BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Tuesday, 18 February, 2003, 17:48 GMT
Burnley hold Fulham
Alan Moore's goal gave Burnley real hope of causing a Cup shock
Alan Moore (left) gave Burnley an early lead
Fulham 1-1 Burnley

Burnley deservedly held Fulham to secure a replay in their FA Cup fifth-round tie at Loftus Road.

Clarets forward Alan Moore had given the Division One team an early lead with a superbly-taken goal.

But Fulham, struggling in the Premiership, just about justified their equaliser through Steed Malbranque shortly before half-time.

The Cottagers created most of the game's few good chances but can hardly complain at being held by a team who defended stoutly and asked questions of the Fulham defence at every possible opportunity.

Alan Moore's goal came after just four minutes.

4 mins: Alan Moore puts Burnley in the lead
24 mins: Saha shoots over
45 mins: Malbranque superbly equalises
He latched onto a misplaced pass in midfield and ran towards goal as the Fulham defence fatally backed off, before slipping the ball past Maik Taylor.

Fulham almost immediately equalised, but Facundo Sava's shot from a tight angle blazed narrowly over the crossbar.

I think it was a fair result

Stan Ternent
And Louis Saha wasted an even better opportunity to restore parity after 24 minutes.

Sava's header put Saha clean through on goal, but the French striker stabbed the ball over the crossbar from 12 yards.

But just when it seemed the Clarets would hold on to take their advantage into the break Fulham equalised.

Ian Cox's looping clearance dropped to Malbranque, who had time to control the ball on his chest before striking home on the half-volley.

Tony Grant (left) gets to grips with Steed Malbranque
Burnley competed superbly throughout
Both teams played positively at the start of the second half, with Saha once again shooting over after making a diagonal run across the Burnley defence.

Steve Marlet also went close twice in a matter of minutes, but his first shot hitt the side netting and his second was saved by Marlon Beresford.

Burnley continued to cause Fulham problems with their combative style and Lee Briscoe forced Maik Taylor into action with a powerful snap-shot from the edge of the area.

Fulham boss Jean Tigana introduced Junichi Inamoto but the Japan international had little effect on the tie and Burnley comfortably held on for a replay at Turf Moor.

Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Goma, Melville, Harley, Goldbaek (Marlet 45), Sean Davis, Djetou, Malbranque, Sava (Inamoto 72), Saha.
Subs not used: Herrera, Ouaddou, Wome.

Burnley: Beresford, West, Diallo, Cox, Branch, Ian Moore, Grant, Cook (McGregor 82), Briscoe, Alan Moore (Weller 77), Taylor.
Subs not used: Michopoulos, Blake, Papadopoulos.

Booked: West.

Attendance: 13,062

Referee: G Poll (Hertfordshire).

BBC Five Live's Mike Sewell
"Burnley could not have hoped for a better start"

Quarter-final draw

Sunday's games

Saturday's games

Fun and games

Have your say

Internet link
Click here for the latest news from My Club section

News and Statistics

Match coverage

Daily club news
Click here for all the latest from the My Club section

Match coverage
Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales