Peter Ramage.
- 17:26 The official flags Ben Reeves offside. Indirect free kick taken by Lewis Price.
- 16:00 The offside flag is raised against Jermaine Easter. Morgan Schneiderlin restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:06 Foul by Morgan Schneiderlin on Jonathan Williams, free kick awarded. Darren Ambrose restarts play with the free kick.
- 12:16 Unfair challenge on Jonathan Williams by Dan Harding results in a free kick. Darren Ambrose takes the free kick.
- 9:40 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Steve De Ridder from the left by-line to the near post, Stuart O'Keefe manages to make a clearance.
- 9:31 Lee Holmes sends in a cross, clearance made by Stuart O'Keefe.
- 7:03 James Ward-Prowse takes a shot. Save made by Lewis Price.
- 5:24 Shot from deep inside the area by Nathaniel Clyne clears the bar.
- 0:52 Lee Holmes takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, Jack Cork takes a shot. Clearance by Darren Ambrose.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Carling Cup results