Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Sunday, 18 November, 2001, 17:29 GMT
Lewes 0-2 Stoke

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Lewes' decision to switch their FA Cup first-round tie to the Britannia Stadium backfired as Stoke cruised to a comfortable win.

Stoke started brightly with Chris Iwelumo heading the ball inches wide in the sixth minute, and Belarus international Siarhei Shtaniuk attempted an ambitious long-range effort after 15 minutes which was easily gathered by Ross Standen.

City's persistence was rewarded three minutes later when Shtaniuk headed the ball across the face of goal for Peter Handyside to power it home.

Lewes were struggling to contain the Division Two side, who almost extended their lead after 30 minutes when James O'Connor drilled a shot from just inside the area which Standen tipped round the post.

Stoke continued to dominate after the break and added the second goal after 57 minutes. Bjarni Gudjonsson's corner was headed home by Brynjar Gunnarsson.

Lewes' best chance came in the last minute but Gavin Ward parried Dominic Shepherd's close-range shot.

Lewes: Standen, Harris, Cameron Johnson, McCallum, Hack, Cable, Venables, Thomsett, Stokes, Dicker, Francis. Subs: Newman, Shepherd, Beeston, Andy Johnson, Clark.

Stoke: Ward, Clarke, Thomas, Handyside, Shtaniuk, Vandeurzen, Gudjonsson, Gunnarsson, O'Connor, Hoekstra, Iwelumo. Subs: Cutler, Cooke, Neal, Goodfellow, Rowson.

Referee: J Ross (Chingford).

Links to more FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more FA Cup stories

^^ Back to top