BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

Tuesday, 11 February, 2003, 22:51 GMT
Foxes hold off dogged Bristol
Paul Dickov
Dickov sealed the win in the 75th minute

Leicester City 2-0 Bristol City

Leicester City tentatively booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup with a goal either side of half-time against a dogged Bristol City.

The Foxes were made to work by the Division Two visitors, who dominated for long periods but failed to convert a single chance.

But Matt Elliott did find the net in the dying moments of the first half before Paul Dickov sealed the victory and a flattering winning margin after the break.

Injury and suspension forced a string of changes to Micky Adams' line-up, with Muzzy Izzet and James Scowcroft among those missing.

When you are 74m in debt a cup run is a good thing

Leicester manager Mickey Adams

And a weakened home side looked ill at ease when Bristol City striker Lee Peacock fired an early strike from six yards into the hands of Ian Walker.

Peacock continued to trouble the Division One side in tandem with strike partner Scott Murray, but both steered good chances over the crossbar.

Leicester took until stoppage time to make their first telling breakthrough.

Nicky Summerbee swept the ball into the box from a free-kick, Dickov pulled it back to Elliott who smashed the ball into the back of the net.

Key moments
45mins: Elliott slams ball past Phillips
75mins: Dickov makes it two from close range
84mins: Walker fends out Doherty strike

City continued to pile on the pressure in the second half and surprisingly had the majority of possession.

But their failure to produce the telling final ball was punished again by the Foxes.

And once again it was with their only clear-cut opportunity of the half.

At no point did they cut through us, not by any stretch of the imagination - we were superb

Bristol City manager Danny Wilson

In the 75th minute, Dickov went from provider to scorer, coolly sliding the ball past Steve Phillips after connecting perfectly with another Summerbee cross.

Despite being seemingly out of the contest, the Robins refused to be daunted by the challenge facing them.

And six minutes from time, they looked to have found the target through Tommy Doherty, but Walker pulled off an acrobatic save to steer the ball out of danger and protect Leicester's two-goal cushion.

Leicester: Walker, Impey, Elliott, Sinclair, Rogers, Summerbee (Heath 90), McKinlay, Lewis (Jones 54), Stewart (Benjamin 53), Dickov, Deane.
Subs Not Used: Stevenson, Royce.

Booked: Summerbee, Jones.

Bristol City: Phillips, Coles, Hill, Butler, Bell, Murray, Burnell, Doherty, Tinnion (Beadle 82), Peacock, Roberts (Rosenior 63).
Subs Not Used: Carey, Aaron Brown, Stowell.

Booked: Hill.

Att: 25,868

Referee: M Messias (N Yorkshire).

Leicester boss Mickey Adams
"I felt comfortable all the way through"

Fourth round draw

Tuesday's game

Saturday's games

Sunday's games

Mini Mike returns

Have your say

Internet link
Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales