The Football Association says it is not close to naming the next England boss.
The FA wants to name Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor by the World Cup finals this summer
The Sunday Mirror has published photos of FA chief executive Brian Barwick with Charlton boss Alan Curbishley, who insists he is committed to the Addicks.
FA director of communications Adrian Bevington told BBC Five Live "It is unfair to say that any individual is the favourite at this stage.
"No decision has been made yet but we aim to have the new manager in place before the World Cup."
Bevington confirmed that Curbishley had talked with the FA and their search would span further than the names already reported in the press.
He added: "Charlton have been very good in the fact that they have granted us permission to speak to Curbishley.
"We would have preferred to have this process conducted with an element of privacy.
"We will be seeing a wide number of people with some names having already been reported and some haven't been reported."
In a statement on Charlton's website, Curbishley said: "Last Friday I attended an informal - and I stress the word informal - meeting with Brian Barwick.
"The meeting was arranged at the request of the FA to discuss the vacancy for the job of England manager. I attended the meeting with the full knowledge and approval of my chairman, Richard Murray.
"I am disappointed that the news of what was supposed to be a private and informal meeting has leaked out to the media.
Curbishley has been in sole charge at Charlton since June 1995
"The FA and I will now be considering our respective positions and any further statements will be made as and when appropriate whether they relate to further discussions or my withdrawal from the process.
"I am totally committed to Charlton Athletic Football Club.
"We have some very important matches coming up in the next few weeks, which can help us achieve our objective of a top-10 league finish and a place in the FA Cup semi-finals, and I will not allow anything to deflect me from achieving those objectives."
The Addicks added a further statement saying they were unhappy that the FA had not consulted them before confirming the approach had been made.
It read: "We have unequivocally respected the FA's specific request not to disclose that permission had been sought or given and we are disappointed that the FA issued a statement without making contact with any official of our club."
With current England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson due to stand down after the World Cup finals this summer, the FA are keen to confirm the new manager before the tournament begins.
Bevington said on Saturday: "The FA made it very clear three weeks ago that once the Uruguay game had taken place chief executive Brian Barwick would begin the process of recruitment for the next England manager.
"We stated at the time that this would involve speaking to numerous individuals, including potential candidates.
"As you would expect, that process is now up and running.
"Until significant progress is made beyond speaking to individuals we believe strongly that the process must be conducted in private.
"It should be noted, however, that the FA would only approach managers to discuss the role after permission had been received from their clubs."
Other names to have been linked with the job are former Celtic manager Martin O'Neill, Bolton boss Sam Allardyce and Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce.
PSV Eindhoven and Australia coach Guus Hiddink, former Bayern Munich boss Ottmar Hitzfeld and Portugal manager Luiz Felipe Scolari are among the foreign candidates.