West Brom 4 - 2 Cardiff
Page last updated at 17:31 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
A Simon Cox hat-trick guided West Bromwich Albion into the FA Cup fourth round as they survived a Cardiff City fightback at The Hawthorns.
Peter Odemwingie opened the scoring after seven minutes despite the home side's strong appeals for offside.
Cox headed in West Brom's second from Nicky Shorey's free-kick before the visitors rallied through Rob Earnshaw and a Joe Mason solo strike.
But Cox sealed victory with a 25-yard shot off the post and a late tap-in.
The Republic of Ireland striker had only scored once this season prior to this match but he quadrupled his tally as injury-hit West Brom enjoyed an FA Cup distraction from their Premier League troubles.
Unusually for a top-flight versus Championship clash, it was the lower league side that made wholesale team changes as the Bluebirds swapped 10 players from Monday's win over play-off rivals Reading.
Cardiff manager Malky Mackay's decision to rotate his squad was due to having one eye on Tuesday's Carling Cup semi-final first leg against Crystal Palace but West Brom counterpart Roy Hodgson had no such luxury.
The Baggies were without seven injured players, including captain Chris Brunt, but they went close to taking the lead as early as the second minute.
James Morrison's effort appeared to strike Cardiff defender Dekel Keinan on the arm but referee Lee Probert dismissed the home side's loud protests.
West Brom v Cardiff Fact FileContinue reading the main story
- West Brom beat Cardiff for the first time in six meetings
- West Brom have made it through to the fourth round for the fifth time in six years
- Cardiff have been knocked out of the FA Cup by a Premier League side for an eight consecutive season
And the officials were the centre of attention again for Odemwingie's opener as Cardiff argued the Nigerian international was yards offside when he struck on seven minutes.
The Baggies striker showed great composure as he strode on to Craig Dawson's ball before clinically finishing past Cardiff keeper Tom Heaton for his fifth of the season - and the home side's first goal for four hours and 45 minutes.
Hodgson's side cruised into a two-goal lead when Cox glanced in his first of the afternoon from former England left-back Shorey's free-kick on 33 minutes.
Cardiff finally came to life, pulling a goal back through Rob Earnshaw's typical goal-poacher's finish only three minutes later.
The Wales striker, starting his first game for three months as he returned to his former club, found space in West Brom's penalty area to celebrate his 400th career start with a goal as he guided Filip Kiss's cross past goalkeeper Ben Foster.
Heaton made a fine save from Graham Dorrans' shot and Cardiff levelled just after half-time as Earnshaw turned provider for substitute Joe Mason.
The young striker rounded Foster to convert from an acute angle as the Championship side sensed a cup upset.
But West Brom responded, with Shorey hitting the Cardiff crossbar with a 25-yard drive just before Cox took over to secure safe passage through the fourth round for the fifth time in six seasons.
The 24-year-old left Heaton helpless in the Bluebirds goal as his 25-yard effort fired in off the post to give the hosts the edge in this topsy-turvy cup tie.
Heaton kept Cardiff in the game with another fine save from substitute Marc-Antoine Fortune before James Morrison missed an open goal for the Baggies.
The Scotland international jinked around Heaton, but with the goal at his mercy only managed to find the side-netting.
Hodgson, whose side had only won twice at home previously this season, had to rely on Cox to seal West Brom's first win in six games as he converted Odemwingie's drilled cross from close range.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Foster
- 18 Jara (Tchoyi 60)
- 20 Shorey yellow card
- 23 McAuley (Tamas 74)
- 25 Dawson
- 28 Jones
- 07 Morrison yellow card
- 17 Dorrans
- 29 Thorne (Fortune 59)
- 24 Odemwingie
- 31 Cox
- 22 Heaton
- 06 Gerrard
- 12 Keinan (Wharton 70)
- 14 Quinn
- 18 Naylor
- 04 Kiss
- 11 Conway
- 23 Blake
- 37 McPhail yellow card
- 10 Earnshaw
- 15 Gestede (Mason 41)
- 01 Marshall,
- 19 Gyepes,
- 31 Evans,
- 40 Wharton,
- 52 Ralls,
- 20 Mason,
- 38 Oshilaja
- West Brom 53%
- Cardiff 47%
Attempts on target
- West Brom 8
- Cardiff 8
Attempts off target
- West Brom 9
- Cardiff 5
- West Brom 1
- Cardiff 7
- West Brom 11
- Cardiff 8
- Final Result
- 94:02 The referee signals the end of the game.
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:32 Peter Odemwingie produces a right-footed shot from close in which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 90:00+2:11 Peter Odemwingie is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Tom Heaton.
- Correction - 90:00+1:02 James Morrison challenges Stephen McPhail unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Tom Heaton.
- 90:00+1:02 James Morrison concedes a free kick for a foul on Stephen McPhail. Lee Naylor takes the direct free kick.
- 89:49 The assist for the goal came from Peter Odemwingie.
- 89:49 GOAL - Simon Cox:West Brom 4 - 2 Cardiff Simon Cox fires in a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom right corner of the goal. West Brom 4-2 Cardiff.
- 89:25 Marc-Antoine Fortune has an effort at goal. Save by Tom Heaton.
- 88:25 Craig Conway takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Save made by Ben Foster.
- 87:54 The offside flag is raised against Peter Odemwingie. Tom Heaton takes the free kick.
- 87:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Somen Tchoyi by Lee Naylor. Free kick taken by James Morrison.
- 85:44 Craig Conway fouled by Somen Tchoyi, the ref awards a free kick. Craig Conway restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:03 Nicky Shorey crosses the ball, Peter Odemwingie takes a shot from inside the six-yard box clearing the crossbar.
- 84:25 Foul by Lee Naylor on Somen Tchoyi, free kick awarded. Gabriel Tamas takes the direct free kick.
- 83:34 Marc-Antoine Fortune has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 81:57 The ball is swung over by Craig Conway.
- 79:14 Corner taken short by Craig Conway. Filip Kiss takes a shot. Save by Ben Foster.
- 78:57 The ball is sent over by Joe Mason, clearance by Gabriel Tamas.
- 78:14 Shot from close range by James Morrison misses to the left of the target.
- 75:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Craig Conway by James Morrison. Tom Heaton restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:45 Lee Naylor restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:45 Substitution Gabriel Tamas joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gareth McAuley.
- 73:45 Craig Conway fouled by Somen Tchoyi, the ref awards a free kick.
- 72:47 Shot by Craig Conway. Save by Ben Foster.
- 71:29 Foul by Simon Cox on Craig Conway, free kick awarded. Lee Naylor takes the direct free kick.
- 70:44 Craig Conway delivers the ball, Header from close range by Filip Kiss misses to the right of the goal.
- 69:24 Substitution Dekel Keinan goes off and Theo Wharton comes on.
- 68:30 Darcy Blake takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Ben Foster makes a comfortable save.
- 66:39 Peter Odemwingie gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Paul Quinn. Free kick taken by Anthony Gerrard.
- 64:52 Shot from just outside the area by Marc-Antoine Fortune misses to the left of the target.
- 63:58 Somen Tchoyi sends in a cross, save made by Tom Heaton.
- 62:53 Simon Cox gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Filip Kiss. Filip Kiss restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:03 Assist by Marc-Antoine Fortune.
- 60:03 GOAL - Simon Cox:West Brom 3 - 2 Cardiff Simon Cox finds the net with a goal from outside the area to the top left corner of the goal. West Brom 3-2 Cardiff.
- 58:41 Ben Foster takes the free kick.
- 58:41 Substitution Somen Tchoyi joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gonzalo Jara Reyes.
- 58:41 Substitution (West Brom) makes a substitution, with Marc-Antoine Fortune coming on for George Thorne.
- 58:41 Robert Earnshaw is ruled offside.
- 55:03 Lee Naylor delivers the ball, clearance by Nicky Shorey.
- 54:01 Nicky Shorey has an effort at goal.
- 52:10 Filip Kiss concedes a free kick for a foul on Graham Dorrans. Direct free kick taken by James Morrison.
- 51:29 The ball is swung over by Nicky Shorey, clearance by Dekel Keinan.
- 51:21 The ball is delivered by Gonzalo Jara Reyes, clearance made by Lee Naylor.
- 50:37 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nicky Shorey by Paul Quinn. Nicky Shorey takes the direct free kick.
- 49:39 Assist on the goal came from Robert Earnshaw.
- 49:39 GOAL - Joe Mason:West Brom 2 - 2 Cardiff Goal scored by Joe Mason from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Brom 2-2 Cardiff.
- 48:11 The ball is sent over by Joe Mason.
- 47:42 A cross is delivered by James Morrison, Anthony Gerrard makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:23 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+1:38 Shot by Simon Cox. Save by Tom Heaton.
- 45:00+0:35 Tom Heaton takes the direct free kick.
- 45:00+0:35 Booking The referee cautions James Morrison for unsporting behaviour.
- 45:00+0:33 Foul by James Morrison on Joe Mason, free kick awarded.
- 43:57 Billy Jones delivers the ball, clearance made by Dekel Keinan.
- 43:26 The ball is crossed by Joe Mason, save by Ben Foster.
- 42:35 Billy Jones crosses the ball, clearance made by Lee Naylor.
- 40:44 Substitution Rudy Gestede goes off and Joe Mason comes on.
- 39:29 Peter Odemwingie produces a cross.
- 38:02 Corner taken by Craig Conway played to the near post, Graham Dorrans manages to make a clearance.
- 36:43 Graham Dorrans takes a shot. Blocked by Tom Heaton.
- 35:51 Assist on the goal came from Filip Kiss.
- 35:51 GOAL - Robert Earnshaw:West Brom 2 - 1 Cardiff Robert Earnshaw finds the back of the net with a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Brom 2-1 Cardiff.
- 34:32 Inswinging corner taken by Craig Conway from the left by-line, Graham Dorrans makes a clearance.
- 34:19 Craig Conway produces a cross, Billy Jones gets a block in.
- 32:49 Nicky Shorey provided the assist for the goal.
- 32:49 GOAL - Simon Cox:West Brom 2 - 0 Cardiff Simon Cox scores a headed goal from close range. West Brom 2-0 Cardiff.
- 32:19 Booking Nicky Shorey receives a yellow card.
- 31:39 Foul by Dekel Keinan on Simon Cox, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Nicky Shorey.
- 28:59 The ball is delivered by James Morrison, Tom Heaton makes a comfortable save.
- 27:48 Craig Conway takes the inswinging corner, Close range headed effort by Anthony Gerrard misses to the right of the target.
- 27:37 Craig Conway takes a shot. Billy Jones gets a block in.
- 27:22 James Morrison challenges Paul Quinn unfairly and gives away a free kick. Darcy Blake takes the direct free kick.
- 23:45 Darcy Blake produces a right-footed shot from long range which goes wide right of the goal.
- 21:59 Rudy Gestede is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Gareth McAuley.
- 21:50 The referee gives a free kick against Billy Jones for handball. Direct free kick taken by Lee Naylor.
- 21:41 The ball is crossed by Peter Odemwingie, Anthony Gerrard manages to make a clearance.
- 18:55 The referee blows for offside against Rudy Gestede. Free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 18:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dekel Keinan on Simon Cox. Gonzalo Jara Reyes takes the free kick.
- 17:14 Inswinging corner taken by Craig Conway from the left by-line played to the near post, Graham Dorrans manages to make a clearance.
- 16:59 Foul by Billy Jones on Craig Conway, free kick awarded. Stephen McPhail takes the direct free kick.
- 14:34 Effort from just outside the box by Graham Dorrans goes over the bar.
- 12:38 Anthony Gerrard produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 12:18 Stephen McPhail takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Graham Dorrans manages to make a clearance.
- 11:32 Stephen McPhail takes a short corner.
- 11:25 Lee Naylor delivers the ball, Nicky Shorey gets a block in.
- 10:02 Shot from long range by James Morrison goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 8:27 Graham Dorrans takes the free kick.
- 8:27 Booking Caution for Stephen McPhail.
- 8:17 Foul by Stephen McPhail on James Morrison, free kick awarded.
- 6:53 The assist for the goal came from Craig Dawson.
- 6:53 GOAL - Peter Odemwingie:West Brom 1 - 0 Cardiff A goal is scored by Peter Odemwingie from the edge of the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. West Brom 1-0 Cardiff.
- 6:18 The ball is swung over by Gonzalo Jara Reyes, clearance made by Dekel Keinan.
- 4:15 Corner taken by Graham Dorrans, clearance by Rudy Gestede. Shot from deep inside the area by Simon Cox clears the bar.
- 4:02 Gonzalo Jara Reyes takes a shot. Lee Naylor gets a block in.
- 3:28 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Peter Odemwingie by Craig Conway. Nicky Shorey takes the free kick.
- 2:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Graham Dorrans on Robert Earnshaw. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Lee Naylor, save by Ben Foster.
- 0:31 Shot by Rudy Gestede from outside the box goes high over the target.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT