MK Dons 1 - 1 QPR
Page last updated at 17:59 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
Heidar Helguson rescued a late draw for QPR to deny MK Dons a shock win - but the Premier League side's 11-year wait for an FA Cup victory goes on.
The Dons had a Jabo Ibehre effort ruled out for offside and a penalty shout for handball dismissed in the first half.
Dean Bowditch put them ahead as he finished coolly when Helguson failed to clear a Shaun Williams cross.
But QPR, who finished with 10 men after Alejandro Faurlin was injured, levelled when Helguson capitalised on a mix-up.
Karl Robinson's Dons have forged a reputation for being pleasing on the eye and they lived up to their billing in the first half, building slowly from the back and frustrating their Premier League opponents in front of their record crowd of 19,506.
Luke Chadwick and Ibehre had chances to beat QPR keeper Radek Cerny before Ibehre had an effort chalked off in a narrow offside decision.
All Rangers could muster in reply was a wayward Jamie Mackie effort and a DJ Campbell finish that was written off by the linesman's flag.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
QPR's winless run in the FA Cup dates back to 17 January 2001, when they won 2-1 against Luton in a third-round replay. Since then, they have fallen at the first hurdle every time, including losing on penalties in the first round to Unibond League team Vauxhall Motors in November 2002
The Dons may have felt aggrieved when Daniel Powell's cross looked to clip Danny Gabbidon's hand as the defender went to ground in the area. Referee Michael Oliver waved away the calls for a penalty.
QPR looked like they were missing the influence of suspended captain Joey Barton but they started the second period with much more intent, driven on by the creativity of Federico Macheda.
Macheda, making his first start since joining on loan from Manchester United, almost found an opening when he jinked his way down the left and crossed for Campbell to nod agonisingly wide at the back post.
It had been the visitors' best chance and they were made to rue it moments later when MK Dons capitalised on a catalogue of defensive errors.
Williams collected Cerny's poor attempt to punch the ball clear and crossed to the back post, where Bowditch dispossessed the dallying Helguson before calmly slotting home.
It looked as if it would be plain sailing for the Dons, especially when QPR, having already used all three of their substitutes, saw stand-in skipper Faurlin carried off on a stretcher.
But Rangers dug in and were able to take the tie back to Loftus Road when Dons keeper David Martin got into a mess with his defenders and allowed the ball to slip to Helguson.
He made up for his part in the opening goal by rolling the ball into an empty net and, with it, ripped away Dons supporters' hopes of a memorable victory.
MK Dons boss Karl Robinson told BBC Three Counties Radio:
"What a class act. That's how football should be played. Not hoofing it and kicking it and playing off throw ins.
"I respect Neil Warnock and QPR immensely for playing a strong side.
"We missed some gilt edge chances and thought we deserved the victory. It was a little bit embarrassing it was taken away from us.
"Their goal was offside. And the handball - I've never seen a player go to ground with his hands above his head and a penalty not be given.
"But let's be proud of the players. I'm looking forward to having a drink with Neil Warnock and picking his brains about one or two things."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Martin
- 02 Smith
- 03 Lewington
- 05 MacKenzie (Doumbe 46)
- 07 Gleeson
- 08 Potter
- 13 Williams
- 17 Powell
- 26 Chadwick
- 09 Bowditch
- 19 Ibehre
- 16 McLoughlin,
- 04 Doumbe,
- 15 Flanagan,
- 34 Lobjoit,
- 23 O'Shea,
- 36 Alli,
- 20 Collins
- 24 Cerny
- 03 Hill
- 05 Hall
- 06 Gabbidon
- 18 Young
- 04 Derry (Buzsaky 77)
- 11 Faurlin
- 09 Campbell (Helguson 61)
- 12 Mackie
- 21 Smith
- 33 Macheda (Bothroyd 71)
- MK Dons 52%
- QPR 48%
Attempts on target
- MK Dons 3
- QPR 3
Attempts off target
- MK Dons 1
- QPR 3
- MK Dons 4
- QPR 2
- MK Dons 6
- QPR 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:14 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+4:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Akos Buzsaky by Dean Lewington. Radek Cerny restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+3:45 Corner from the left by-line taken by Dean Bowditch, Radek Cerny makes a save.
- 90:00+1:28 The assistant referee flags for offside against Heidar Helguson. David Martin takes the free kick.
- 88:12 GOAL - Heidar Helguson:MK Dons 1 - 1 QPR A goal is scored by Heidar Helguson from just inside the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Milton Keynes Dons 1-1 QPR.
- 76:36 Substitution Akos Buzsaky replaces Shaun Derry.
- 74:04 Stephen Gleeson concedes a free kick for a foul on Tommy Smith. Tommy Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:03 Adam Smith fouled by Clint Hill, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Adam Smith.
- 70:11 Substitution Jay Bothroyd joins the action as a substitute, replacing Federico Macheda.
- 65:49 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jamie Mackie. David Martin takes the indirect free kick.
- 64:02 GOAL - Dean Bowditch:MK Dons 1 - 0 QPR Dean Bowditch fires in a goal from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Milton Keynes Dons 1-0 QPR.
- 63:28 Corner taken by Dean Bowditch, clearance made by Fitz Hall.
- 60:26 Indirect free kick taken by Mathias Doumbe.
- 60:26 Substitution (QPR) makes a substitution, with Heidar Helguson coming on for DJ Campbell.
- 60:26 The offside flag is raised against DJ Campbell.
- 52:59 DJ Campbell produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 50:29 Free kick awarded for a foul by DJ Campbell on Darren Potter. Free kick taken by Mathias Doumbe. Tommy Smith produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 47:15 Stephen Gleeson concedes a free kick for a foul on Alejandro Faurlin. Direct free kick taken by Clint Hill.
- 46:45 The referee gives a free kick against Jabo Ibehre for handball. Radek Cerny takes the free kick.
- 46:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dean Bowditch by Federico Macheda. Free kick taken by Stephen Gleeson.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution (Milton Keynes Dons) makes a substitution, with Mathias Doumbe coming on for Gary MacKenzie.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:12 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+0:18 The referee blows for offside against Daniel Powell. Radek Cerny takes the free kick.
- 44:03 Corner taken by Alejandro Faurlin from the right by-line, Jabo Ibehre manages to make a clearance.
- 42:40 Foul by Fitz Hall on Jabo Ibehre, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Shaun Williams.
- 41:41 Luke Young handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Dean Bowditch takes the free kick.
- 40:50 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tommy Smith on Dean Bowditch. David Martin takes the free kick.
- 36:23 DJ Campbell challenges Dean Lewington unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dean Lewington takes the free kick.
- 33:32 Free kick awarded for a foul by Daniel Powell on Shaun Derry. Radek Cerny takes the direct free kick.
- 31:45 Corner taken right-footed by Dean Bowditch, clearance made by Fitz Hall.
- 29:40 Shot by Adam Smith from 20 yards. Radek Cerny makes a save.
- 27:58 DJ Campbell is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by David Martin.
- 25:50 Corner taken left-footed by Shaun Williams, clearance made by Fitz Hall.
- 23:29 Dean Bowditch gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alejandro Faurlin. Shot on goal comes in from Alejandro Faurlin from the free kick, save made by David Martin.
- 21:23 Shot by Luke Chadwick. Radek Cerny makes a save.
- 20:23 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Alejandro Faurlin from the right by-line, Gary MacKenzie makes a clearance.
- 14:17 Foul by Alejandro Faurlin on Luke Chadwick, free kick awarded. Stephen Gleeson takes the direct free kick.
- 12:37 Effort from the edge of the penalty box by Dean Bowditch goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 12:19 DJ Campbell challenges Gary MacKenzie unfairly and gives away a free kick. Stephen Gleeson takes the direct free kick.
- 11:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Adam Smith on Jamie Mackie. Strike comes in from Alejandro Faurlin from the free kick.
- 8:59 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jabo Ibehre. Radek Cerny takes the free kick.
- 5:44 Shot on goal by Jamie Mackie from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 4:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alejandro Faurlin on Adam Smith. Free kick taken by Gary MacKenzie.
- 0:16 Luke Chadwick is adjudged to have handled the ball. Daniel Gabbidon restarts play with the free kick.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT