Liverpool 2 - 1 Man Utd
Page last updated at 16:46 GMT, Saturday, 28 January 2012
Dirk Kuyt's late strike earned Liverpool a dramatic victory over Manchester United in the FA Cup fourth round at Anfield.
The tie seemed destined for a replay at Old Trafford as Ji-Sung Park's powerful shot put United level after Daniel Agger had headed Liverpool into the lead - but there was a late twist to a surprisingly flat encounter.
Liverpool substitute Kuyt escaped the attentions of Patrice Evra with two minutes left to latch on to Andy Carroll's flick and fire past United goalkeeper David de Gea in front of an ecstatic Kop.
It capped a perfect four days for Liverpool and manager Kenny Dalglish after reaching the Carling Cup final and their first Wembley appearance since 1996 at the expense of Manchester City on Wednesday, then sending their fierce rivals out of the FA Cup to reach the last 16.
Phil McNulty's blogContinue reading the main story
Patrice Evra's ordeal concluded with his Manchester United captain's armband tossed away in the despair of defeat on the Anfield turf. For David de Gea, the torment shows no sign of ending.Read more of Phil's blog
The backdrop to the game was the incident involving Liverpool's Luis Suarez and Evra in the Premier League game at Anfield in October that led to the Uruguayan being banned for eight games by the Football Association for racially abusing the United defender.
And despite pleas for calm, Evra was jeered loudly by Liverpool's supporters every time he gained possession.
United have now failed to win at Anfield since 2007 and manager Sir Alex Ferguson saw a gamble on keeper De Gea fail to reap dividends as the young Spaniard endured a desperate afternoon.
He failed to command his area for Agger's opener then brought pressure on United in the second half with his inability to complete a simple clearance in his area and mishandling that did nothing to ease mounting Liverpool pressure.
United were without Wayne Rooney as he recovered from knee and ankle injuries while De Gea was restored in goal with Anders Lindegaard dropping to the bench.
ANALYSISContinue reading the main story
It wasn't a great game at all - the majority was somewhat sterile. In the whole 48 minutes of the second half there were two chances and both fell to Liverpool. They just about pinched this game from under the noses of Manchester United who, for all their possession, never really created any chances whatsoever
De Gea was in action in the third minute as he dived to his right to turn away Maxi Rodriguez's low shot as Liverpool attempted to take control early on.
It was United, however, who dominated possession with Paul Scholes the orchestrator of a game that was played at a tempo that suited Ferguson's side.
Ryan Giggs tested Reina with a low shot and the dangerous Antonio Valencia struck the outside of an upright - but it was Liverpool who took the lead after 21 minutes.
United keeper De Gea was unable to make his presence felt in the company of Carroll at Steven Gerrard's corner, allowing Agger to take advantage of the uncertainty to head home.
Liverpool went into retreat after scoring, allowing United to enjoy a lengthy spell of possession that concluded with Park's leveller six minutes before the interval.
Jose Enrique should have dealt with a ball into the corner, but he hesitated and allowed Rafael to cross for Park to thump a powerful finish into the bottom corner beyond Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina, who had no chance.
Martin Skrtel had to be alert after the restart to rescue Liverpool after Danny Welbeck flicked a pass past Reina towards an unguarded goal.
Liverpool were being offered hope by the uncertainty of United keeper De Gea, who put his defence under pressure when he failed to complete a simple clearance then allowed a cross to slip through his hands to needlessly concede a corner.
Dalglish then used his substitutes in quick succession, sending on Charlie Adam and Kuyt for Maxi and Jamie Carragher before throwing Craig Bellamy into the fray in place of tiring captain Gerrard with 18 minutes left.
It prompted Ferguson to make a change of his own as Javier Hernandez took the place of Scholes, who had barely wasted a pass in any area of the pitch.
In his absence Liverpool were able to push United back towards their own goal and the winning strike came with two minutes left.
Reina's clearance was flicked on by Carroll and Evra lost Kuyt, allowing the striker to beat De Gea with a low shot in front an exultant Kop.
Kuyt could have made it 3-1 moments later when Carroll crashed a header against the angle of post and crossbar but the striker stabbed the rebound wide.
It made no difference as there was no way back for United.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 28 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 25 Reina
- 03 Jose Enrique
- 05 Agger
- 23 Carragher (Kuyt 63)
- 34 Kelly
- 37 Skrtel
- 08 Gerrard (Bellamy 72)
- 11 Maxi (Adam 63)
- 14 Henderson
- 19 Downing
- 09 Carroll
- 01 De Gea
- 03 Evra
- 06 Evans
- 12 Smalling
- 21 Rafael yellow card
- 11 Giggs (Berbatov 90)
- 13 Park Ji-sung
- 16 Carrick
- 22 Scholes (Hernandez 76)
- 25 Valencia
- 19 Welbeck
- Liverpool 43%
- Man Utd 57%
Attempts on target
- Liverpool 9
- Man Utd 3
Attempts off target
- Liverpool 5
- Man Utd 6
- Liverpool 5
- Man Utd 1
- Liverpool 11
- Man Utd 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:16 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 89:17 Substitution Ryan Giggs leaves the field to be replaced by Dimitar Berbatov.
- 89:00 Effort from deep inside the area by Dirk Kuyt misses to the right of the target.
- 88:35 A cross is delivered by Sanchez Jose Enrique, Andy Carroll takes a shot.
- 87:21 Andy Carroll provided the assist for the goal.
- 87:21 GOAL - Dirk Kuyt:Liverpool 2 - 1 Man Utd Dirk Kuyt gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the box low into the middle of the goal. Liverpool 2-1 Man Utd.
- 86:48 Shot from just outside the area by Danny Welbeck misses to the right of the target.
- 85:19 Danny Welbeck has a drilled shot. Blocked by Martin Skrtel.
- 83:19 The assistant referee flags for offside against Dirk Kuyt. David De Gea restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andy Carroll by Rafael Da Silva. Charlie Adam takes the free kick.
- 82:12 Danny Welbeck has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the target.
- 81:25 Stewart Downing crosses the ball, Headed effort from inside the area by Dirk Kuyt misses to the right of the goal.
- 80:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Smalling on Craig Bellamy. Charlie Adam takes the direct free kick.
- 80:15 Stewart Downing takes a shot. Blocked by Ryan Giggs.
- 79:21 Charlie Adam has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the target.
- 78:43 Shot from just outside the box by Michael Carrick misses to the left of the target.
- 77:55 Javier Hernandez fouled by Daniel Agger, the ref awards a free kick. Ryan Giggs crosses the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, clearance by Martin Kelly.
- 77:33 Danny Welbeck fouled by Jordan Henderson, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Giggs.
- 75:11 Substitution Paul Scholes goes off and Javier Hernandez comes on.
- 74:12 Patrice Evra crosses the ball, clearance made by Daniel Agger.
- 72:24 Dirk Kuyt sends in a cross, save by David De Gea.
- 72:19 The ball is swung over by Dirk Kuyt, Patrice Evra gets a block in.
- 72:06 Centre by Sanchez Jose Enrique, Jonathan Evans makes a clearance.
- 71:09 Substitution Craig Bellamy joins the action as a substitute, replacing Steven Gerrard.
- 70:20 Steven Gerrard produces a cross, comfortable save by David De Gea.
- 67:41 A cross is delivered by Dirk Kuyt, save made by David De Gea.
- 66:51 Effort from outside the penalty area by Michael Carrick goes wide left of the target.
- 65:10 Steven Gerrard produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick, comfortable save by David De Gea.
- 65:10 Booking The referee shows Rafael Da Silva a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 64:58 Rafael Da Silva concedes a free kick for a foul on Stewart Downing.
- 63:59 Corner from the right by-line taken by Steven Gerrard, clearance made by Chris Smalling.
- 63:46 The ball is crossed by Charlie Adam, David De Gea makes a save.
- 61:51 Ryan Giggs restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:51 Substitution Charlie Adam joins the action as a substitute, replacing Rodriguez Maxi.
- 61:51 Substitution Dirk Kuyt replaces Jamie Carragher.
- 61:51 Rafael Da Silva fouled by Rodriguez Maxi, the ref awards a free kick.
- 56:33 Corner taken by Steven Gerrard, Andy Carroll gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Evans. Free kick taken by David De Gea.
- 56:21 Shot by Andy Carroll. Chris Smalling gets a block in.
- 54:53 The ball is sent over by Stewart Downing, clearance by Jonathan Evans.
- 53:23 Rodriguez Maxi concedes a free kick for a foul on Rafael Da Silva. Free kick taken by Jonathan Evans.
- 53:13 Sanchez Jose Enrique sends in a cross, Patrice Evra makes a clearance.
- 52:50 Ryan Giggs is ruled offside. Jamie Carragher restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:08 Corner taken by Ryan Giggs from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance by Steven Gerrard.
- 51:56 The ball is sent over by Ryan Giggs, blocked by Martin Kelly.
- 50:07 The ball is delivered by Stewart Downing, David De Gea makes a comfortable save.
- 49:47 Ryan Giggs produces a cross, Sanchez Jose Enrique makes a clearance.
- 46:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Carrick on Andy Carroll. Steven Gerrard takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:12 It is the end of the first-half.
- 43:19 Ryan Giggs delivers the ball, clearance by Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 42:12 The ball is crossed by Stewart Downing, clearance by Chris Smalling.
- 41:43 The ball is swung over by Antonio Valencia, save by Jose Reina.
- 38:43 The assist for the goal came from Rafael Da Silva.
- 38:43 GOAL - Ji-Sung Park:Liverpool 1 - 1 Man Utd Ji-Sung Park gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Liverpool 1-1 Man Utd.
- 38:35 The ball is sent over by Rafael Da Silva,
- 37:03 The ball is sent over by Steven Gerrard, David De Gea makes a comfortable save.
- 32:52 Antonio Valencia challenges Daniel Agger unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 32:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Patrice Evra on Martin Kelly. Direct free kick taken by Jose Reina.
- 30:44 Rafael Da Silva crosses the ball, comfortable save by Jose Reina.
- 29:06 Danny Welbeck fouled by Daniel Agger, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Rafael Da Silva.
- 25:43 Rafael Da Silva fouled by Rodriguez Maxi, the ref awards a free kick. Michael Carrick restarts play with the free kick.
- 23:51 Shot from just outside the box by Steven Gerrard misses to the right of the target.
- 23:42 Paul Scholes takes a shot from 25 yards. Martin Skrtel gets a block in.
- 23:35 Antonio Valencia sends in a cross.
- 23:08 Foul by Martin Skrtel on David De Gea, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by David De Gea.
- 22:45 Corner from the right by-line taken by Stewart Downing, save by David De Gea.
- 22:04 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andy Carroll by Chris Smalling. Free kick crossed by Steven Gerrard, clearance made by Jonathan Evans.
- 20:09 Assist by Steven Gerrard.
- 20:09 GOAL - Daniel Agger:Liverpool 1 - 0 Man Utd Daniel Agger finds the back of the net with a headed goal from inside the six-yard box. Liverpool 1-0 Man Utd.
- 19:46 Steven Gerrard takes the inswinging corner,
- 19:28 Shot by Sanchez Jose Enrique. Chris Smalling manages to make a clearance.
- 16:57 Antonio Valencia has an effort at goal from just outside the penalty box that bounces off the post.
- 15:54 Stewart Downing concedes a free kick for a foul on Patrice Evra. Free kick crossed left-footed by Ryan Giggs, clearance made by Martin Skrtel.
- 15:07 The ball is crossed by Antonio Valencia, Daniel Agger makes a clearance.
- 14:08 Jamie Carragher concedes a free kick for a foul on Ji-Sung Park. Direct free kick taken by Michael Carrick.
- 12:09 Martin Kelly is flagged offside by the assistant referee. David De Gea restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:29 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jordan Henderson by Rafael Da Silva. Free kick taken by Sanchez Jose Enrique.
- 10:08 Martin Kelly delivers the ball, Andy Carroll takes a shot. Save made by David De Gea.
- 8:31 Patrice Evra concedes a free kick for a foul on Rodriguez Maxi. Free kick taken by Steven Gerrard.
- 8:11 Shot from 12 yards by Steven Gerrard. David De Gea makes a comfortable save.
- 7:09 The ball is crossed by Antonio Valencia, Ryan Giggs has a drilled shot. Save by Jose Reina.
- 6:07 The ball is swung over by Ryan Giggs, clearance by Daniel Agger.
- 3:53 Inswinging corner taken by Steven Gerrard from the left by-line.
- 3:39 Rodriguez Maxi takes a shot. Save by David De Gea.
- 1:48 Michael Carrick fouled by Andy Carroll, the ref awards a free kick. Jonathan Evans takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results