Barnsley 2 - 4 Swansea
Page last updated at 16:54 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
Winger Nathan Dyer provided the cutting edge as Swansea held off Barnsley to reach the fourth round of the FA Cup.
He set up Angel Rangel for Swansea's first goal and added the third himself after good work from Wayne Routledge.
Barnsley had led after a swift counter finished by Ricardo Vaz Te, who later poked home an inswinging free-kick.
Rangel's equaliser was followed by a sublime long-range Danny Graham shot into the top corner, with the striker adding a late fourth from six yards.
Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers had resisted the urge to make too many changes, but German goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel was given his debut in place of Michel Vorm.
Gary Monk also returned in defence for the on-loan Stephen Caulker, as parent club Tottenham did not want the youngster cup-tied.
Barnsley were able to field their on-loan star Danny Drinkwater, recovered from a thigh strain, and the Manchester United midfielder produced the Tykes' first threat on goal as he drilled a shot just over the bar from a tight angle.
Swansea should probably have been ahead before that and Barnsley were indebted to goalkeeper Luke Steele for two good early saves.
First Steele beat away a fierce 30-yard drive from Kemy Agustien, then was quickly off his line to smother the danger in a one-on-one against Routledge.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
- Swansea have been knocked out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage twice in the last five years - 2-1 at Leicester City in 2010 and 4-2 in a replay at Havant & Waterlooville in 2008
But against the run of play, Barnsley took the lead when Routledge lost possession in the Tykes' 18-yard box.
The home side launched a flowing counter-attack up the right and Craig Davies played in Vaz Te on the edge of the area, and the Portuguese struck a rising shot into the top corner of the Swansea net.
Swansea responded in style to level within a minute, as Dyer drove the visitors upfield before teeing up Rangel to slide the ball past Steele.
It took just one minute of the second half for Swansea to break Barnsley's resistance a second time, as Graham received the ball midway in the Yorkshire side's half before turning and unleashing a brilliant 30-yard shot that gave Steele no chance.
Swansea's wing play continued to torment Barnsley, as it had at Aston Villa last week, and the Welsh side's two wing dynamos combined to double their lead.
Routledge broke down the left, beating Stephen Foster before cutting the ball back for the arriving Dyer to blast gleefully home, making amends for ballooning over the bar from a good position moments before.
Swansea's grip on the game continued to strengthen but Barnsley were by no means out of it, with Vaz Te having a couple of half-chances blocked.
The former Bolton Wanderers striker had looked the most likely to double his and his side's goal tally, so it was no surprise when he was the one to get the final touch when Swansea failed to deal with Drinkwater's inswinging free-kick.
Barnsley still had 25 minutes to force a replay and now had their tails up, with Reuben Noble-Lazarus sending Tremmel scrambling across his goal as his shot veered just off target.
Scott Sinclair, on for Dyer, threatened to put the result beyond doubt but Steele did well to reach his shot, although a late off-side flag made the save academic.
With a minute of normal time remaining, Graham finally settled Swansea nerves as the striker added a fourth goal from close range on the left following good work from Routledge and Joe Allen.
Barnsley manager Keith Hill told BBC Radio Sheffield:
"We've played against superb and educated opposition. There's a patience to the way that they play, but we had to make sure we locked the doors. Once you open the game up against that type of opposition they just pick you to pieces.
"In the second half we had to give it a go but we conceded the goals at the wrong time. We're making mistakes that are contributing to us losing that game.
"We allowed the opposition to have the ball in negative areas of the pitch. The timing of their second goal really hurts and hinders our opportunity to get anything out of the game, because we know how good they are with the ball."
Swansea assistant manager Colin Pascoe told BBC Radio Wales:
"The conditions were very difficult, but both teams tried to get the ball down and pass and Barnsley deserved to take the lead. It was good from ourselves to respond quite quickly and make it 1-1.
"I wouldn't say we were in control for long periods - Barnsley were superb, with the way they passed the ball.
"We got the goals at the right time and in football if you do that it just eases a bit of pressure. Fair play to Barnsley, because they put us under a lot of pressure."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Steele
- 02 Hassell (Wiseman 57)
- 03 McEveley yellow card
- 06 Foster
- 15 McNulty
- 17 Addison yellow card
- 10 Done (Noble-Lazarus 52)
- 11 Perkins (Gray 57)
- 20 Drinkwater
- 09 Davies
- 18 Vaz Te
- 12 Preece,
- 04 Edwards,
- 14 Wiseman,
- 33 Digby,
- 29 Taylor,
- 24 Noble-Lazarus,
- 27 Gray
- 25 Tremmel
- 02 Williams
- 03 Taylor yellow card
- 16 Monk
- 22 Rangel yellow card
- 07 Britton
- 08 Orlandi (Sigurdsson 59)
- 12 Dyer (Sinclair 78)
- 15 Routledge
- 26 Agustien (Allen 66)
- 10 Graham
- Barnsley 50%
- Swansea 50%
Attempts on target
- Barnsley 4
- Swansea 6
Attempts off target
- Barnsley 5
- Swansea 2
- Barnsley 3
- Swansea 6
- Barnsley 14
- Swansea 7
- Final Result
- 95:23 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:53 Unfair challenge on Ricardo Vaz Te by Ashley Williams results in a free kick. Craig Davies produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick, blocked by Leon Britton.
- 90:00+2:28 The official flags Scott Sinclair offside. Luke Steele takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+1:40 Craig Davies has a shot on goal from outside the box which misses left.
- 88:19 Assist on the goal came from Wayne Routledge.
- 88:19 GOAL - Danny Graham:Barnsley 2 - 4 Swansea Danny Graham finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Barnsley 2-4 Swansea.
- 86:16 Joe Allen takes the direct free kick.
- 86:16 Booking The referee shows Miles Addison a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 86:09 Wayne Routledge fouled by Miles Addison, the ref awards a free kick.
- 81:23 The assistant referee signals for offside against Scott Sinclair. Luke Steele restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:30 Joe Allen fouled by Jay McEveley, the ref awards a free kick. Angel Rangel takes the direct free kick.
- 77:38 Substitution Nathan Dyer goes off and Scott Sinclair comes on.
- 76:15 The referee gives a free kick against Nathan Dyer for handball. Direct free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 75:50 Daniel Drinkwater challenges Leon Britton unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Ashley Williams.
- 74:50 Ricardo Vaz Te takes a inswinging corner to the near post.
- 74:19 The free kick is swung in right-footed by Daniel Drinkwater, clearance made by Angel Rangel.
- 74:19 Booking Angel Rangel receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 74:10 Angel Rangel is adjudged to have handled the ball.
- 73:13 Garry Monk restarts play with the free kick.
- 73:13 Booking Jay McEveley is booked.
- 73:02 Jay McEveley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nathan Dyer.
- 71:17 Unfair challenge on Leon Britton by Reuben Noble-Lazarus results in a free kick. Garry Monk takes the free kick.
- 70:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Daniel Drinkwater on Gylfi Sigurdsson. Leon Britton restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:56 The ball is sent over by Ricardo Vaz Te, Shot by Reuben Noble-Lazarus from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 65:42 Foul by Andy Gray on Leon Britton, free kick awarded. Garry Monk restarts play with the free kick.
- 65:14 Substitution Joe Allen joins the action as a substitute, replacing Kemy Agustien.
- 64:18 Daniel Drinkwater provided the assist for the goal.
- 64:18 GOAL - Ricardo Vaz Te:Barnsley 2 - 3 Swansea Ricardo Vaz Te finds the back of the net with a goal from close range to the bottom left corner of the goal. Barnsley 2-3 Swansea.
- 63:41 Centre by Daniel Drinkwater,
- 63:41 Booking Neil Taylor goes into the book.
- 63:32 Unfair challenge on Scott Wiseman by Neil Taylor results in a free kick.
- 61:53 Miles Addison gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leon Britton. Free kick taken by Garry Monk.
- 58:20 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Wayne Routledge, clearance by Ricardo Vaz Te.
- 58:20 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Andrea Orlandi.
- 56:27 Corner from the left by-line taken by Reuben Noble-Lazarus, Danny Graham manages to make a clearance.
- 56:27 Substitution (Barnsley) makes a substitution, with Andy Gray coming on for David Perkins.
- 56:27 Substitution Bobby Hassell goes off and Scott Wiseman comes on.
- 56:05 Ricardo Vaz Te takes a shot. Garry Monk gets a block in.
- 55:10 The assistant referee flags for offside against Craig Davies. Free kick taken by Garry Monk.
- 54:31 Ashley Williams concedes a free kick for a foul on Stephen Foster. Luke Steele restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:21 Assist by Wayne Routledge.
- 53:21 GOAL - Nathan Dyer:Barnsley 1 - 3 Swansea Nathan Dyer grabs a goal from inside the box to the top right corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-3 Swansea.
- 52:33 The ball is delivered by Kemy Agustien, Effort on goal by Nathan Dyer from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 51:10 Luke Steele restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:10 Substitution (Barnsley) makes a substitution, with Reuben Noble-Lazarus coming on for Matty Done.
- 51:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Perkins by Leon Britton.
- 48:03 Effort on goal by Ricardo Vaz Te from just inside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 45:43 The assist for the goal came from Leon Britton.
- 45:43 GOAL - Danny Graham:Barnsley 1 - 2 Swansea Danny Graham grabs a goal from long distance to the top left corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-2 Swansea.
- 45:25 David Perkins gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leon Britton. Direct free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:04 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+0:37 Miles Addison concedes a free kick for a foul on Wayne Routledge. Free kick taken by Ashley Williams.
- 43:43 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ricardo Vaz Te by Nathan Dyer. Direct free kick taken by Luke Steele.
- 43:18 Andrea Orlandi takes the outswinging corner, Jimmy McNulty makes a clearance.
- 42:45 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Andrea Orlandi from the left by-line, Craig Davies makes a clearance.
- 42:08 Outswinging corner taken by Andrea Orlandi, Bobby Hassell makes a clearance.
- 41:58 Centre by Nathan Dyer, save by Luke Steele.
- 37:51 Matty Done concedes a free kick for a foul on Angel Rangel. Andrea Orlandi takes the free kick.
- 35:41 Shot by Nathan Dyer from just outside the area goes over the net.
- 32:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Nathan Dyer on Ricardo Vaz Te. Direct free kick taken by Ricardo Vaz Te.
- 32:15 Short corner taken by Wayne Routledge.
- 31:11 Corner taken left-footed by Andrea Orlandi from the right by-line, clearance made by Jay McEveley.
- 29:31 Assist on the goal came from Kemy Agustien.
- 29:31 GOAL - Angel Rangel:Barnsley 1 - 1 Swansea Angel Rangel grabs a goal from inside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-1 Swansea.
- 28:03 Craig Davies provided the assist for the goal.
- 28:03 GOAL - Ricardo Vaz Te:Barnsley 1 - 0 Swansea Ricardo Vaz Te fires in a goal from the edge of the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Barnsley 1-0 Swansea.
- 26:31 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jay McEveley on Nathan Dyer. Kemy Agustien takes the direct free kick.
- 23:55 Effort from just outside the box by Daniel Drinkwater goes over the bar.
- 22:40 A cross is delivered by Neil Taylor.
- 21:01 The offside flag is raised against Andrea Orlandi. Luke Steele takes the free kick.
- 15:53 Jay McEveley takes a shot from just outside the penalty area which clears the crossbar.
- 14:56 The assistant referee flags for offside against Danny Graham. Luke Steele restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Garry Monk by Craig Davies. Direct free kick taken by Garry Monk.
- 13:33 Wayne Routledge takes a shot. Luke Steele makes a save.
- 11:22 Foul by Danny Graham on David Perkins, free kick awarded. Jay McEveley restarts play with the free kick.
- 11:01 Kemy Agustien takes a shot. Save by Luke Steele.
- 6:19 Matty Done takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, Andrea Orlandi makes a clearance.
- 4:56 Foul by Bobby Hassell on Wayne Routledge, free kick awarded. Andrea Orlandi takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT