BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Friday, 10 October, 2003, 17:02 GMT 18:02 UK
England U21s slump in Istanbul
Turkey's Fatih Sonkaya, right, fights for the ball with David Prutton
England could not find their way past a dogged Turkey side

Turkey U21s 1-0 England U21s

England's disappointing Euro 2004 Under-21 campaign fizzled out with a lacklustre defeat at the hands of Turkey in Istanbul.

A single goal by Fatih Sonkaya after just two minutes was enough to secure maximum points for Turkey, who will now go to the finals in Portugal as strong contenders.

To make matters worse for the visitors, defender Glen Johnson was sent off in the dying minutes after being awarded two yellow cards in quick succession.

England had already blown their chances of qualification by losing 2-1 to Portugal last month.

David Platt made six changes for the game with Turkey, with Middlesbrough defender Andrew Davies and Portsmouth's Matthew Taylor lining up in a new-look defence.

But England's backline was breached ater just two minutes, when Turkey defender Sonkaya drilled a low shot beyond Derby goalkeeper Lee Grant from a tight angle.

2 mins: Sonkaya breaks free down the right and scores to put Turkey ahead
6 mins: Jagielka hits the cross-bar with a looping effort
71 mins: Wright-Phillips shoots wide after a brilliant run
80 mins: Defoe one-on-one with keeper but his shot is stopped
The home side continued to press forward, with Okan Koc looking the home side's chief threat.

England had just one shot on target in the opening 45 minutes, Phil Jagielka's looping ball back into the area clattering against the cross-bar in the sixth minute.

Shola Ameobi and Johnson had chances to equalise before Shaun Wright-Phillips went agonisingly close on 71 minutes.

The Manchester City midfielder jinked his way through the Turkish defence only to clip his right-foot shot just inches wide of the left-hand post.

Jerman Defoe had another opportunity to salvage a point in the 80th minute, but he blasted his shot straight at the Turkish keeper.

Johnson was then dismissed six minutes from time. His first yellow card was awarded for dissent, the second for a foul on Sinan Kaloglu.

England U21:

Grant, Johnson, Taylor, Sidwell, Davies, Jagielka, Wright-Phillips, Jenas, Ameobi, Defoe, Prutton. Subs: Ridgewell, Burch, Whittingham, Reo-Coker, Ambrose, Bent, Ashton.

Turkey U21:

Biler, Sonkaya, Balci, Cetin, Mercimek, Toroman, Aslan, Sahin, Altintop, Inceman, Koc. Subs: Demirel, Yavuz, Usta, Sumer, Korkmaz, Sarioglu, Kaloglu.

Referee: F. Mayer (Germany)

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Olympics 2012 | Other Sport...

Video and Audio | Scores & Fixtures | Have Your Say | TV/Radio Schedule

Fun and Games | Question of Sport | Photo Galleries

Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport