Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated:  Saturday, 8 March, 2003, 19:11 GMT
Chelsea hold Arsenal
Chelsea saviour Frank Lampard celebrates after scoring the equaliser
Lampard was Chelsea's saviour
Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea

Frank Lampard's late equaliser earned Chelsea an FA Cup quarter-final replay and put a temporary halt to Arsenal's assault on a second successive Double.

Arsenal looked on course to repeat their victory in last season's final in Cardiff, despite John Terry giving Chelsea a shock early lead.

Francis Jeffers and Thierry Henry - who had seen an earlier penalty saved by Chelsea goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini - put the holders ahead before the interval.

But Chelsea refused to buckle and Claudio Ranieri's side levelled through Lampard with eight minutes left to set up a replay at Stamford Bridge.

Arsenal left out Gilberto Silva, Robert Pires, Sylvain Wiltord and Dennis Bergkamp from their starting line-up.

We were devastated at half-time after Henry's goal but we showed great character in the second half
Frank Lampard

And Chelsea made the perfect start to take advantage of uncharacteristically sloppy Arsenal defending after two minutes.

Gianfranco Zola had already tested Seaman in the opening seconds before Chelsea took the lead.

Arsenal appealed for offside when Jesper Gronkjaer's cross found Terry, but the defender had timed his run to perfection to head past Seaman.

The Gunners were shaken out of their usual composed stride, but were thrown a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty in the 19th minute.

Goalkeeper Cudicini got the slightest touch as he raced from goal to challenge Jeffers, but it was enough to persuade referee Paul Durkin to point to the spot.


Chelsea were furious, but also relieved when Cudicini was only awarded a yellow card.

Cudicini clearly felt justice was done when he dived to his right to brilliantly save Henry's resulting penalty.

But all Chelsea's good work went to waste when they allowed Arsenal to equalise in farcical fashion 10 minutes before the interval.

Cudicini appeared to have averted danger when he saved from Freddie Ljungberg, but Celestine Babayaro made a hash of his clearance and allowed the lurking Jeffers to scramble home.

Arsenal were suddenly revived, and almost took the lead three minutes later when Henry beat Cudicini but struck the post.

The reprieve was short-lived however - and Arsenal turned the tables on Chelsea as they took the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Arsenal players celebrate going ahead
Arsenal were ahead at the break

Patrick Vieira released Henry, who demonstrated brilliant composure and balance to turn around Cudicini and score.

Chelsea coach Ranieri made a change at half-time, replacing Zola with Boudewijn Zenden.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink had been quiet, but should have done better than shoot straight at Seaman when clear on goal after 53 minutes.

The Blues were still under severe pressure, but wasted a glorious opportunity to equalise when they broke Arsenal's shackles with 16 minutes left.

Hasselbaink's free-kick left William Gallas clear in front of goal, but he headed tamely over the top.

And it was Hasselbaink who was the villain again as time started to run out for Chelsea.

However, Chelsea continued to edge their way back into contention and equalised with eight minutes left.

Zenden's corner caused an outbreak of mass confusion in the Arsenal six-yard box and Lampard got the final touch to score.

There was still time for Cudicini to make a brilliant save from Giovanni van Bronckhorst's free-kick with the last kick of the game before Chelsea could celebrate earning a replay.

Arsenal: Seaman, Lauren, Keown, Campbell, Van Bronckhorst, Ljungberg (Pires 64), Parlour, Vieira, Edu, Jeffers (Wiltord 65), Henry (Toure 78). Subs Not Used: Cygan, Warmuz.

Booked: Edu.

Chelsea: Cudicini, Melchiot, Gallas, Terry, Babayaro, Gronkjaer (De Lucas 72), Lampard, Petit (Gudjohnsen 72), Morris, Hasselbaink, Zola (Zenden 45). Subs Not Used: Huth, Evans.

Booked: Cudicini, Morris.

Attendance: 38,104

Referee: P Durkin (Dorset).

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard
"The spirit brought us the result in the end"

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger
"We didn't push enough in the second half"



E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport