Brighton 1 - 1 Wrexham
Page last updated at 16:57 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
Adrian Cieslewicz cancelled out Jake Forster-Caskey's goal to earn non-league Wrexham a deserved third-round replay against Brighton.
Cieslewicz levelled on 62 minutes when his deflected shot looped over keeper Peter Brezovan.
Forster-Caskey's tap in, his second goal in as many games, had given Brighton a second-half lead.
The 17-year-old netted from close range from Kazenga LuaLua's cross before Cieslewicz took the tie back to Wales.
The sides will replay at the Racecourse on 17 January, with Wrexham attempting to reach the fourth round for the first time since 2000.
Albion made six changes to the side that had beaten Championship leaders Southampton in their previous game, with Ben Sampayo handed a full debut and Grant Hall making his first start.
In contrast, player-manager Andy Morrell was the only change to Wrexham's side, with Mathias Pogba ruled out through injury.
And a mistake by visiting keeper Joslain Mayebi handed Brighton an early opportunity to assert their superiority - but LuaLua could only direct his shot across the face of goal.
However, having survived the early scare, Wrexham settled into the game, with Jake Speight's pace in particular causing problems for Seagulls captain Inigo Calderon.
Mayebi was called into action on 13 minutes when he did well to save Forster-Caskey's shot, while Will Buckley also had a shot blocked.
Both sides were playing an open, expansive game and only a last-ditch tackle from Matt Sparrow denied Speight following Morrell's cross.
A long-range effort by LuaLua flew past the post for the hosts before the lively Speight twice went close at the other end, with Jamie Tolley also putting a shot wide and forcing Brezovan into saving his 20-yard effort.
But having held out for 45 minutes, Wrexham conceded only 90 seconds into the second half with Forster-Caskey tapping in LuaLua's precise cross from the byline.
Having provided the assist for the goal, LuaLua was forced off the field five minutes later with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Torbjorn Agdestein.
Forster-Caskey came close to a second with a ferocious, swerving shot that Mayebi did well to hold on to but Wrexham refused to buckle and they were level on 62 minutes.
Cieslewicz cut inside two defenders before his shot from inside the penalty area took a deflection and looped over goalkeeper Brezovan.
Brighton manager Gus Poyet's response was to make two further changes with the introduction of debutants Yaser Kasim and Anton Rodgers, son of Swansea boss Brendan.
Rodgers and fellow substitute Agdestein had chances to restore Brighton's lead but it would have been harsh on a Wrexham side who had shown plenty of endeavour.
Indeed, the visitors could have snatched a dramatic victory in stoppage time when Tolley saw his fierce drive saved by Brezovan.
And Wrexham's players were applauded off the field at the end of the game by more than 2,000 of their travelling fans.
Brighton manager Gus Poyet told BBC Sussex: "We learnt a lot from plenty of players, especially the young ones.
"We were in control in the last 20 minutes and it was a beautiful team to see play.
"We have another opportunity next week for the kids to play an important game. There's a chance the whole second team will play."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Brezovan
- 14 Calderon
- 20 Vincelot
- 31 Hall
- 34 Sampayo yellow card
- 08 Navarro yellow card (Kasim 63 yellow card)
- 10 Sparrow
- 25 LuaLua (Agdestein 53)
- 30 Buckley (Rodgers 63)
- 35 Forster-Caskey
- 09 Barnes
- 16 Ankergren,
- 26 Bridcutt,
- 32 Kasim,
- 44 Rodgers,
- 12 Mackail-Smith,
- 23 Agdestein,
- 29 Bergkamp
- 25 Mayebi
- 02 Obeng
- 03 Ashton
- 04 Creighton
- 06 Harris yellow card
- 07 Cieslewicz (Hunt 87)
- 18 Tolley
- 20 Knight-Percival
- 26 Clarke (Keates 78)
- 10 Speight yellow card
- 11 Morrell (Little 78)
- 21 Maxwell,
- 14 Clowes,
- 12 Keates,
- 16 Hunt,
- 17 Little,
- 19 Anorllo
- Brighton 55%
- Wrexham 45%
Attempts on target
- Brighton 8
- Wrexham 5
Attempts off target
- Brighton 9
- Wrexham 2
- Brighton 2
- Wrexham 3
- Brighton 8
- Wrexham 11
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:57 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:37 Shot by Jamie Tolley. Save made by Peter Brezovan. Jamie Tolley delivers the ball.
- 90:00+3:01 Glen Little fouled by Jake Forster-Caskey, the ref awards a free kick. Neil Ashton takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:06 Foul by Dean Keates on Ben Sampayo, free kick awarded. Ben Sampayo restarts play with the free kick.
- 89:46 The official flags Jake Speight offside. Free kick taken by Ben Sampayo.
- 89:14 Jake Forster-Caskey has an effort at goal from outside the area which goes wide left of the target.
- 85:27 Substitution Johnny Hunt comes on in place of Adrian Cieslewicz.
- 85:27 Free kick awarded for a foul by Inigo Calderon on Glen Little. Jamie Tolley shoots direct from the free kick.
- 82:44 Torbjorn Agdestein has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the target.
- 80:27 Foul by Jamie Tolley on Matthew Sparrow, free kick awarded. Anton Rodgers crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left channel.
- 78:39 Jake Forster-Caskey produces a left-footed shot from inside the area that clears the crossbar.
- 76:50 Substitution Glen Little on for Andrew Morrell.
- 76:50 Substitution Dean Keates joins the action as a substitute, replacing Joe Clarke.
- 76:50 Matthew Sparrow has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses right.
- 74:16 Neil Ashton crosses the ball.
- 73:14 Free kick taken by Neil Ashton.
- 73:14 Booking Yaser Kasim is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 73:14 Yaser Kasim gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andrew Morrell.
- 72:51 Inigo Calderon delivers the ball, clearance made by Mark Creighton.
- 70:59 Effort from just outside the box by Ashley Barnes goes over the bar.
- 69:54 Jamie Tolley challenges Jake Forster-Caskey unfairly and gives away a free kick. Grant Hall takes the free kick.
- 68:19 Jay Harris challenges Matthew Sparrow unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ashley Barnes has a direct shot on goal from the free kick, save by Joslain Mayebi.
- 68:01 The ball is delivered by Inigo Calderon, Neil Ashton makes a clearance.
- 66:35 Effort on goal by Anton Rodgers from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 65:10 Curtis Obeng handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Peter Brezovan restarts play with the free kick.
- 64:03 Ashley Barnes takes a shot. Save by Joslain Mayebi.
- 62:50 Substitution Anton Rodgers replaces Will Buckley.
- 62:50 Substitution Alan Navarro goes off and Yaser Kasim comes on.
- 62:05 Booking Booking for Jake Speight.
- 61:33 GOAL - Adrian Cieslewicz:Brighton 1 - 1 Wrexham Adrian Cieslewicz grabs a goal from inside the penalty area high into the middle of the goal. Brighton 1-1 Wrexham.
- 61:03 Curtis Obeng delivers the ball, Peter Brezovan makes a save.
- 60:29 Shot from 25 yards from Jake Forster-Caskey. Joslain Mayebi makes a save.
- 59:35 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jay Harris on Jake Forster-Caskey. Free kick taken by Ben Sampayo.
- 54:29 Inswinging corner taken by Jamie Tolley, save by Peter Brezovan.
- 53:49 Neil Ashton crosses the ball in from the free kick, save made by Peter Brezovan.
- 53:49 Booking Caution for Alan Navarro.
- 53:40 Adrian Cieslewicz fouled by Alan Navarro, the ref awards a free kick.
- 52:37 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Will Buckley from the right by-line.
- 52:37 Substitution (Brighton) makes a substitution, with Torbjorn Agdestein coming on for Kazenga LuaLua.
- 51:42 Handball decision goes against Jay Harris. Peter Brezovan takes the direct free kick.
- 51:32 A cross is delivered by Curtis Obeng, clearance by Grant Hall.
- 49:25 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Romain Vincelot.
- 47:22 Kazenga LuaLua provided the assist for the goal.
- 47:22 GOAL - Jake Forster-Caskey:Brighton 1 - 0 Wrexham Jake Forster-Caskey finds the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box high into the middle of the goal. Brighton 1-0 Wrexham.
- 47:22 The ball is delivered by Kazenga LuaLua,
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:39 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+2:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andrew Morrell by Romain Vincelot. Free kick taken by Jay Harris.
- 45:00+2:25 Centre by Inigo Calderon, save made by Joslain Mayebi.
- 45:00+1:49 Will Buckley sends in a cross, clearance by Mark Creighton.
- 45:00+0:32 Jake Speight is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Peter Brezovan takes the free kick.
- 44:34 Free kick taken by Jay Harris.
- 44:34 Booking Booking for Ben Sampayo.
- 44:27 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ben Sampayo on Adrian Cieslewicz.
- 41:21 A cross is delivered by Kazenga LuaLua.
- 39:41 The ball is crossed by Alan Navarro, Ashley Barnes takes a shot.
- 38:31 Will Buckley takes a shot. Save by Joslain Mayebi.
- 37:52 The ball is crossed by Curtis Obeng, save by Peter Brezovan.
- 36:46 Jake Forster-Caskey concedes a free kick for a foul on Adrian Cieslewicz. Free kick taken by Neil Ashton. Jamie Tolley takes a shot. Peter Brezovan makes a save. The ball is swung over by Jake Speight, clearance by Romain Vincelot.
- 33:58 Matthew Sparrow delivers the ball.
- 32:52 Jake Speight sends in a cross, Effort on goal by Jamie Tolley from inside the box misses to the right of the target.
- 31:13 Alan Navarro takes the direct free kick. The referee blows for offside against Grant Hall. Joslain Mayebi restarts play with the free kick.
- 31:13 Booking Booking for Jay Harris for unsporting behaviour.
- 31:09 Jay Harris gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Matthew Sparrow.
- 30:41 Jake Speight concedes a free kick for a foul on Inigo Calderon. Matthew Sparrow restarts play with the free kick. A cross is delivered by Inigo Calderon, clearance made by Curtis Obeng.
- 29:03 Corner taken right-footed by Kazenga LuaLua from the left by-line, save made by Joslain Mayebi.
- 28:08 Free kick awarded for a foul by Neil Ashton on Will Buckley. Peter Brezovan restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:54 Jake Speight takes a shot. Blocked by Grant Hall.
- 26:53 The ball is delivered by Will Buckley, clearance by Joe Clarke.
- 24:17 Corner taken by Jamie Tolley from the left by-line, Peter Brezovan makes a save.
- 23:10 Shot from outside the penalty box by Kazenga LuaLua goes wide right of the goal.
- 20:29 A cross is delivered by Will Buckley, Neil Ashton gets a block in.
- 19:05 Andrew Morrell crosses the ball, Jake Speight takes a shot. Romain Vincelot gets a block in. Corner taken right-footed by Jamie Tolley, Neil Ashton concedes a free kick for a foul on Matthew Sparrow. Direct free kick taken by Peter Brezovan.
- 17:57 Kazenga LuaLua produces a cross, Will Buckley takes a shot. Blocked by Neil Ashton.
- 17:15 Curtis Obeng sends in a cross, save by Peter Brezovan.
- 16:20 Alan Navarro takes a shot. Save made by Joslain Mayebi.
- 13:49 Jake Forster-Caskey takes a shot. Joslain Mayebi makes a save.
- 9:00 Jay Harris is adjudged to have handled the ball. Direct free kick taken by Peter Brezovan.
- 8:19 Will Buckley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Neil Ashton. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Jamie Tolley.
- 5:13 Foul by Andrew Morrell on Romain Vincelot, free kick awarded. Peter Brezovan takes the direct free kick.
- 1:42 Effort on goal by Kazenga LuaLua from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 0:14 Unfair challenge on Jake Forster-Caskey by Jay Harris results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Kazenga LuaLua.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT