Leeds 3-2 Bradford
Page last updated at 20:40 GMT, Tuesday, 9 August 2011 21:40 UK
Leeds avoided a Carling Cup upset by twice coming back from a goal down to beat West Yorkshire rivals Bradford in a first-round tie at Elland Road.
The League Two side sensed a shock courtesy of a half-time lead given to them by Jack Compton's six-yard finish.
Seconds after the break, Leeds hit back through Ramon Nunez's drive only for Michael Flynn to restore City's lead.
But a header from Ross McCormack restored parity before Nunez tapped in to win it for the Championship side.
The result will be a huge relief to Simon Grayson's side, who were comprehensibly beaten in their opening league match at Southampton on Saturday.
It was far from a fluid home display, with nerves visible to see in some players, but they showed plenty of fight in front of a vociferous crowd and will now be hopeful they can build on this.
Bradford also lost their opening game - 2-1 at home to Aldershot - but this was a far more impressive performance, from which they can take more positives than negatives.
Their two goals were extremely well-fashioned, with Flynn's goal in particular - a neat turn and 18-yard strike into the top-corner - a class above the club's League Two status.
They also demonstrated some neat and incisive football; Compton's opener being a prime example, following a fine run and pull-back from the impressive Mark Stewart.
Ultimately though Leeds' extra power and ability told.
The skillful Nunez went missing during periods of the game, but was there when it counted.
He firstly hauled his side back into the tie with a neat curling finish in the first minute of the second half and then, after McCormack had headed them level a second time, tapped in from close range to see his side through to round two.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 9 August 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Lonergan
- 02 Connolly (Lees 62)
- 03 Kisnorbo
- 05 O'Brien (Bromby 62)
- 19 Parker
- 08 Brown
- 11 Sam
- 14 Howson
- 15 Clayton yellow card
- 20 Nunez
- 44 McCormack (Taylor 90+2)
- 12 Rachubka,
- 04 Bruce,
- 22 Lees,
- 26 Bromby,
- 29 Thompson,
- 31 Taylor
- 32 Jansson
- 05 Branston yellow card
- 12 Williams
- 16 Mitchell (Hannah 84)
- 24 Moore
- 28 Threlfall
- 04 Flynn
- 23 Syers yellow card (Jones 62)
- 07 Stewart (Rodney 78)
- 09 Hanson
- 11 Compton
- 01 McLaughlin,
- 03 O'Brien,
- 06 Oliver,
- 08 Jones,
- 10 Hannah,
- 19 Rodney,
- 21 Wells
- Leeds 58%
- Bradford 42%
Attempts on target
- Leeds 8
- Bradford 4
Attempts off target
- Leeds 10
- Bradford 8
- Leeds 6
- Bradford 3
- Leeds 7
- Bradford 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:09 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+4:48 Ross Hannah takes a shot. Save made by Andy Lonergan.
- 90:00+3:37 Michael Flynn has a shot on goal from outside the area which misses right.
- 90:00+2:00 Substitution Charlie Taylor is brought on as a substitute for Ross McCormack.
- 87:10 Short corner taken by Jonathan Howson from the right by-line.
- 86:56 Ross McCormack takes a shot. Save made by Oscar Jansson.
- 85:47 Adam Clayton takes a shot. Save by Oscar Jansson. Short corner taken by Jonathan Howson from the right by-line.
- 83:37 Substitution Chris Mitchell goes off and Ross Hannah comes on.
- 83:20 Ross McCormack produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 81:04 Ross McCormack takes a shot. Save by Oscar Jansson.
- 79:45 Effort from the edge of the box by Ross McCormack goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 76:42 Substitution Nialle Rodney comes on in place of Mark Stewart.
- 74:08 Lloyd Sam provided the assist for the goal.
- 74:08 GOAL - Ramon Nunez:Leeds 3 - 2 Bradford Ramon Nunez fires in a goal from close range to the bottom right corner of the goal. Leeds 3-2 Bradford.
- 72:33 Chris Mitchell takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Adam Clayton manages to make a clearance.
- 70:40 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Chris Mitchell from the right by-line, Guy Branston gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tom Lees. Andy Lonergan takes the free kick.
- 69:26 Assist by Adam Clayton.
- 69:26 GOAL - Ross McCormack:Leeds 2 - 2 Bradford Ross McCormack grabs a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Leeds 2-2 Bradford.
- 69:05 Michael Brown takes a shot. Steve Williams gets a block in.
- 66:25 Leigh Bromby fouled by James Hanson, the ref awards a free kick. Andy Lonergan takes the free kick.
- 63:39 Jonathan Howson handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Free kick taken by Chris Mitchell.
- 61:52 Substitution David Syers goes off and Ritchie Jones comes on.
- 61:06 Substitution Tom Lees comes on in place of Paul Connolly.
- 61:06 Substitution Leigh Bromby joins the action as a substitute, replacing Andy O'Brien.
- 60:47 Long range shot by Michael Flynn goes over the target.
- 58:14 Corner taken by Chris Mitchell from the left by-line to the near post, Jonathan Howson manages to make a clearance.
- 56:40 Robbie Threlfall provided the assist for the goal.
- 56:40 GOAL - Michael Flynn:Leeds 1 - 2 Bradford Michael Flynn scores a goal from the edge of the area to the top right corner of the goal. Leeds 1-2 Bradford.
- 55:59 Paul Connolly produces a cross, Headed effort on goal by Jonathan Howson from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 54:26 Shot by Ross McCormack from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 52:37 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by David Syers goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 51:55 Jonathan Howson has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 50:55 Effort on goal by Jack Compton from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 50:29 Ross McCormack is ruled offside. Indirect free kick taken by Steve Williams.
- 49:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on James Hanson by Andy O'Brien. Free kick taken by Chris Mitchell.
- 45:31 The assist for the goal came from Adam Clayton.
- 45:31 GOAL - Ramon Nunez:Leeds 1 - 1 Bradford Goal scored by Ramon Nunez from inside the penalty box to the top right corner of the goal. Leeds 1-1 Bradford.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:51 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+1:44 David Syers has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 45:00+1:04 Chris Mitchell restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:00+1:04 Booking The referee cautions Adam Clayton for unsporting behaviour.
- 45:00+1:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Adam Clayton on Jack Compton.
- 44:42 Foul by Jonathan Howson on Michael Flynn, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Oscar Jansson.
- 43:50 Ramon Nunez has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 39:48 The referee gives a free kick against Lloyd Sam for handball. Oscar Jansson restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:26 Corner taken right-footed by Ramon Nunez to the near post, James Hanson makes a clearance.
- 38:13 Short corner taken by Ramon Nunez.
- 32:29 Jack Compton crosses the ball, Headed effort on goal by James Hanson from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the goal.
- 29:40 Mark Stewart provided the assist for the goal.
- 29:40 GOAL - Jack Compton:Leeds 0 - 1 Bradford Jack Compton scores a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. Leeds 0-1 Bradford.
- 28:20 Ramon Nunez takes a shot. Blocked by Guy Branston.
- 28:00 Unfair challenge on Ross McCormack by Chris Mitchell results in a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Adam Clayton.
- 27:10 Patrick Kisnorbo fouled by James Hanson, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Andy Lonergan.
- 25:59 Effort from the edge of the box by Ramon Nunez goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 23:05 Jonathan Howson concedes a free kick for a foul on Chris Mitchell. Indirect free kick taken by Robbie Threlfall.
- 22:26 A cross is delivered by Adam Clayton, Ramon Nunez produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 20:34 Michael Brown takes the indirect free kick.
- 20:34 Booking Guy Branston booked.
- 20:18 Guy Branston gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ross McCormack.
- 19:33 The ball is crossed by Lloyd Sam, Adam Clayton produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 18:00 Adam Clayton challenges David Syers unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Oscar Jansson.
- 11:31 Andy Lonergan takes the free kick.
- 11:31 Booking David Syers goes into the referee's book.
- 10:49 David Syers challenges Ben Parker unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 9:57 Effort on goal by Michael Flynn from outside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 8:40 Foul by Ross McCormack on Guy Branston, free kick awarded. Robbie Threlfall restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:30 Mark Stewart takes a shot. Andy Lonergan makes a save.
- 5:27 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Ramon Nunez from the right by-line to the near post, Shot on goal by Patrick Kisnorbo from just inside the area goes over the target.
- 4:02 Michael Flynn produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses wide left of the target.
- 3:42 Paul Connolly gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Mark Stewart. Robbie Threlfall restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:27 Unfair challenge on Ramon Nunez by David Syers results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Patrick Kisnorbo. Ramon Nunez decides to take a short corner.
- 1:47 The referee blows for offside against Ross McCormack. Oscar Jansson restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
Carling Cup results
- Accrington St0-2ScunthorpeFT
- Bournemouth5-0Dag & RedFT
- Burnley6-3Burton AlbionFT After Extra Time
- Cheltenham1-4MK DonsFT
- Hartlepool1-1Sheffield UtdFT Sheff Utd win 4-3 on penalties
- Nott'm Forest3-3Notts CountyFT Nottm Forest win 4-3 on penalties
- Oldham1-1CarlisleFT Carlisle win 4-2 on penalties
- Port Vale2-4HuddersfieldFT
- Rochdale3-2ChesterfieldFT After Extra Time
- Southend1-1Leyton OrientFT Leyton Orient win 4-3 on penalties
- Stevenage3-4PeterboroughFT After Extra Time
- Wycombe3-3ColchesterFT Wycombe win 5-4 on penalties