Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Tuesday, 27 November, 2001, 22:54 GMT
Plymouth 3-2 Whitby

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Plymouth Argyle will host Division Three rivals Bristol Rovers in the second round of the FA Cup after a replay win over Whitby at Home Park.

They had to overcome a second-half Whitby comeback having been reduced to 10 men after the dismissal of striker Mike Evans in the 37th minute.

Plymouth went 1-0 up in the 16th minute when Evans flicked David Worrell's through-ball into the path of Canada international Jason Bent, who swept it past Phil Naisbett.

In-form Plymouth continued to force the pace and, despite Evans' red card for a push, they quickly got back on track as Ian Stonebridge scored in the 40th minute following good work from Brian McGlinchey and Lee Hodges.

They went 3-0 ahead just before half-time when a quick break down the left caught Whitby cold.

David Friio sent the ball forward to Bent, whose effort was saved by Naisbett but he could only parry the ball to Martin Phillips, who slotted home for his eighth goal of the season.

Whitby withstood some early second-half pressure but then pulled themselves right back into the tie with two goals in three minutes midway through the second half.

In the 69th minute, Jamie Burt volleyed home from close range, and three minutes later Graham Robinson caught the Plymouth defence napping again and smashed the ball home from close range.

Plymouth: Larrieu, Worrell, Wotton, Coughlan, McGlinchey, Phillips, Friio, Bent, Hodges, Evans, Stonebridge. Subs: McCormick, Beswetherick, Adams, Wills, Keith.

Whitby: Naisbett, Rennison, Dixon, Goodchild, Logan, Key, Graham Williams, Gildea, Ure, Burt, Robinson. Subs: Anderson, Allen, Graham, Dunning, Mohan.

Referee: P Durkin (Dorset).

See also:

17 Nov 01 |  FA Cup
Whitby 1-1 Plymouth
Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

^^ Back to top