Martin O'Neill has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Republic of Ireland managerial position.
The ex-Celtic boss was believed to be near the top of the FAI's wanted list to succeed Brian Kerr, who was sacked last week after a 32-month tenure.
"I left football for personal reasons and these circumstances haven't changed one jot. I can't see them changing for the foreseeable future," said O'Neill.
The 53-year-old left Celtic to spend more time with his sick wife Geraldine.
It is believed that if O'Neill does returns to the game, it will be as a club not an international manager.
The former Northern Ireland international added that he had not been approached by the FAI.
"I don't know how my name came into the betting," he said.
Former Japan coach Philippe Troussier has also been ruled out when he was appointed as the new coach of Morocco on Wednesday.
The 50-year-old Frenchman was named on Wednesday as the replacement for Badou Zaki, who resigned earlier this month.
Kerr was sacked after failing to secure qualification for the World Cup finals or the play-offs. Others mentioned as possible contenders are Sir Alex Fergsuon, Roy Keane, Sir Bobby Robson, George Burley, Kenny Dalglish and John Aldridge.
Steve Staunton, who won 102 caps for the Republic, is also believed to be interested in the post.
Aston Villa manager David O'Leary has ruled himself out of the running while Burley became the bookies' favourite following his sudden departure from Hearts on Saturday.
With no competitive fixtures scheduled until next September, the FAI has indicated that it will not be rushed into an appointment.