Shrewsbury 3-1 Swansea
Page last updated at 21:11 GMT, Wednesday, 24 August 2011 22:11 UK
A stunning Shrewsbury Town comeback shocked Swansea and dumped the Premier League side out of the Carling Cup.
Shane Cansdell-Sherriff's own goal, heading Andrea Orlandi's ball past Shrews keeper Ben Smith, gave the top-flight visitors an early lead.
Marvin Morgan fired Lionel Ainsworth's cut-back home to level before Mark Wright edged the League Two hosts deservedly ahead from close-range.
Nicky Wroe's late strike rounded off a memorable win for the Shrews.
Graham Turner's team now celebrate their first appearance in the League Cup's third round for 18 years.
Swansea may have been 65 pyramid places above their lower-league hosts but the Shrews' work-ethic and battling attitude proved the inspiration behind a stirring triumph.
And visiting goalkeeper Jose Moreira, one of the nine changes from Swansea's Premier League draw with Wigan on Saturday, was given an early warning of what was to come.
Moreira, making his Swansea debut, had to be at his alert best as the Portuguese stopper made a super double save from Terry Gornell and then Morgan.
A shock, however, looked unlikely when Swansea broke the deadlock in the opening 10 minutes when Orlandi's long ball was headed past his own goalkeeper Ben Smith by Cansdell-Sherriff.
The Australian defender was under pressure from Swans striker Danny Graham but the header towards his own goal from just inside his own penalty area was a calamitous way to concede.
Shrewsbury, though, responded positively and were level within nine minutes as Morgan nudged Ainsworth's cut-back past Moreira from inside the six-yard box.
The 28-year-old striker was the two-goal hero when the Shrews beat Championship side Derby 3-2 in the previous round and his clinical finish proved the catalyst again for Turner's men.
Morgan then almost gave the hosts the half-time lead but his header from Joe Jacobson's looping left-wing cross cannoned back off Moreira's crossbar.
Graham and Leroy Lita were punished for missing chances for Swansea when Wright edged Shrewsbury in front halfway through the second period.
Terry Gornell's bulldozing run broke through the Swans backline and he teed up Wright who, in space just inside the penalty area, smashed a low strike past Moreira and into the bottom corner.
Wroe completed a jubilant night for the 1961 League Cup semi-finalists when he fired Lionel Ainsworth's short free-kick into the net from 25 yards.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 23 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Smith
- 02 Grandison (Goldson 89)
- 03 Jacobson
- 05 Sharps
- 06 Cansdell-Sherriff
- 04 McAllister
- 07 Wright
- 08 Wroe
- 16 Ainsworth
- 10 Morgan (Collins 78)
- 24 Gornell
- 01 Neal,
- 12 Hazell,
- 18 Goldson,
- 11 Leslie,
- 14 Richards,
- 09 Collins,
- 17 Bradshaw
- 21 Moreira
- 02 Williams
- 05 Tate
- 34 Walsh (Taylor 64)
- 35 Alfei
- 08 Orlandi (Dobbie 69)
- 24 Allen
- 27 Gower
- 10 Graham
- 18 Lita
- 19 Moore (Sinclair 79)
- Shrewsbury 45%
- Swansea 55%
Attempts on target
- Shrewsbury 8
- Swansea 5
Attempts off target
- Shrewsbury 3
- Swansea 9
- Shrewsbury 3
- Swansea 7
- Shrewsbury 11
- Swansea 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:08 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+1:49 Daniel Alfei produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 90:00+0:25 The assist for the goal came from Lionel Ainsworth.
- 90:00+0:25 GOAL - Nicky Wroe:Shrewsbury 3 - 1 Swansea Nicky Wroe gets on the score sheet with a goal from outside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Shrewsbury 3-1 Swansea.
- Correction - 89:26 Unfair challenge on Terry Gornell by Joe Allen results in a free kick. Mark Wright takes the direct free kick.
- 89:26 Foul by Joe Allen on Terry Gornell, free kick awarded. Terry Gornell takes the free kick.
- 88:24 Substitution Jermaine Grandison leaves the field to be replaced by Connor Goldson.
- 86:55 The ball is sent over by Neil Taylor, clearance by Sean McAllister.
- 84:08 Handball by Stephen Dobbie. Free kick taken by Benjamin Smith.
- 83:53 Mark Wright delivers the ball, Daniel Alfei makes a clearance.
- 82:36 James Collins challenges Stephen Dobbie unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Daniel Alfei.
- 81:56 Danny Graham takes a shot. Clearance made by Joe Jacobson.
- 80:56 Foul by Mark Wright on Alan Tate, free kick awarded. Alan Tate restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:05 Terry Gornell concedes a free kick for a foul on Alan Tate. Direct free kick taken by Neil Taylor.
- 78:18 Substitution Luke Moore goes off and Scott Sinclair comes on.
- 77:56 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alan Tate by James Collins. Mark Gower takes the free kick.
- 77:12 Substitution James Collins on for Marvin Morgan.
- 77:00 Effort from the edge of the area by Ashley Williams goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 76:30 Stephen Dobbie decides to take a short corner.
- 76:23 Stephen Dobbie produces a cross, blocked by Terry Gornell.
- 76:05 Corner taken by Mark Gower from the right by-line.
- 75:53 Joe Allen takes a shot. Blocked by Terry Gornell.
- 71:59 Ashley Williams has a headed effort at goal from close range which goes wide left of the target.
- 71:07 Mark Wright concedes a free kick for a foul on Daniel Alfei. Direct free kick taken by Mark Gower.
- 70:12 Stephen Dobbie takes a shot. Blocked by Shane Cansdell-Sherriff.
- 68:11 Substitution (Swansea) makes a substitution, with Stephen Dobbie coming on for Andrea Orlandi.
- 66:13 The assist for the goal came from Terry Gornell.
- 66:13 GOAL - Mark Wright:Shrewsbury 2 - 1 Swansea Mark Wright grabs a goal from just inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Shrewsbury 2-1 Swansea.
- 65:43 The ball is crossed by Andrea Orlandi, clearance by Shane Cansdell-Sherriff.
- 63:47 Jose Moreira takes the direct free kick.
- 63:47 Substitution Neil Taylor replaces Joe Walsh.
- 63:47 Unfair challenge on Ashley Williams by Jermaine Grandison results in a free kick.
- 62:14 A cross is delivered by Joe Walsh, clearance made by Joe Jacobson.
- 59:19 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ashley Williams on Sean McAllister. Shane Cansdell-Sherriff takes the free kick.
- 58:57 Daniel Alfei crosses the ball, Sean McAllister manages to make a clearance.
- 56:21 Lionel Ainsworth fouled by Joe Walsh, the ref awards a free kick. Ian Sharps restarts play with the free kick.
- 55:22 The ball is crossed by Mark Gower.
- 55:05 The official flags Marvin Morgan offside. Daniel Alfei takes the indirect free kick.
- 53:50 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Mark Gower, Unfair challenge on Ian Sharps by Ashley Williams results in a free kick. Benjamin Smith takes the free kick.
- 53:46 A cross is delivered by Mark Gower, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff manages to make a clearance.
- 52:28 Unfair challenge on Andrea Orlandi by Terry Gornell results in a free kick. Ashley Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 50:47 Foul by Shane Cansdell-Sherriff on Danny Graham, free kick awarded. Mark Gower takes the direct free kick.
- 49:35 Sean McAllister fouled by Andrea Orlandi, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Joe Jacobson.
- 49:09 Daniel Alfei produces a cross, Luke Moore has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the goal.
- 47:59 Sean McAllister concedes a free kick for a foul on Andrea Orlandi. Shot comes in from Andrea Orlandi from the free kick, Nicky Wroe gets a block in.
- 46:11 Mark Gower takes a shot from long distance which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:06 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+0:53 Alan Tate produces a cross, Benjamin Smith makes a save.
- 45:00+0:05 Joe Jacobson sends in a cross, Marvin Morgan takes a shot.
- 43:17 Luke Moore gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jermaine Grandison. Benjamin Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:33 Centre by Alan Tate, Effort from deep inside the area by Danny Graham misses to the left of the target.
- 41:43 Foul by Nicky Wroe on Leroy Lita, free kick awarded. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Mark Gower, blocked by Nicky Wroe.
- 39:08 The referee blows for offside. Benjamin Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:00 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Andrea Orlandi played to the near post.
- 36:03 Corner taken left-footed by Joe Jacobson from the right by-line, Close range shot by Mark Wright goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 35:54 Nicky Wroe takes a shot. Alan Tate gets a block in.
- 34:24 Corner taken by Andrea Orlandi from the right by-line, Headed effort from close range by Joe Walsh goes wide left of the goal.
- 34:05 Lionel Ainsworth produces a cross, clearance by Daniel Alfei.
- 33:37 Joe Jacobson delivers the ball, Ashley Williams makes a clearance.
- 32:18 Terry Gornell is caught offside. Ashley Williams takes the free kick.
- 31:14 Centre by Jermaine Grandison, Jose Moreira makes a save.
- 30:02 Leroy Lita takes a shot. Save by Benjamin Smith.
- 23:51 Centre by Joe Walsh, clearance made by Ian Sharps.
- 23:21 Mark Gower decides to take a short corner.
- 21:45 Ashley Williams produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 21:18 Andrea Orlandi takes the inswinging corner, save made by Benjamin Smith.
- 20:00 Effort from the edge of the area by Terry Gornell goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 18:13 Assist on the goal came from Lionel Ainsworth.
- 18:13 GOAL - Marvin Morgan:Shrewsbury 1 - 1 Swansea Goal scored by Marvin Morgan from inside the six-yard box low into the middle of the goal. Shrewsbury 1-1 Swansea.
- 17:02 Ashley Williams challenges Marvin Morgan unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Joe Jacobson.
- 12:30 Nicky Wroe takes a shot. Save by Jose Moreira.
- 12:16 Marvin Morgan takes a shot. Jose Moreira makes a save.
- 11:21 Joe Allen concedes a free kick for a foul on Sean McAllister. Sean McAllister restarts play with the free kick.
- 9:16 Andrea Orlandi provided the assist for the goal.
- 9:16 GOAL - Shane Cansdell-Sherriff:Shrewsbury 0 - 1 Swansea Shane Cansdell-Sherriff heads into his own net. Shrewsbury 0-1 Swansea.
- 7:05 Mark Wright gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Joe Allen. Direct free kick taken by Joe Allen.
- 6:38 Daniel Alfei sends in a cross, save made by Benjamin Smith.
- 4:29 Corner taken left-footed by Joe Jacobson from the right by-line, clearance made by Luke Moore.
- 4:22 Marvin Morgan takes a shot. Jose Moreira makes a save.
- 4:12 Terry Gornell takes a shot. Save made by Jose Moreira.
- 2:46 Corner taken by Mark Wright, save made by Jose Moreira.
- 2:35 A cross is delivered by Joe Jacobson, blocked by Daniel Alfei.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Carling Cup results
- Aston Villa2-0HerefordFT
- Bournemouth1-4West BromFT
- Brighton1-0SunderlandFT After Extra Time
- Bristol R1-1WatfordFT Bristol Rovers win 4-2 on penalties
- Burnley3-2BarnetFT After Extra Time
- Cardiff5-3HuddersfieldFT After Extra Time
- Crystal Palace2-0Crawley TownFT
- Norwich0-4MK DonsFT
- Wycombe1-4Nott'm ForestFT
24 August 11Football