John Toshack described Wales' 3-1 Euro qualifying defeat in Cyprus as a "debacle" and in his frustration even questioned his own position as manager.
Wales boss John Toshack despaired at Wales' tame loss in Cyprus
Wales took the lead in Nicosia but a series of defensive lapses saw Cyprus hit back to win 3-1 on Saturday.
"I will have to have a long hard look at myself and what I am doing here," said the 58-year-old.
"After what I have seen in this match I am obviously doing something wrong... we were second best everywhere."
Toshack saw a side that had beaten Slovakia 5-2 in their last match slump alarmingly in the Neo GSP Stadium after being ahead at the break through a James Collins goal.
"I was bitterly disappointed by the performance and want to apologise to our fans who made the trip out here to watch this debacle," Toshack added.
"Cyprus were worthy winners and we were fortunate to be 1-0 up at the break.
"We tried to make some changes at the break but went from bad to worse. It was a shocking performance and we did not compete in any areas of the pitch.
"It was very, very disappointing to watch that."
Cyprus coach Angelos Anastasiadis said: "This is how we want to play in every match we play at this level.
"Apart from their goal, Wales had only one other chance.
"We were just much better than them in the second half. Now we go to face the Republic of Ireland next week with confidence.
"But we must not do what we did last year. Then, having beaten the Irish 5-2 here, we went to Wales and lost.
"We must not do that, we must produce a better away record."