BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 7 May, 2005, 15:51 GMT 16:51 UK
Ports hammer Larne in cup decider
Marc McCann celebrates after scoring for Portadown in the Irish Cup final
Man-of-the-match Vinny Arkins bagged a brace as Portadown hammered Larne 5-1 in a one-sided Nationwide Irish Cup final at Windsor Park on Saturday.

Neil Ogden gave Larne the perfect start when his floated free-kick hit the net after just three minutes.

But the Ports soon took control and went in 3-1 ahead at half-time after goals from Arkins (15), John Convery (34) and Marc McCann (36).

Darren Kelly (48) and Arkins (59) completed the rout.

Ogden gave the East Antrim underdogs a dream start but the Ports responded well and began to dominate.

Arkins went close on seven minutes when he fired wide from Wesley Boyle's centre.

The big forward made no mistake eight minutes later with a back-post finish after Cullen Feeney flicked on from Kyle Neill's inswinging corner.

It has been tough but the lads wanted this so much
Vinny Arkins

Jimmy McGeough's team launched a rare attack four minutes later with Portadown keeper Alan Murphy holding Lewis Hamlin's powerful shot.

But two goals in two minutes put the Ports in total command.

John Convery made it 2-1 on 34 minutes when he diverted an Arkins header past keeper Alex Spackman.

Arkins set up Marc McCann for the third with the midfielder placing the ball into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

Murphy was forced to tip over an Ogden free-kick in the 41st minute before Feeney headed just wide in first half injury time.

Northern Ireland striker Gary Hamilton entered the fray two minutes after the break to replace McCann.

He was on the pitch just 60 seconds when he delivered the corner for the unmarked Kelly to head in at the back-post. Boyle hit the outside of the post before Arkins secured his brace after 59 minutes with an angled shot which struck the inside of the post before finding the net.

Ogden nearly pulled one back on 67 minutes when his downward header was well saved by Murphy while Dickson was also denied by the keeper nine minutes later.

Portadown eased down as the game came to a finish with the Irish Cup already won.

LARNE: Spackman, Small, Murphy, Curran (c), Hughes, Rodgers, Weir, Ogden, Hamlin, Dickson, Bonner.

PORTADOWN: Murphy, Feeney, Convery, Kelly, O'Hara, Boyle, Collins, Clarke, Neill, M McCann, Arkins (c).


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport