BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Tuesday, 13 January 2004, 22:19 GMT
Wolves 2-0 Kidderminster
Kenny Miller struck either side of the interval to secure victory for Wolves in the FA Cup third round replay.

Kidderminster fell behind just before half time when Vio Ganea headed across goal for Miller to redirect the ball past the wrong-footed Stuart Brock.

Harriers went in search of an equaliser after the break.

But Miller got a lucky second after his cross from the right eluded everyone and bounced over the line.

Wolves had earned the right to their third round rematch after Alex Rae scored a last-gasp equaliser to cancel out John Williams' goal when the sides first met at Aggborough 10 days ago.

But the visitors showed no sign of stage fright as Jesper Christiansen ranged forward to unleash a first-minute shot with the outside of the boot which sailed well wide.

Moments later Paul Butler proved unable to head home at the back post following Shaun Newton's free-kick from the right and it was left for Miller to force the first save from Brock.

As Wolves sought to turn the screw desperate defending saved Kidderminster as another Newton set-piece created havoc in the penalty area before Williams hoofed clear.

Kidderminster's most promising effort of the opening period fell to Graham Ward but the midfielder's low effort was marginally wide.

However, with 10 minutes to half time Mark Kennedy's free-kick picked out Ganea at the far post and he headed back across goal where Miller slotted home.

Ganea could have doubled Wolves' advantage before the interval but his shot on the turn was blasted wide, although it proved a more worthy effort than the 20-yard free-kick Kennedy spooned high into the stand.

In the second half, Harriers threatened to get a foothold in the game but just as they looked like making the most of their possession Miller broke the underdogs' hearts with a fortuitous second.

His a cross from the right wing eluded Brock and - confirmed by the linesman - bounced over the line despite Craig Hinton's best efforts to clear.

Wolverhampton: Oakes, Luzhny, Clyde, Craddock, Butler, Newton, Kennedy (Silas 90), Andrews, Gudjonsson, Miller, Ganea (Iversen 82).
Subs Not Used: Ikeme, Rae, Cameron.

Booked: Butler, Clyde, Oakes, Andrews.

Kidderminster: Brock, Smith, Stamps, Hatswell, Hinton, Ward, Parrish (Rickards 77), Danny Williams, Bennett, Henriksen, Christiansen (John Williams 77).
Subs Not Used: Gadsby, Danby, White.

Booked: Stamps, Henriksen.

Attendance: 25,808.

Referee: M Messias (N Yorkshire).

BBC Sport's Alan Green
"Kidderminster played much the better football"

Kidderminster's Craig Hinton

Kidderminster 1-1 Wolves
03 Jan 04 |  FA Cup
Molby tips Wolves upset
04 Jan 04 |  FA Cup

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport