BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 11 August, 2004, 20:51 GMT 21:51 UK
Shelbourne 0-0 Deportivo
Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon
Pat Fenlon's Shelbourne might have take a lead into the second leg
Irish side Shelbourne enjoyed the most famous night in their history as they held Deportivo La Coruna to a draw in their Champions League qualifier.

A sell-out 24,000 Lansdowne Road crowd watched the minnows keep alive their hopes of progress to the group stages.

Indeed, they might have emerged with a win but Alan Moore's glancing second-half header was kept out by the keeper.

Pedro Munitis spurned Deportivo's best chance with five minutes left, sending his low shot wide.

But Pat Fenlon's side fully deserved the draw after looking the stronger team for much of the game as Deportivo struggled to break down their opposition.

It is going to be difficult but the fact we haven't conceded a goal gives us a chance
Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon

Shelbourne became the first Irish side to reach the Champions League third qualifying round when they beat Hadjuk Split in their previous game.

The Irish champions were never overawed by their more illustrious opponents.

Stuart Byrne had a powerful shot blocked by Jorge Andrade in the seventh minute after a fine passing move.

Two minutes later, former Ireland international Moore almost reached a Wes Hoolahan pass ball only for Jose Molina to race quickly off his line to snuff out the danger.

In the final minute of the first-half Shelbourne keeper Steve Williams did well to hold a Victor Sanchez long-range shot.

Seconds later Ireland striker Jason Byrne had a wonderful opportunity to put the Irish side in front when he miskicked Owen Heary's pull-back in front of goal.

Shelbourne's good work was almost undone in the opening three minutes of the second period.

David Crawley needlessly gave the ball away to Victor Sanchez, whose first time pass put Alberto Luque clean through - only for the winger to snatch at his shot.

A minute later, Shelbourne were again fortunate when Jamie Harris failed to clear, allowing Walter Pandiani in behind him - only for Heary to race across and make a timely intervention.

Depor were nearly punished in the 79th minute when substitute goalkeeper Gustavo Munua needed to go full length to keep out Moore's header.

The second leg is at Deportivo's Riazor stadium on 24 August.

Shelbourne: Williams, Heary, Crawley, Rogers, Harris, Moore, Cahill, Stuart Byrne, Fitzpatrick (Ndo 52), Jason Byrne, Hoolahan.
Subs Not Used: Crawford, Cawley, Ger McCarthy, McDermott, Doherty, Delaney.

Booked: Cahill.

D Coruna: Molina (Munua 41), Manuel Pablo, Cesar, Andrade, Romero, Sergio (Duscher 68), Mauro Silva, Victor, Valeron, Pandiani, Luque (Munitis 80).
Subs Not Used: Capdevila, Hector, Pablo Amo, Ruben.

Booked: Sergio, Pandiani.

Att: 24,000.

Ref: Michal Benes (Czech Republic).

Lansdowne stages Shels tie
06 Aug 04  |  Irish
Euro glory for Shelbourne
04 Aug 04  |  Irish
Moore gives Shels Euro hope
28 Jul 04  |  Irish

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport