BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 10 December, 2003, 21:58 GMT
Future Scots held by Turkey
Scotland Future 1-1 Turkey Future

Referee Mike Riley sends off Stephen Pearson
Referee Mike Riley sent off two players
Scotland and Turkey shared the spoils in the final Future Cup match at Tannadice in a game ruined by English referee Mike Riley.

The Barclaycard Premiership official won few friends with a series of puzzling decisions and dismissed a player from each side.

Newcastle defender Steven Caldwell headed the Scots in front but, after Riley had dismissed Yusef Simsek and Stephen Pearson in separate incidents before half time, Necati Ates equalised.

The draw means the Turks finished the three-nation tournament, which also featured Germany, as winners, although there was no actual trophy to present.

The Scots started with five players with previous experience of the senior squad in the shape of captain Scott Severin, the Caldwell brothers, Andy Webster and Pearson.

But it was also a chance for manager Berti Vogts to look at some English-based players, with Lee McCulloch of Wigan starting up front and Reading duo Scott Murray and Graeme Murty also in the side.

Scotland started confidently by stringing passes together but it was the Turks who created the early chances, although they could not hit the target.

But Scotland went in front after half an hour when the elder Caldwell lost his marker to head home a Jamie McAllister corner from the near post.

The first red card was shown after 40 minutes when Simsek went in over the top on Murty and five minutes later the sparse crowd was bewildered by the straight red shown to Pearson after he had barged into Tandogan.

Steven Caldwell was the Scotland goal-scorer
Steven Caldwell was the Scotland goal-scorer
Riley's performance did not improve after the restart either as he penalised Greg Shields, who had come on for Murty, and Scott Shearer - who had replaced Craig Gordon - when the latter picked up a half interception in the box.

Tandogan fired goalwards from the indirect free-kick move on the penalty spot and the ball hit various bodies in the box, including what appeared to be the arm of Gary Caldwell.

Riley did not award a penalty but the Turks were more concerned by his failure to spot that the ball had also crossed the line before being hooked away.

His next decision was to award a penalty in the 61st minute when Veysel Cihan, who had come on for Ersen Martin at half time, went down under a Webster challenge.

Shearer saved Ates' spot-kick but could not prevent the Turk from slotting home the rebound.

The Scots made another change in the 71st minute when Doncaster's Michael McIndoe replaced McCulloch.

There was still time for another decision from Riley that failed to please the home crowd - the failure to award a penalty when Tom McManus, who had replaced Severin, was brought down by Tolga Seyhan.

Scotland Future: Gordon, Murty, McAllister, Stephen Caldwell, Webster, Gary Caldwell, Scott Murray, Canero, McCulloch, Severin, Pearson. Subs: Shearer, Shields, McManus, McIndoe, Greer, Mair, Soutar.

Turkey Future: Tuncay, Tandogan, Mercimek, Tolga Seyhan, Cimsir, Atan, Gunes, Bolukbasi, Martin, Simsek, Ates. Subs: Sonmez, Keceli, Kocak, Turan, Cihan, Biryol, Polat.

Referee: Mike Riley (England)

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Other Sport...

Video and Audio | Scores & Fixtures | Have Your Say | TV/Radio Schedule

Fun and Games | Question of Sport | Photo Galleries

Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport