Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Saturday, 5 January, 2002, 17:41 GMT
Shaw shocks Wolves
Gillingham mob cup hero Paul Shaw
The Gillingham team mob cup hero Paul Shaw
Wolves 0-1 Gillingham

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Wolves were booed off after being deservedly knocked out of the FA Cup third round by First Division rivals Gillingham at a rain-lashed Molineux.

A tremendous 52nd-minute goal by Paul Shaw saw the visitors through and the winning margin would have been greater but for three fine saves by home keeper Michael Oakes.

Dave Jones' promotion-chasers did not manage a single on-target effort in the first half despite having plenty of possession and they improved only marginally in the second period.

Gillingham are only in mid-table with no real promotion aspirations and they seem to have a greater appetite for the Cup, as was shown by their celebrations at the final whistle.

It was a great team performance. We created some good chances and the keeper made some terrific saves
Gillingham boss Andy Hessenthaler

In front of a crowd of just over 15,000, Wolves had most of the early play without seriously looking like breaking through.

When Gillingham replied, they immediately looked more dangerous and Marlon King brought a fine save from Oakes' legs from a one-on-one chance set up by Marcus Browning.

Wolves were forced into a substitution 29 minutes into a dull first half when striker Nathan Blake was replaced by the fit-again Kenny Miller following a clash of heads with Chris Hope.

But Shaw curled a shot narrowly wide from the corner of the area and King demanded another flying stop from Oakes, who also had to dive on a headed back-pass by Mohamed Camara.

The winning goal that made it a miserable 50th match in charge for Jones came following a 52nd-minute corner on the left by David Perpetuini.

This ranks as one of the worst performances I have seen from us. We were very negative in the first half and played safety football
Wolves' manager Dave Jones

Wolves only half cleared and Shaw struck with a tremendous 25-yard shot which flew past the diving Oakes.

The equaliser might have come four minutes later when Alex Rae netted after former Wolves keeper Vince Bartram had saved superbly from Colin Cameron.

But a linesman's flag cut short the former Sunderland midfielder's celebrations.

Hope headed narrowly wide as Gillingham chased a second goal while Paul Butler, twice, and Dean Sturridge were narrowly off-target at the other end.

But Wolves could have no complaints at suffering their sixth home defeat of the season.

Wolverhampton: Oakes, Muscat (Roussel 67), Butler, Pollet, Camara, Newton, Rae, Cameron, Kennedy, Blake (Miller 30), Sturridge.

Subs Not Used: Robinson, Naylor, Murray.

Booked: Newton.

Gillingham: Bartram, Nosworthy, Hope, Ashby, Browning, Perpetuini, Smith, Osborn, King, Onuora (Ipoua 78), Shaw (Gooden 75).

Subs Not Used: Patterson, Butters, Saunders.

Attendance: 15,271

Referee: M Jones (Chester).

BBC Sport's Jonathan Legard
"The crowd would have had more fun counting raindrops"
Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

^^ Back to top