QPR 0 - 1 Chelsea
Page last updated at 13:57 GMT, Saturday, 28 January 2012
Juan Mata's controversial second-half penalty earned Chelsea victory over west London rivals QPR and sent them into the fifth round of the FA Cup.
Mata scored from 12 yards after Clint Hill was adjudged to have barged over Daniel Sturridge, a decision that looked harsh on replays.
Moments earlier, Chelsea had claimed a penalty when Hill tripped Sturridge.
In a game of few chances, Mata forced a low save from Paddy Kenny, while Ramires suffered a knee injury.
Much of the pre-match talk centred on whether there would be a conciliatory handshake between John Terry and Anton Ferdinand, in the first meeting between the sides since Terry was charged with racially abusing Ferdinand in October's Premier League game.
But neither player was given the option as the Football Association announced before kick-off that there would be no customary pre-match handshakes between the sides.
While the atmosphere was fiery off the pitch, on it both sides played out a poor first half which lacked creativity.
Mata had the only clear chance, forcing Kenny into a decent low save from the edge of the box after seizing on Luke Young's slip.
Joey Barton wasted QPR's best effort, a half-volley from 20 yards which went comfortably wide of Petr Cech's post.
Mata was the game's outstanding player and his delightful back heel played in Ramires, but the Brazilian's delivery across the face of the goal was missed by the Chelsea forward line.
Chelsea started the second half brightly and Sturridge went close, sending a fierce drive from the edge of the area narrowly wide after Fernando Torres played him in.
AnalysisContinue reading the main story
I was disappointed there was not more creativity on the pitch, especially considering the players on show. It was a tame effort from QPR
QPR were struggling to get a foothold in the game and had no penetration up front, despite the introduction of Federico Macheda at half-time.
The visitors were aggrieved not to win a penalty after Hill's challenge on the lively Sturridge, but referee Mike Dean waved away appeals.
However, moments later Chelsea were awarded a penalty that looked less obvious when Hill was deemed to have bundled over Sturridge, who went to ground easily.
Mata dispatched the penalty expertly, sending Kenny the wrong way and finding the bottom left-hand corner of the net to give Chelsea a 60th-minute lead.
The action on the pitch led to some unsavoury incidents off it, with reports of objects being thrown by fans, while Dean spoke with a steward in the crowd about another incident during a break in play.
With 15 minutes remaining, Ramires blocked a shot from Hill, leading to a lengthy delay and the Chelsea player being carried off on a stretcher with suspected knee ligament damage.
The delay hindered QPR's attempts for an equaliser, with Mark Hughes's side finding it near impossible to gain any momentum and penetrate Chelsea's defence.
But the announcement of seven minutes of injury time spurred them on and, in the final seconds, Young forced a decent low save from Cech before Shaun Wright-Phillips's volley missed the target.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 28 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Kenny
- 03 Hill
- 05 Hall yellow card
- 18 Young
- 35 Ferdinand
- 14 Buzsaky (Hulse 79)
- 17 Barton
- 32 Wright-Phillips yellow card
- 12 Mackie
- 21 Smith
- 22 Helguson (Macheda 46)
- 01 Cech
- 02 Ivanovic
- 03 Cole yellow card
- 04 David Luiz
- 26 Terry
- 07 Ramires (Romeu 79 yellow card)
- 15 Malouda
- 16 Meireles
- 09 Torres
- 10 Mata (Essien 90+1)
- 23 Sturridge
- QPR 43%
- Chelsea 57%
Attempts on target
- QPR 3
- Chelsea 5
Attempts off target
- QPR 4
- Chelsea 8
- QPR 3
- Chelsea 5
- QPR 11
- Chelsea 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+8:18 The match has reached full-time.
- 90:00+7:47 Shaun Wright-Phillips takes a shot from deep inside the box clearing the bar.
- 90:00+7:26 Shot from 18 yards by Luke Young. Save by Petr Cech.
- 90:00+7:07 The official flags Fernando Torres offside. Indirect free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 90:00+5:08 Free kick crossed by Joey Barton, save made by Petr Cech.
- 90:00+5:08 Booking The referee cautions Oriol Romeu for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+5:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Rob Hulse by Oriol Romeu.
- 90:00+2:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Michael Essien by Joey Barton. Florent Malouda restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:17 Substitution (Chelsea) makes a substitution, with Michael Essien coming on for Juan Mata.
- 85:46 Unfair challenge on Rob Hulse by David Luiz results in a free kick. Joey Barton crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from right wing, Ashley Cole manages to make a clearance.
- 82:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Federico Macheda on Branislav Ivanovic. Direct free kick taken by Petr Cech.
- 80:44 Corner taken right-footed by Joey Barton.
- 78:25 Substitution Rob Hulse replaces Akos Buzsaky.
- 78:04 Substitution Oriol Romeu comes on in place of Ramires.
- 72:36 Free kick crossed by Joey Barton, save by Petr Cech. Tommy Smith takes a shot. Ramires gets a block in.
- 72:36 Booking Ashley Cole booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 72:28 Unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips by Ashley Cole results in a free kick.
- 66:14 Corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Federico Macheda.
- 66:03 Daniel Sturridge takes a shot. Blocked by Tommy Smith.
- 62:19 Corner taken by Joey Barton from the right by-line, clearance made by John Terry.
- 61:18 The assist for the goal came from Daniel Sturridge.
- 61:18 GOAL - Juan Mata:QPR 0 - 1 Chelsea Juan Mata scores a power penalty. QPR 0-1 Chelsea.
- 59:40 Clint Hill gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on Daniel Sturridge.
- 59:17 Shaun Wright-Phillips takes a shot. Save by Petr Cech.
- 58:47 Fernando Torres challenges Akos Buzsaky unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Anton Ferdinand.
- 57:36 Corner taken by Juan Mata from the right by-line, save by Patrick Kenny.
- 54:14 Fernando Torres concedes a free kick for a foul on Joey Barton. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:29 Shot from long range by David Luiz misses to the left of the goal.
- 51:28 Effort on goal by Daniel Sturridge from just inside the penalty area goes over the target.
- 50:21 Corner taken left-footed by Juan Mata to the near post, Clint Hill makes a clearance.
- 49:28 Juan Mata takes a shot. Save by Patrick Kenny.
- 48:54 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ashley Cole by Jamie Mackie. Juan Mata takes the free kick.
- 47:46 Fernando Torres concedes a free kick for a foul on Shaun Wright-Phillips. Patrick Kenny takes the direct free kick.
- 47:11 Shot by Daniel Sturridge from 12 yards. Luke Young gets a block in.
- 46:52 Free kick crossed left-footed by Juan Mata, clearance by Joey Barton.
- 46:52 Booking Fitz Hall goes into the referee's book.
- 46:50 Handball by Fitz Hall.
- 46:16 Tommy Smith takes a shot. Blocked by Raul Meireles.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Heidar Helguson leaves the field to be replaced by Federico Macheda.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:51 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:54 Fernando Torres is caught offside. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 43:10 Florent Malouda has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 39:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jamie Mackie on Ashley Cole. Juan Mata crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing. Juan Mata takes a shot. Akos Buzsaky gets a block in.
- 37:12 Corner taken right-footed by Joey Barton to the near post, Ramires manages to make a clearance.
- 35:39 Shaun Wright-Phillips produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 34:29 Akos Buzsaky challenges Ramires unfairly and gives away a free kick. Raul Meireles restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:47 Daniel Sturridge challenges Heidar Helguson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Anton Ferdinand.
- 33:17 Effort from just outside the area by Raul Meireles goes over the target.
- 28:33 Free kick taken by David Luiz.
- 28:33 Booking Shaun Wright-Phillips goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 28:26 Foul by Shaun Wright-Phillips on Florent Malouda, free kick awarded.
- 25:41 Heidar Helguson fouled by Raul Meireles, the ref awards a free kick. Patrick Kenny takes the direct free kick.
- 24:22 David Luiz fouled by Heidar Helguson, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Luiz.
- 21:52 Corner taken left-footed by Juan Mata from the left by-line, Shot from inside the area by David Luiz clears the bar.
- 21:13 Daniel Sturridge fouled by Clint Hill, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Branislav Ivanovic.
- 19:36 Unfair challenge on Ashley Cole by Heidar Helguson results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Ashley Cole.
- 15:26 Heidar Helguson fouled by Branislav Ivanovic, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Joey Barton, David Luiz manages to make a clearance.
- 14:58 Ramires gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips. Free kick taken by Patrick Kenny.
- 13:51 Joey Barton produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses wide left of the target.
- 12:34 Unfair challenge on Joey Barton by Ramires results in a free kick. Clint Hill restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:32 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Juan Mata played to the near post, Close range effort by Florent Malouda goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 11:10 Juan Mata takes a shot. Patrick Kenny makes a save. Ramires takes a shot. Luke Young gets a block in.
- 10:25 Free kick awarded for a foul by Branislav Ivanovic on Heidar Helguson. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Joey Barton, David Luiz makes a clearance.
- 8:54 Joey Barton gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ramires. Direct free kick taken by Ramires.
- 8:15 Effort from long range by Daniel Sturridge goes wide right of the target.
- 1:38 The referee blows for offside. Patrick Kenny restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results