BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Tuesday, 7 January, 2003, 22:17 GMT
Gills stroll past Owls
Gillingham's Marlon King scores from the penalty spot
King fires home a penalty for his second of the night
Gillingham 4-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Gillingham recovered from an early setback against an under-strength Sheffield Wednesday side to cruise into the FA Cup fourth round and seal a lucrative home tie against Leeds.

The visitors got off to the perfect start when Alan Quinn crossed for Sibon to nod home his eighth goal of the season after five minutes.

Playing Leeds at home is great news financially for the club

Andy Hessenthaler
But two goals from Marlon King and a third from Guy Ipoua gave the Gills a commanding half-time lead at Priestfield.

King missed a penalty after the break before Chris Hope took the match beyond Wednesday with a towering header.

5 mins: Sibon puts Wednesday in front
8 mins: King scores for the Gills
18 mins: King scores from the penalty spot
41 mins: Ipoua extends Gillingham's lead
74 mins: Hope heads home for the Gills
Gillingham equalised eight minutes after Sibon's opener for Wednesday when Nayron Nosworthy crossed for King to drill a shot into the bottom corner.

The Gills went ahead in the 18th minute when Owls defender Ashley Westwood handled the ball in the area and King hit the penalty into the roof of the net for his seventh of the season.

And four minutes before the break Ipoua pounced on a loose ball to score his first goal in nine games.

King's stinging shot was only parried by Stringer and the Cameroon forward was on hand to turn in the rebound.

Wednesday started the second half brightly and Quinn forced a fine stop from Jason Brown with a powerful volley after 47 minutes.

We had too many lightweights who can't handle that sort of battle

Chris Turner
But Gillingham were quickly back in the driving seat and were awarded a second penalty in the 66th minute after Crane brought down Shaw in the box.

King was denied his hat-trick, though, as Stringer palmed his effort away to safety.

Less than 10 minutes later Hessenthaler's deep cross picked out Hope, and he gave Wednesday's keeper no chance with a strong header to guarantee the Gills' passage into the fourth round.

Gillingham: Brown, Southall, Ashby, Hope, Nosworthy, Hessenthaler (Spiller 80), Smith, Saunders, Shaw, King, Ipoua (Sidibe 77).
Subs Not Used: Bartram, Leon Johnson, Perpetuini.

Sheff Wed: Stringer, Westwood, Crane, Bromby, Beswetherick, Quinn, Haslam, Soltvedt, Morrison (Knight 60), Sibon (Jon Shaw 75), Kuqi.
Subs Not Used: Evans, Maddix, Matthew Shaw.

Booked: Morrison.

Attendance: 6,434

Referee: P Taylor.

BBC Five Live's Simon Mann
"Wednesday were forced into seven changes and it showed"
Gillingham boss Andy Hessenthaler
"At times we controlled it with some decent football"
Sheffield Wednesday boss Chris Turner
"I'm disgusted with certain individuals"

Fourth round draw

Tuesday's game

Saturday's games

Sunday's games

Mini Mike returns

Have your say

Internet link
Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales