Millwall 1 - 1 Southampton
Page last updated at 16:50 GMT, Saturday, 28 January 2012
Darius Henderson's late equaliser rescued a replay for Millwall in their fourth-round FA Cup tie against fellow Championship side Southampton.
Liam Feeney struck the post for Millwall in the opening minutes while Harry Kane blazed over from two yards.
Henderson forced Bartosz Bialkowski into a fine save before Rickie Lambert headed home Dan Harding's cross.
But Henderson levelled the tie in the 86th-minute when he turned to fire home from Feeney's pass.
The hosts almost got off to a flying start when Feeney fired goalwards from 10 yards but his shot rattled Bialkowski's upright.
Saints failed to heed the warning and were almost undone in the ninth minute when James Henry's searching corner found Kane at the far post and he lifted his shot over from close range.
A combination of Aaron Martin's dogged defending and a smart stop from Bialkowski denied the in-form Henderson moments later as he tried to steer home a long-range effort.
Lambert, returning from a three-game suspension, then lifted a a 25-yard free-kick narrowly over the bar as the visitors started to get a foothold in the game following a slow start.
They made their increasing dominance count with a brilliantly-crafted opening goal in the 30th minute.
Ben Reeves played in Harding down the wing and his flighted cross was headed in by Lambert for his 18th of the season.
Having failed to make their promising start in the first half pay dividends, Millwall looked to get on the front foot early in the second.
Liam Trotter advanced unopposed before unleashing a powerful strike from just inside the area but Bialkowski was equal to the challenge.
Southampton had a chance to put the result beyond doubt when a swift counter-attack found Lee Holmes in space with the option to square it for Lambert but he opted to shoot and then headed wide from Lambert's follow-up.
They were made to pay when Henderson collected Feeney's pass and held off two defenders before turning to fire in the equaliser with four minutes left, making it his seventh goal in as many matches against Southampton.
Millwall manager Kenny Jackett: "Darius is on a very good run and it was a good finish from him for the goal - he put in a good performance and was a real threat for us.
"But we didn't do enough off of him, we didn't quite capitalise enough on his skills although I didn't think we deserved to get beaten.
"We had the better of the play up until their goal but then after it we were staring at a potential defeat and going out of the cup.
"The potential for us to get through is a big thing and it's a big thing financially as well. We haven't come back often enough this season and I'm pleased to say we fought back.
"The team has spirit and at times play some quality football but this game was almost indicative of our season. We had a lot of the ball but couldn't put it away."
Southampton boss Nigel Adkins: "I thought it was a real good cup tie and we look forward to the replay at our place.
"A draw was probably a good result in the end.
"There were waves of pressure coming in from Millwall but I thought Rickie Lambert scored a great goal, it was a great run and he was waiting for the space to open.
"We have missed him the last three games and there were other massive positives for us. Lee Barnard has been out for a hell of a long time and he played an hour.
"Jason Puncheon has rejoined us and worked very hard for 75 minutes before we replaced him with Luke Shaw - a 16-year-old from our youth team.
"We gave our younger players a chance and we have players who have been out injured for a long time who are close to coming back to fitness.
"We are high in the league but you always want to do well in the FA Cup."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 28 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Forde
- 03 Craig
- 16 Barron
- 18 Ward
- 21 Smith
- 06 Trotter
- 14 Henry (Hackett 66)
- 15 Feeney
- 26 Abdou
- 07 Henderson
- 37 Kane (N'Guessan 66)
- 13 Allsopp,
- 12 Hackett,
- 44 Wright,
- 09 Marquis,
- 22 N'Guessan
- 21 Bialkowski yellow card
- 02 Richardson
- 03 Harding
- 13 Fox
- 16 Martin
- 28 Reeves
- 14 Hammond
- 33 De Ridder (Holmes 60)
- 42 Puncheon (Shaw 77)
- 07 Lambert
- 09 Barnard (Lee 62)
- 01 Davis,
- 15 Jaidi,
- 32 Stephens,
- 34 Shaw,
- 24 Holmes,
- 30 Ward-Prowse,
- 19 Lee
- Millwall 52%
- Southampton 48%
Attempts on target
- Millwall 6
- Southampton 1
Attempts off target
- Millwall 9
- Southampton 3
- Millwall 7
- Southampton 4
- Millwall 7
- Southampton 12
- Final Result
- 92:28 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- Full Time
- 90:00+1:52 Lee Holmes takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance made by Scott Barron.
- 88:03 Dany N'Guessan takes a shot. Bartosz Bialkowski makes a save.
- 85:18 The assist for the goal came from Scott Barron.
- 85:18 GOAL - Darius Henderson:Millwall 1 - 1 Southampton Darius Henderson grabs a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Millwall 1-1 Southampton.
- 83:24 Chris Hackett takes a shot. Save by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 79:20 The referee blows for offside. Darren Ward takes the indirect free kick.
- 78:28 Booking Bartosz Bialkowski shown a yellow card.
- 77:33 Close range headed effort by Lee Holmes goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 76:28 Substitution Luke Shaw replaces Jason Puncheon.
- 74:43 Effort on goal by Liam Trotter from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 72:39 Dean Hammond concedes a free kick for a foul on Dany N'Guessan. Scott Barron takes the direct free kick.
- 70:38 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Chris Hackett from the left by-line, Darius Henderson challenges Bartosz Bialkowski unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 69:34 Corner taken by Chris Hackett from the left by-line, save made by Bartosz Bialkowski. Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Chris Hackett from the right by-line, clearance by Tadanari Lee.
- 68:54 Tadanari Lee concedes a free kick for a foul on Tony Craig. Liam Trotter restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:20 Effort on goal by Chris Hackett from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 66:30 Outswinging corner taken by Chris Hackett from the right by-line, Tony Craig has a header from deep inside the six-yard box and clears the crossbar.
- 65:47 Substitution (Millwall) makes a substitution, with Dany N'Guessan coming on for Harry Kane.
- 65:47 Substitution Chris Hackett replaces James Henry.
- 64:48 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Darius Henderson by Daniel Fox. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Harry Kane.
- 62:38 Daniel Fox takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Harry Kane.
- 61:10 Substitution Lee Barnard goes off and Tadanari Lee comes on.
- 60:43 Lee Barnard is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by David Forde.
- 59:28 Substitution Lee Holmes replaces Steve De Ridder.
- 58:01 Liam Trotter takes a shot. Save by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 55:38 The ball is delivered by Harry Kane.
- 54:04 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Henry on Steve De Ridder. Frazer Richardson takes the free kick.
- 52:04 Dan Harding fouled by Liam Trotter, the ref awards a free kick. Daniel Fox takes the free kick.
- 51:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Liam Feeney on Jason Puncheon. Free kick taken by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 50:18 Lee Barnard challenges Jack Smith unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Forde.
- 47:29 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on James Henry by Ben Reeves. James Henry produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:04 It is the end of the first-half.
- 43:29 Unfair challenge on Nadjim Abdou by Steve De Ridder results in a free kick. Tony Craig takes the direct free kick.
- 34:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Aaron Martin by Darius Henderson. Daniel Fox takes the direct free kick.
- 33:46 Foul by James Henry on Dan Harding, free kick awarded. Dan Harding restarts play with the free kick.
- 32:48 Effort on goal by Harry Kane from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 30:16 Dan Harding provided the assist for the goal.
- 30:16 GOAL - Richard Lambert:Millwall 0 - 1 Southampton Richard Lambert finds the back of the net with a headed goal from deep inside the penalty area. Millwall 0-1 Southampton.
- 28:51 Darren Ward fouled by Richard Lambert, the ref awards a free kick. Jack Smith takes the direct free kick.
- 26:36 Unfair challenge on Lee Barnard by Tony Craig results in a free kick. Strike comes in from Richard Lambert from the free kick.
- 26:25 Darius Henderson is ruled offside. Bartosz Bialkowski takes the direct free kick.
- 24:29 Harry Kane fouled by Dean Hammond, the ref awards a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from James Henry, save by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 24:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steve De Ridder on Jack Smith. Jack Smith takes the direct free kick.
- 22:06 Aaron Martin challenges Darius Henderson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Liam Trotter.
- 20:51 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 19:27 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Daniel Fox, Header from deep inside the penalty area by Aaron Martin goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 17:12 Corner taken by James Henry from the right by-line, Aaron Martin manages to make a clearance.
- 16:58 Corner taken right-footed by James Henry from the right by-line, clearance by Dean Hammond.
- 16:43 Darius Henderson takes a shot. Save by Bartosz Bialkowski.
- 15:58 Effort on goal by Nadjim Abdou from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 8:47 Corner taken by James Henry, Effort from 35 yards by Harry Kane went wide of the right-hand upright.
- 7:22 Harry Kane is ruled offside. Daniel Fox takes the indirect free kick.
- 4:13 Inswinging corner taken by Daniel Fox, Darius Henderson makes a clearance.
- 3:26 The official flags Lee Barnard offside. David Forde takes the direct free kick.
- 3:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Darren Ward by Steve De Ridder. Free kick taken by Darren Ward.
- 2:29 Foul by Dean Hammond on Liam Trotter, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Darren Ward.
- 1:42 Liam Feeney produces a left-footed shot from inside the box and hits the post.
- 0:51 The official flags Richard Lambert offside. Free kick taken by Tony Craig.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results