Aldershot 0 - 3 Man Utd
Page last updated at 20:36 GMT, Tuesday, 25 October 2011 21:36 UK
Manchester United recovered from their Manchester City mauling to progress to the Carling Cup quarter-finals at the expense of League Two Aldershot.
In a totally changed side from Sunday's 6-1 defeat by their city rivals, Dimitar Berbatov put United ahead with a neat finish from Park Ji-sung's pass.
Berbatov set up Michael Owen before half-time and Antonio Valencia smashed in from 25 yards after the break.
Aldershot had some long-range efforts with Luke Guttridge going closest.
The midfielder's shot whistled past the post in the dying stages and he had a free-kick well saved by United goalkeeper Ben Amos to almost give Dean Holdsworth's side a consolation.
But the hosts were no disgrace despite the evident gulf in class between the two sides, with Jermaine McGlashan also shooting over in the first half.
The last time these two teams met was for a League Cup tie in 1970, which finished 3-1 to United.
On that day, George Best, Denis Law and Brian Kidd were all on target and it was a similarly comfortable game for the visitors this time as they got the shock at Old Trafford out of their system.
But it was a United side showing 11 changes from the City defeat that did so - Sir Alex Ferguson perhaps deciding to let his first-team stew a little longer while reintroducing some of his fringe players.
Those who were given the opportunity set about their work in a professional manner from the start with Berbatov at the heart of much of United's good work in the first period.
Tom Cleverley, back in the United line-up after a foot injury in September, also showed some neat touches and link-up play before he was taken off after the hour.
UNITED TEAM CHANGESContinue reading the main story
- Only Phil Jones remained from the side which lost 6-1 to Manchester City. He came off the bench at Old Trafford
- Substitute Ravel Morrison made his first appearance of the season
- Michael Owen, Ben Amos, Ezekiel Fryers and Mame Diouf all made their first starts since the third-round win over Leeds
The 22-year-old lined up in central midfield with Park and the pair combined early on to gift Berbatov his first goal of the season.
It was a decent finish from 12 yards but the one-two between Park and Cleverley cut through the Aldershot defence easily.
The hosts recovered, however, and made some progress down their right with McGlashan firing over after a fine run.
The Shots, who since that game 41 years ago have been through a winding-up order under their former guise of Aldershot FC, also peppered Amos in the United goal with several long-range efforts.
Berbatov last started a game over a month ago and was joined in attack by Owen, who himself was last named in the first XI against Leeds in the last round.
The Bulgarian set up his strike partner just before half-time when he cut the ball back with a cute pass after haring down the right on a counter-attack.
And following the break Valencia put the game out of reach for the valiant hosts, receiving Cleverley's square ball 25 yards out and hammering the ball past Ross Worner.
Berbatov could have added to his tally but dragged a shot wide and had a free-kick saved by the Aldershot keeper.
And although Guttridge's attempt to grab a late reward for all his side's hard work was unsuccessful, Holdsworth was justifiably proud of his team's performance.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 25 October 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 21 Warner
- 02 Herd
- 03 Straker
- 05 Jones
- 11 Rodman (Bubb 46)
- 15 Morris
- 23 Vincenti (Collins 72)
- 04 Guttridge
- 07 McGlashan
- 09 Rankine (Smith 82)
- 10 Hylton
- 01 Young,
- 06 Brown,
- 08 Collins,
- 14 Pulis,
- 26 Smith,
- 30 Panther,
- 12 Bubb
- 40 Amos
- 04 Jones
- 15 Vidic yellow card
- 20 Fabio Da Silva
- 51 Fryers (Keane 70)
- 13 Park Ji-Sung
- 23 Cleverley (Pogba 60)
- 25 Valencia
- 07 Owen
- 09 Berbatov
- 32 Diouf (Morrison 70)
- Aldershot 38%
- Man Utd 62%
Attempts on target
- Aldershot 3
- Man Utd 8
Attempts off target
- Aldershot 6
- Man Utd 7
- Aldershot 4
- Man Utd 10
- Aldershot 6
- Man Utd 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:22 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+3:04 Ravel Morrison takes a shot. Blocked by Aaron Morris.
- 90:00+0:33 Effort from the edge of the box by Antonio Valencia goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 89:58 Ben Herd delivers the ball, Paul Pogba makes a clearance.
- 88:10 Phil Jones is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Luke Guttridge has a direct shot on goal from the free kick, save by Ben Amos. Luke Guttridge takes a short corner.
- 87:40 The ball is crossed by Adam Smith.
- 85:43 Luke Guttridge produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 85:37 The ball is sent over by Adam Smith, clearance by Nemanja Vidic.
- 84:55 The ball is delivered by Jermaine McGlashan.
- 84:21 Adam Smith concedes a free kick for a foul on Antonio Valencia. Free kick taken by Antonio Valencia.
- 82:09 Unfair challenge on Nemanja Vidic by Danny Hylton results in a free kick. Nemanja Vidic restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:21 Substitution Michael Rankine goes off and Adam Smith comes on.
- 81:08 Shot from just outside the box by Bradley Bubb misses to the right of the goal.
- 81:03 The ball is crossed by Danny Hylton, Nemanja Vidic makes a clearance.
- 79:28 Foul by Jermaine McGlashan on Ji-Sung Park, free kick awarded. Strike on goal comes in from Dimitar Berbatov from the free kick, save made by Ross Worner. Short corner taken by Antonio Valencia from the right by-line.
- 77:54 Short corner taken by Ravel Morrison from the left by-line.
- 76:39 The ball is sent over by Antonio Valencia, Ben Herd makes a clearance.
- 75:10 Fabio Da Silva challenges Jermaine McGlashan unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Ben Herd.
- 73:52 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Michael Owen from the right by-line, Ji-Sung Park has shot on goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 71:55 Substitution Peter Vincenti goes off and Jamie Collins comes on.
- 70:52 Luke Guttridge takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Antonio Valencia.
- 69:25 Substitution Mame Diouf leaves the field to be replaced by Ravel Morrison.
- 69:25 Substitution Ezekiel Fryers goes off and Michael Keane comes on.
- 69:10 Effort on goal by Paul Pogba from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 67:50 Michael Owen takes a shot. Blocked by Peter Vincenti.
- 66:45 Ben Herd gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mame Diouf. Direct free kick taken by Dimitar Berbatov.
- 60:23 Foul by Paul Pogba on Luke Guttridge, free kick awarded. Aaron Morris takes the direct free kick.
- 59:19 Substitution Paul Pogba is brought on as a substitute for Tom Cleverley.
- 56:38 Shot by Dimitar Berbatov from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 55:35 Antonio Valencia concedes a free kick for a foul on Danny Hylton. Luke Guttridge crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left by-line, clearance by Nemanja Vidic.
- 55:20 The ball is swung over by Danny Hylton, clearance made by Phil Jones.
- 51:59 Danny Hylton concedes a free kick for a foul on Fabio Da Silva. Tom Cleverley delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, clearance made by Darren Jones. Ji-Sung Park delivers the ball.
- 47:26 Assist by Tom Cleverley.
- 47:26 GOAL - Antonio Valencia:Aldershot 0 - 3 Man Utd Antonio Valencia grabs a goal from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Aldershot 0-3 Man Utd.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- 45:01 Substitution Bradley Bubb comes on in place of Alex Rodman.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:12 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+0:35 The ball is delivered by Fabio Da Silva, Mame Diouf takes a shot. Aaron Morris gets a block in.
- 44:39 Unfair challenge on Ji-Sung Park by Danny Hylton results in a free kick. Ji-Sung Park restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:58 Ji-Sung Park concedes a free kick for a foul on Peter Vincenti. Anthony Straker takes the direct free kick.
- 40:47 Assist by Dimitar Berbatov.
- 40:47 GOAL - Michael Owen:Aldershot 0 - 2 Man Utd Michael Owen scores a goal from deep inside the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Aldershot 0-2 Man Utd.
- 40:25 Danny Hylton takes a shot. Ben Amos makes a save.
- 38:34 Antonio Valencia challenges Peter Vincenti unfairly and gives away a free kick. Alex Rodman delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left channel, Phil Jones makes a clearance.
- 35:19 Alex Rodman takes a shot. Blocked by Ezekiel Fryers. Corner taken right-footed by Luke Guttridge to the near post, Michael Rankine takes a shot. Blocked by Dimitar Berbatov. The referee blows for offside. Ben Amos takes the free kick.
- 34:38 Antonio Valencia crosses the ball, Header from close in by Mame Diouf misses to the left of the goal.
- 33:37 Peter Vincenti takes a shot and went wide left of the goal.
- 33:32 Jermaine McGlashan produces a cross, Phil Jones manages to make a clearance.
- 32:50 The ball is swung over by Ji-Sung Park, Dimitar Berbatov produces a header from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the goal.
- 31:15 The ball is sent over by Phil Jones, save made by Ross Worner.
- 28:20 Ben Herd sends in a cross, Michael Rankine has a headed effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 27:46 Corner taken right-footed by Alex Rodman from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Antonio Valencia.
- 27:37 A cross is delivered by Michael Rankine, Ezekiel Fryers gets a block in.
- 26:07 Jermaine McGlashan produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 24:21 The ball is delivered by Antonio Valencia, Anthony Straker gets a block in. Tom Cleverley takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Peter Vincenti.
- 22:31 Tom Cleverley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Hylton. Ben Herd takes the direct free kick.
- 20:06 Fabio Da Silva takes a shot. Aaron Morris gets a block in. Short corner taken by Tom Cleverley. Tom Cleverley takes a short corner.
- 16:59 Short corner taken by Tom Cleverley.
- 14:36 Assist on the goal came from Ji-Sung Park.
- 14:36 GOAL - Dimitar Berbatov:Aldershot 0 - 1 Man Utd Dimitar Berbatov finds the back of the net with a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Aldershot 0-1 Man Utd.
- 14:14 Corner taken short by Tom Cleverley.
- 13:46 Corner taken right-footed by Tom Cleverley to the near post, Peter Vincenti manages to make a clearance.
- 11:30 Corner taken by Tom Cleverley.
- 8:54 Alex Rodman takes the direct free kick.
- 8:54 Booking Nemanja Vidic is booked.
- 8:44 Nemanja Vidic concedes a free kick for a foul on Alex Rodman.
- 7:56 Fabio Da Silva delivers the ball, clearance by Ben Herd.
- 6:30 Effort on goal by Tom Cleverley from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 3:40 The referee blows for offside against Dimitar Berbatov. Darren Jones restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Carling Cup results