BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Sunday, 7 March, 2004, 14:55 GMT
Millwall 0-0 Tranmere
Tranmere's Micky Mellon and Dennis Wise
A penalty save from John Achterberg earned Tranmere an FA Cup quarter-final replay against Millwall.

The Dutch shot-stopper tipped Kevin Muscat's spot-kick over the bar after Tim Cahill was fouled by Ryan Taylor.

Millwall missed the best chances of the match, with Achterberg forced into making several brilliant saves.

Cahill had two close-range headers dealt with confidently by the Tranmere keeper while player-manager Dennis Wise saw his 20-yard free-kick palmed away.

Millwall dominated a first-half which saw Achterberg called into action on more than one occasion.

35 mins: Cahill's point-blank header is tipped over
71 mins: Unmarked Cahill heads straight to the keeper
75 mins: Achterberg saves a Muscat penalty

The impressive Cahill, along with winger Paul Ifill and player-manager Wise ran the show for the home side.

It was Wise who first tested the Dutch shot-stopper after 14 minutes when his low curling free-kick brought out a good low save.

The Cahill and Ifill double act then came into play. Great work from Cahill on right resulted in a cleverly played ball into the feet of Ifill.

However, the winger shot from seven-yards out was blocked and cleared.

Moments later, Ifill burst out of his own penalty area and found Cahill, whose low shot 20-yard shot was again cleared away by the impressive Tranmere defence.

But the chance of the half came 10 minutes before the interval, when Cahill's point-blank header from Wise's corner was brilliantly tipped away by Achterberg.

Tranmere came out after the restart with renewed vigour and tested Millwall keeper Andy Marshall almost immediately when Gareth Roberts' 20-yard half-volley had to be tipped away.

Roberts again called Marshall into action when his crossshot into the penalty area had to be pushed away for a corner.

The home side fought back well and the pressure finally paid dividends when they were awarded a penalty after Taylor was adjudged to have pushed over Cahill.

Australia international Muscat stepped up to take the penalty but his effort straight down the middle of Tranmere's goal was brilliantly tipped over by Achterberg.

A frantic final five minutes saw the play bounce from end-to-end but much to Millwall's dismay more than the visitors, there was no final product.

Millwall: Marshall, Muscat, Lawrence, Ward, Ryan (Sweeney 79), Ifill, Cahill, Livermore, Wise, Harris (Braniff 60), Dichio.
Subs Not Used: Gueret, Roberts, McCammon.

Tranmere: Achterberg, Connelly, Goodison, Jones, Taylor, Beresford (Nicholson 90), Mellon, Harrison, Roberts, Hume, Dadi.
Subs Not Used: Howarth, Linwood, Navarro, Loran.

Booked: Dadi.

Attendance: 16,404.

Referee: N Barry (N Lincolnshire).

Tranmere keeper John Achterberg
"It will be a dream for us to reach the semis"

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport