Derby 1 - 0 Crystal Palace
Page last updated at 18:14 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
Theo Robinson's early goal proved enough to see Derby through to the FA Cup fourth round at the expense of Championship rivals Crystal Palace.
Robinson slotted home at the second attempt in the ninth minute after Palace goalkeeper Lewis Price had parried his initial close-range effort.
Price then produced a string of saves to keep Palace in the game.
The south Londoners rallied late on but Calvin Andrew's header over the bar was as close as they came to an equaliser.
The result was hardly a surprise, given the discrepancy between the two sides' teamsheets.
FAST FACTContinue reading the main story
Derby had 11 shots on target to Crystal Palace's two at Pride Park
Derby fielded the same line-up from the 1-0 victory over Hull on Monday, but Palace - with one eye on Tuesday's Carling Cup semi-final first leg clash with Cardiff - made seven changes to the side that lost to Leicester last time out.
After giving his side an early lead from Jamie Ward's cross, Robinson, who also scored the winner against Hull, came close to making it 2-0 but his 25-yard strike produced a fine save from Price.
Ward then missed the target by a whisker from a similar distance, while another long-range effort from the striker was fumbled by Price, but no one could capitalise.
In between Ward's efforts, Palace came close through Antonio Pedroza but his strike from just inside the area narrowly missed the right-hand post.
Callum Ball missed presentable chances for Derby either side of half-time and Craig Bryson almost found himself through on goal but could not quite latch on to Robinson's ball.
Soon afterwards, Price had to be at his best to tip over Paul Green's header at the back post from Ward's corner.
Despite being only one point and two places behind Derby in the Championship, Palace were outclassed, their minds clearly on Tuesday night.
Derby County manager Nigel Clough told BBC Radio Derby: "We weren't as sharp as we've been in the last three games, but it's another win, another clean sheet and we're in the hat, so it's job done.
"It was a bit more difficult than the last three. We were watching the Palace lads coming off and the one thing they were was fresh. They hadn't played much football over Christmas.
"They had a lot of young lads and they had a chance to come and play at a lovely stadium. It's sometimes harder when we've come in on the back of three very difficult games."
Crystal Palace boss Dougie Freedman told BBC London 94.9: "We just missed out. We gave everything we had but we just came up short. I gave youngsters debuts today, and it just shows you that what we do at Crystal Palace - we give people opportunities.
"I am very proud of the way they handled themselves especially after the goal went in. They were tested and they stood up to the challenge. The character they showed today was second to none.
"I think credit to our lads. They gave it a right good go and they put Derby under a lot of pressure but in the end we couldn't quite get the goal."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Fielding
- 02 Brayford
- 03 Roberts
- 05 Barker
- 06 Shackell
- 04 Bryson
- 16 Bailey
- 32 Green
- 10 Ward
- 21 Robinson
- 25 Ball (Buxton 89)
- 13 Legzdins,
- 17 Buxton,
- 31 Naylor,
- 18 B Davies,
- 09 Tyson,
- 11 Maguire,
- 14 Doyle
- 34 Price
- 03 Wright (Sekajja 76)
- 26 Parsons
- 37 Egan
- 38 Ramage
- 41 Dumbuya
- 10 Garvan
- 28 O'Keefe
- 25 Pedroza (Iversen 64)
- 31 Andrew
- 36 De Silva (Cadogan 65)
- 40 Fitzsimons,
- 22 Wynter,
- 45 Daniel,
- 04 Parr,
- 14 Cadogan,
- 09 Iversen,
- 27 Sekajja
- Derby 54%
- Crystal Palace 46%
Attempts on target
- Derby 11
- Crystal Palace 2
Attempts off target
- Derby 5
- Crystal Palace 6
- Derby 8
- Crystal Palace 7
- Derby 5
- Crystal Palace 7
- Final Result
- 92:19 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- Full Time
- 89:45 Outswinging corner taken by Owen Garvan from the left by-line, Header from deep inside the penalty area by Calvin Andrew goes harmlessly over the crossbar.
- 89:00 Substitution Jake Buxton comes on in place of Callum Ball.
- 87:20 Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Callum Ball goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 86:18 Kieron Cadogan decides to take the corner short, Owen Garvan produces a cross, Frank Fielding makes a save.
- 85:11 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Owen Garvan from the right by-line to the near post, James Bailey manages to make a clearance.
- 84:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jason Shackell on Calvin Andrew. Owen Garvan delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right channel.
- 83:33 Stuart O'Keefe concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul Green. Shot on goal comes in from Jamie Ward from the free kick.
- 78:44 Corner taken by Jamie Ward, clearance made by John Egan.
- 78:02 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Jamie Ward, Paul Green takes a shot. Lewis Price makes a save.
- 77:56 The ball is delivered by Callum Ball, John Egan gets a block in.
- 75:32 Substitution David Wright leaves the field to be replaced by Ibra Sekajja.
- 75:06 Outswinging corner taken by Owen Garvan from the left by-line.
- 74:37 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Owen Garvan, Jason Shackell makes a clearance.
- 73:48 Mustapha Dumbuya concedes a free kick for a foul on Jamie Ward. Jamie Ward delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, Calvin Andrew makes a clearance.
- 72:10 Unfair challenge on Kieron Cadogan by Callum Ball results in a free kick. Free kick taken by John Egan.
- 71:59 Paul Green produces a cross, clearance by Peter Ramage.
- 69:18 Mustapha Dumbuya challenges Jamie Ward unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Paul Green from left wing, clearance made by Kieron Cadogan.
- 65:18 Owen Garvan produces a left-footed shot from deep inside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 64:29 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Owen Garvan, Frank Fielding makes a save.
- 63:44 Substitution Kieron Cadogan is brought on as a substitute for Kyle De Silva.
- 63:44 Substitution (Crystal Palace) makes a substitution, with Steffen Iversen coming on for Antonio Pedroza.
- 63:28 Owen Garvan takes a shot. Jason Shackell gets a block in.
- 61:00 Antonio Pedroza produces a right-footed shot from long distance which goes wide right of the goal.
- 59:45 Foul by Jason Shackell on Calvin Andrew, free kick awarded. Owen Garvan restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:26 Jamie Ward fouled by Stuart O'Keefe, the ref awards a free kick. Jamie Ward takes the direct free kick.
- 57:44 Foul by Theo Robinson on Stuart O'Keefe, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Owen Garvan.
- 56:41 Corner taken by Jamie Ward.
- 55:44 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Jamie Ward, Calvin Andrew manages to make a clearance.
- 52:26 The ball is sent over by Gareth Roberts, Lewis Price makes a save.
- 51:40 Jamie Ward takes a shot. Save made by Lewis Price.
- 50:20 Owen Garvan produces a cross.
- 49:21 Callum Ball takes a shot. Save by Lewis Price.
- 47:31 Calvin Andrew is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Frank Fielding.
- 45:49 Jamie Ward takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Kyle De Silva.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:18 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 44:53 John Brayford takes a shot. Save made by Lewis Price.
- 44:00 The assistant referee signals for offside against Calvin Andrew. Frank Fielding restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:55 Outswinging corner taken by Owen Garvan, Jamie Ward makes a clearance.
- 39:52 Shot from inside the six-yard box by Callum Ball goes wide right of the goal.
- 38:46 Owen Garvan has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 38:02 Matthew Parsons crosses the ball.
- 36:10 Kyle De Silva concedes a free kick for a foul on John Brayford. Frank Fielding takes the free kick.
- 35:49 Jamie Ward delivers the ball, clearance by John Egan.
- 33:18 Corner taken by Jamie Ward from the right by-line, Headed effort on goal by Shaun Barker from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 32:59 Craig Bryson takes a shot. John Egan gets a block in.
- 32:14 Outswinging corner taken by Jamie Ward, clearance made by Kyle De Silva.
- 31:31 The offside flag is raised against Antonio Pedroza. Frank Fielding restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:19 Jamie Ward crosses the ball, clearance made by Kyle De Silva.
- 29:40 Corner taken right-footed by Jamie Ward from the right by-line, Kyle De Silva makes a clearance.
- 28:17 The assistant referee signals for offside against Antonio Pedroza. Indirect free kick taken by Frank Fielding.
- 26:30 Stuart O'Keefe takes a shot. Save by Frank Fielding.
- 22:39 Unfair challenge on Calvin Andrew by John Brayford results in a free kick. Owen Garvan restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:16 The ball is crossed by Matthew Parsons, clearance by James Bailey.
- 21:13 Theo Robinson takes a shot. Save by Lewis Price.
- 20:57 Jamie Ward takes a shot. Save by Lewis Price.
- 19:22 Effort on goal by Antonio Pedroza from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 18:49 Paul Green delivers the ball, Peter Ramage manages to make a clearance.
- 16:50 Theo Robinson is adjudged to have handled the ball. Indirect free kick taken by Lewis Price.
- 13:48 Jamie Ward has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses right.
- 12:14 John Brayford fouled by Kyle De Silva, the ref awards a free kick. Frank Fielding restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:49 Callum Ball is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Peter Ramage restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:10 The ball is delivered by Paul Green, save by Lewis Price.
- 9:53 Theo Robinson takes a shot. Save by Lewis Price.
- 8:36 GOAL - Theo Robinson:Derby 1 - 0 Crystal Palace Goal scored by Theo Robinson from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Derby 1-0 Crystal Palace.
- 8:32 Theo Robinson takes a shot. Lewis Price makes a save.
- 8:07 Gareth Roberts produces a cross, John Egan manages to make a clearance.
- 5:21 Shot by Owen Garvan went wide of the right-hand upright.
- 3:37 Craig Bryson takes a shot. Save by Lewis Price.
- 0:20 Callum Ball fouled by Peter Ramage, the ref awards a free kick. Jason Shackell restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT