BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Tuesday, 11 November, 2003, 19:58 GMT
Cliftonville's spot-kick triumph
Cliftonville 1-1 Larne (Cliftonville won 5-4 on penalties)

Cliftonville skipper Mickey Donnelly gets the celebrations underway
Cliftonville lifted the CIS League Cup at Windsor park

Cliftonville won the CIS League Cup by beating Larne in a penalty shoot-out at Windsor Park.

Tuesday's final finished 1-1 after extra-time and the Belfast Reds won the spot-kick decider to win their first trophy for five years.

But Larne will feel hard done by as a controversial decision by referee Frankie Hiles crucially went against them.

Derek Delaney had Larne one up when he got the ball in the net for a second time.

However, the ref thought he had spotted a foul and ruled the score out. Television replays suggested Larne had every right to feel aggrieved.

Premier Division new boys Larne took the lead on 11 minutes when former Drogheda United forward Delaney shot in first time after Cliftonville goalkeeper Paul Straney had failed to clear a Jim McCloskey corner.

Cliftonville went close to equalising on 17 minutes when Conor Hagan's neat shot on the turn crashed off the angle of post and crossbar.

Larne's Kieran O'Connor and James Quigley of Cliftonville were booked for first half fouls.

Midfielder Quigley had a decent chance on the half hour for Cliftonville but scooped the ball well over the crossbar.

Then came the monent when Delaney thought he had scored again, netting from close-range after Straney had failed to hold a Mark Parker header.

Good chance

Ref Hiles ruled it out, apparently for a foul on the keeper.

On 62 minutes Barry Patton sent a good chance wide after Larne keeper Andy McDonald had fumbled a cross ball.

Soon afterwards Patton set up Anthony Crawford whose shot was palmed away by McDonald for a corner.

The Reds finally got the equaliser in the 79th minute as Keith Mulvenna went up with Larne defender Alan Murphy to head in when Conor Hagan's free came over from the left.

Second half yellows cards were shown to Larne duo James McDonagh and Gareth Walsh and Cliftonville's Hagan.

In the shoot-out, Larne's Emmanuel Maxwell was the only player not to score, Reds keeper Straney saving his weak kick.

The victory brought Marty Tabb his first trophy as a manager.

"It is a message to the people who doubted me in the past," said Tabb.

"Both teams deserve a lot of praise because the conditions were extremely difficult."

Cliftonville: Straney, Fleming, Branigan, Small, Mulvenna, Quigley, G McMullan, Crawford, Patton, Hagan, Donnelly.
Subs: C McMullan, Gregg, Vernon.

Larne: McDonald, Clifford, Maxwell, Murphy, McDonagh, Dickson, O'Connor, Ogden, Delaney, Parker , McCloskey.
Subs: Walsh, McKinstry, Cowie.

Final scores
See the goals from the CIS League Cup final

Cliftonville's Marty Tabb
"It is a message to those who doubted me"

Cliftonville 1-1 Glentoran
08 Nov 03  |  Irish
Larne 0-2 Coleraine
08 Nov 03  |  Irish

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport