Exeter 1 - 3 Liverpool
Page last updated at 20:40 GMT, Wednesday, 24 August 2011 21:40 UK
Liverpool cruised into the third round of the Carling Cup with a one-sided win over League One outfit Exeter.
The Reds dominated from the start and took the lead when Artur Krysiak failed to cut out Jordan Henderson's cross and Luis Suarez tucked away the loose ball.
Maxi Rodriguez swept home a precise Suarez cut-back before a thunderous strike from Andy Carroll made it 3-0.
Daniel Nardiello replied for Exeter late on from the spot after he was tripped in the box by Martin Skrtel.
KENNY DALGLISH FACTSContinue reading the main story
- Kenny Dalglish's first win as Liverpool manager was a 2-0 win over Arsenal in August 1985
- This was his first League Cup tie since a 3-1 defeat by Man Utd in the fourth round in October 1990
But the Grecians never looked like stopping Kenny Dalglish from claiming his 200th win as Reds boss.
The only cloud on Dalglish's horizon was an injury to Raul Meireles, who was forced off after 26 minutes by a shoulder injury sustained in a challenge with Danny Coles.
Andy Carroll replaced Meireles, and Liverpool were quickly ahead thanks to Suarez's instinctive strike which crept in despite Richard Duffy's best efforts to block it on the line.
It took until the start of the second half for Exeter to manage a meaningful chance, when Nardiello ran clear but saw his lob land wide.
And Liverpool were soon further ahead, with the impressive Suarez picking out Rodriguez at the second attempt and the Argentina midfielder slotted into the bottom corner.
Suarez also played a part in the Reds' third goal, beating Troy Archibald-Henville and teeing up Carroll to smash home an unstoppable shot.
Carroll wasted a chance to grab his second, heading wide when well placed, and it was Exeter who had the last word thanks to Skrtel's clumsy challenge.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 24 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Krysiak
- 03 Jones
- 05 Archibald-Henville
- 06 Duffy
- 11 Golbourne
- 18 Coles (Nicholls 76)
- 04 Dunne
- 08 Noble
- 14 Shephard (McNish 65)
- 10 Nardiello
- 21 Bauza (Keohane 26)
- 40 Pidgeley,
- 26 Bennett,
- 22 Keohane,
- 24 Frear,
- 31 McNish,
- 20 Logan,
- 29 Nicholls
- 25 Reina
- 22 Wilson
- 37 Skrtel
- 38 Flanagan
- 49 Robinson
- 04 Meireles (Carroll 20)
- 11 Maxi
- 14 Henderson yellow card
- 20 Spearing
- 26 Adam (Shelvey 77)
- 07 Suarez (Downing 59)
- Exeter 41%
- Liverpool 59%
Attempts on target
- Exeter 4
- Liverpool 9
Attempts off target
- Exeter 5
- Liverpool 6
- Exeter 3
- Liverpool 11
- Exeter 8
- Liverpool 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:15 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+2:18 Andrew Carroll takes a shot. Save by Artur Krysiak.
- 90:00+1:20 Daniel Nardiello takes a shot. Blocked by Martin Skrtel.
- 88:12 John Flanagan handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Billy Jones has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 87:51 Effort on goal by Stewart Downing from 18 yards. Artur Krysiak makes a comfortable save.
- 87:27 David Noble takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post.
- 87:15 Daniel Nardiello takes a shot. Blocked by Jonjo Shelvey.
- 86:09 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jordan Henderson.
- 84:36 The ball is swung over by John Flanagan, Troy Archibald-Henville makes a clearance.
- 82:31 Scott Golbourne concedes a free kick for a foul on Jay Spearing. Free kick taken by Danny Wilson.
- 80:53 Free kick awarded for a foul by Daniel Nardiello on John Flanagan. Free kick taken by Jose Reina.
- 80:18 Handball by Stewart Downing. David Noble restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:26 GOAL - Daniel Nardiello:Exeter 1 - 3 Liverpool Power penalty scored by Daniel Nardiello. Exeter 1-3 Liverpool.
- 78:42 Martin Skrtel concedes a Penalty for a foul on Daniel Nardiello.
- 76:23 Substitution Charlie Adam leaves the field to be replaced by Jonjo Shelvey.
- 75:56 Substitution Tom Nichols replaces Danny Coles.
- 74:30 The referee blows for offside against Daniel Nardiello. Jose Reina takes the indirect free kick.
- 73:32 David Noble takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post.
- 69:39 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Stewart Downing, Headed effort from deep inside the penalty area by Andrew Carroll misses to the left of the goal.
- 69:27 Stewart Downing takes a shot. Save by Artur Krysiak.
- 68:10 Andrew Carroll is caught offside. Artur Krysiak restarts play with the free kick.
- 65:46 Callum McNish takes a shot. Save made by Jose Reina.
- 64:42 Unfair challenge on Danny Coles by Andrew Carroll results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Artur Krysiak.
- 63:47 Free kick taken by John Flanagan.
- 63:47 Substitution (Exeter) makes a substitution, with Callum McNish coming on for Chris Shephard.
- 63:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on John Flanagan by Chris Shephard.
- 63:22 Troy Archibald-Henville crosses the ball, save made by Jose Reina.
- 62:19 Shot from just outside the box by Jordan Henderson goes over the bar.
- 60:32 Jordan Henderson takes a outswinging corner to the near post, clearance made by Troy Archibald-Henville.
- 58:33 Substitution Stewart Downing is brought on as a substitute for Luis Suarez.
- 57:45 Assist by Luis Suarez.
- 57:45 GOAL - Andrew Carroll:Exeter 0 - 3 Liverpool Goal scored by Andrew Carroll from just outside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Exeter 0-3 Liverpool.
- 54:17 Luis Suarez provided the assist for the goal.
- 54:17 GOAL - Rodriguez Maxi:Exeter 0 - 2 Liverpool Rodriguez Maxi finds the net with a goal from inside the box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Exeter 0-2 Liverpool.
- 53:30 The referee blows for offside against Andrew Carroll. Artur Krysiak takes the indirect free kick.
- 51:12 Artur Krysiak restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:12 Booking Jordan Henderson receives a yellow card.
- 50:18 David Noble fouled by Charlie Adam, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Troy Archibald-Henville.
- 49:13 Andrew Carroll concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Golbourne. Direct free kick taken by Artur Krysiak.
- 47:35 The referee blows for offside. John Flanagan restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:39 Daniel Nardiello has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:20 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+2:12 Effort by Chris Shephard from a long way out goes over the target.
- 45:00+0:37 Shot from deep inside the area by Luis Suarez clears the crossbar.
- 43:36 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luis Suarez by James Dunne. Jack Robinson restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:49 Corner taken right-footed by Jordan Henderson, Jay Spearing takes a shot. Blocked by Troy Archibald-Henville.
- 36:10 Charlie Adam has an effort at goal from outside the penalty area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 35:34 Centre by David Noble, Jose Reina makes a save.
- 34:10 The ball is delivered by Luis Suarez.
- 33:26 David Noble concedes a free kick for a foul on Andrew Carroll. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Charlie Adam from right channel.
- 32:02 Scott Golbourne has an effort at goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 30:57 Chris Shephard decides to take a short corner, The ball is delivered by David Noble.
- 30:02 Rodriguez Maxi takes a shot. Billy Jones gets a block in.
- 29:19 Jordan Henderson delivers the ball, Richard Duffy makes a clearance.
- 27:03 Corner taken by Charlie Adam.
- 26:32 Unfair challenge on Charlie Adam by James Dunne results in a free kick. Charlie Adam takes the free kick.
- 25:09 Substitution Jimmy Keohane is brought on as a substitute for Guillem Bauza.
- 23:59 Shot by David Noble from outside the box goes high over the crossbar.
- 22:39 Assist on the goal came from Jordan Henderson.
- 22:39 GOAL - Luis Suarez:Exeter 0 - 1 Liverpool Luis Suarez grabs a goal from the edge of the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Exeter 0-1 Liverpool.
- 22:30 The ball is crossed by Jordan Henderson, Artur Krysiak makes a save.
- 22:17 Scott Golbourne sends in a cross, save by Jose Reina.
- 19:48 Substitution Raul Meireles goes off and Andrew Carroll comes on.
- 17:51 Charlie Adam sends in a cross.
- 16:35 Charlie Adam decides to take the corner short, Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Luis Suarez goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 15:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by John Flanagan on Daniel Nardiello. Chris Shephard produces a cross, Daniel Nardiello takes a shot. Jose Reina makes a comfortable save.
- 15:05 Unfair challenge on David Noble by Charlie Adam results in a free kick. David Noble takes the free kick.
- 13:49 Inswinging corner taken by Charlie Adam from the right by-line played to the near post, Chris Shephard makes a clearance.
- 13:13 Charlie Adam takes the inswinging corner, clearance made by David Noble.
- 12:58 Inswinging corner taken by Charlie Adam, save made by Artur Krysiak.
- 12:32 Short corner taken by Jordan Henderson from the right by-line. Charlie Adam takes a shot. Save by Artur Krysiak.
- 12:09 Rodriguez Maxi fouled by Troy Archibald-Henville, the ref awards a free kick. Martin Skrtel takes the direct free kick.
- 4:33 Rodriguez Maxi challenges Chris Shephard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Richard Duffy.
- 3:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Dunne on Rodriguez Maxi. Charlie Adam restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:01 Corner taken left-footed by Charlie Adam, Effort from inside the six-yard box by Martin Skrtel goes wide left of the target.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Carling Cup results
24 August 11Football