Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated:  Sunday, 9 March, 2003, 15:25 GMT
Burnley stung by Hornets
Smith sweeps home the opener
Watford 2-0 Burnley

Goals from Tommy Smith and Stephen Glass in the last 20 minutes sent Watford into the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Smith struck first after Burnley failed to clear a corner and then 10 minutes from time Glass hit a sensational 20-yard free-kick to book his side's place in the last four.

It had been a disappointing encounter until then, with possession regularly squandered and clear-cut chances at a premium.

Burnley struggled to create much in the way of openings and were made to pay for their profligacy on the ball.

The visitors, though, had made the better start, with big striker Gareth Taylor winning plenty of headers and causing problems for the Watford rearguard.

It was a scappy game and a scrappy goal, but we plugged away until the last minute
Tommy Smith

The only real chance of the first period fell to Taylor, but he headed Dean West's cross wide after four minutes.

The home side did eventually force their way into the contest but struggled to create any clear-cut openings, with the principal threat coming from corners.

Their best effort came from such a set-piece in first-half injury time, but Heidar Helguson headed Neal Ardley's centre over the bar.

Watford came out after the interval in much improved fashion and they began to take the game to the visitors.


Three minutes before the hour mark the Hornets had a golden chance to go in front.

Burnley failed to clear another corner, and when Marcus Gayle swung in a brilliant cross from the left, Helguson somehow contrived to slice the ball wide from six yards.

Clarets' boss Stan Ternent immediately made a change, replacing the ineffectual Alan Moore with Glen Little.

Within a minute Little had fired in a right-footed volley from the edge of the box that only just cleared Alec Chamberlain's crossbar.

Helguson was seeing more of the ball and with 17 minutes left he forced a stunning save from Marlon Beresford.

From the resulting corner, the home side went ahead.

Burnley failed to clear Ardley's corner and in the ensuing melee Smith turned sharply to sweep the ball home from six yards.

The Hornets made sure of their place in the last four with a terrific second 10 minutes from the end.

Helguson was fouled on the edge of the box and Glass curled a beautiful left-foot shot into the top corner to give Beresford no chance.

Watford: Chamberlain, Ardley, Cox, Gayle, Robinson, Mahon, Vernazza (Hand 65), Hyde, Glass, Helguson, Tommy Smith (Noel-Williams 77). Subs Not Used: Dyche, McNamee, Lee.

Booked: Hyde.

Burnley: Beresford, West, Diallo, Cox, Branch, Ian Moore, Grant (Blake 76), Cook (Stephen Davis 67), Briscoe, Alan Moore (Little 57), Taylor. Subs Not Used: Michopoulos, Weller.

Booked: Taylor, Cox.

Attendance: 20,336.

Referee: A Wiley (Staffordshire).

Stephen Glass and Tommy Smith
The Watford goalscorers talk after the match

Burnley boss Sten Ternent
"I'm proud of the team for getting this far"



E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport