Everton 2 - 0 Tamworth
Page last updated at 14:31 GMT, Friday, 6 January 2012
Johnny Heitinga helped break Tamworth's hearts despite a battling performance by the Blue Square Bet Premier side at Goodison Park.
Heitinga struck with a header before Leighton Baines's late penalty sealed Everton's win.
Tamworth produced a spirited display with Kyle Patterson almost equalising after a powerful run.
But they bowed out after Baines scored from the spot following Samuel Habergham's foul on Royston Drenthe.
Tamworth had won only one of their previous six matches since booking a trip to Goodison Park, and they found themselves behind in the opening moments.
The Staffordshire club were backed by almost 5,000 fans on Merseyside - about five times as many as turned out to witness the start of Tamworth's FA Cup adventure at home to King's Lynn in October.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
This match was the third time in six years Tamworth have featured in the FA Cup third round
But the rousing reception they gave their team was punctured in the fifth minute when an unmarked Heitinga was allowed to cushion a header past Joe Collister from Landon Donovan's corner.
The Tamworth keeper produced a fine stop with his feet to deny Victor Anichebe from making it 2-0 two minutes later.
But the Lambs soon settled and Patterson, a former team-mate of Donovan and David Beckham at Los Angeles Galaxy, went close to scoring a 29th-minute equaliser after a powerful run from the halfway line.
Everton were far from impressive but they did enough to return to winning ways after their surprise home defeat to Bolton in midweek.
Their passage into the fourth round came at a price as Seamus Coleman limped off injured in the 57th minute soon after Collister had tipped over his cross-shot.
Coleman was replaced by England international Baines, who put the tie out of sight from the spot despite Tamworth's protests at referee Robert Madley's decision.
Donovan went within inches of making it 3-0 with a superb right-footed shot from 25 yards that beat Collister but crashed off the angle of post and bar.
The final whistle saw Tamworth's players receive a standing ovation from all four sides of Goodison.
Everton manager David Moyes: "It was a bit of a struggle at times.
"Tamworth did really well and kept at it and while it was only 1-0 they were always in with a chance.
"We missed a few chances to make it 2-0 which would have put it to bed, but for the neutrals that kept the game running alive. While it was 1-0 Tamworth could keep running and keep trying to make things happen.
"There were threats from corners and free-kicks but in truth I don't think there was too much pressure on Tim Howard."
Tamworth manager Marcus Law: "There's a part of me very disappointed because we spent a lot of time on dealing with set-pieces. I've scrutinised about six DVDs of Everton, been up here for two games and that was where I felt their strengths were.
"Maybe the occasion and lack of focus in that first five minutes has gone against us. But it just shows you what small margins there are in football.
"I know these boys, I work with them every week, they're a feisty group, very mentally strong, and I knew, regardless of what was going to happen, we would be able to compete."
Of the spot-kick, Law added: "I think it was too easy to give. The player's got himself close, our defender couldn't really get out of the way. He is the wrong side of the ball so I think the ref's sucked into it really."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Howard
- 05 Heitinga
- 15 Distin
- 18 Neville
- 23 Coleman (Baines 57)
- 07 Bilyaletdinov
- 25 Fellaini
- 09 Donovan
- 14 McFadden (Drenthe 65)
- 19 Gueye
- 28 Anichebe (Stracqualursi 73)
- 21 Collister yellow card
- 02 Tait
- 03 Habergham
- 04 Courtney (McDonald 80)
- 05 Francis
- 24 Kanyuka
- 11 Thomas (Sharif 67)
- 14 Patterson
- 19 Barrow
- 33 McKoy
- 23 Christie (St Aimie 62)
- 01 Hedge,
- 06 Oji,
- 10 St Aimie,
- 12 McDonald,
- 26 Rico Taylor,
- 22 Sharif,
- 27 Wallen
- Everton 63%
- Tamworth 37%
Attempts on target
- Everton 7
- Tamworth 3
Attempts off target
- Everton 7
- Tamworth 8
- Everton 5
- Tamworth 5
- Everton 14
- Tamworth 7
- Final Result
- 93:14 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- Full Time
- 90:00+1:45 Unfair challenge on Patrick Kanyuka by Denis Stracqualursi results in a free kick. Joe Collister takes the direct free kick.
- 90:00+0:41 Marouane Fellaini concedes a free kick for a foul on Nabil Shariff. Liam McDonald produces a cross, Francino Francis produces a header from inside the area that goes over the crossbar.
- 89:55 Richard Tait produces a right-footed shot from long range which goes wide right of the target.
- 89:19 Denis Stracqualursi concedes a free kick for a foul on Samuel Habergham. Joe Collister restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:05 Johnny Heitinga concedes a free kick for a foul on Kyle Patterson. Liam McDonald produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 87:40 Landon Donovan takes a shot from just outside the penalty area which clears the crossbar.
- 84:19 Landon Donovan has an effort at goal from outside the box hitting the post.
- 82:10 Unfair challenge on Richard Tait by Landon Donovan results in a free kick. Liam McDonald delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right wing, clearance by Leighton Baines. Corner from right by-line taken by Scott Barrow.
- 80:52 Denis Stracqualursi concedes a free kick for a foul on Richard Tait. Direct free kick taken by Joe Collister.
- 80:17 Headed effort from inside the penalty area by Kieron St Aimie misses to the right of the target.
- 79:43 Substitution Duane Courtney goes off and Liam McDonald comes on.
- 78:55 Royston Drenthe provided the assist for the goal.
- 78:55 GOAL - Leighton Baines:Everton 2 - 0 Tamworth Penalty taken left-footed by Leighton Baines and scored. Everton 2-0 Tamworth.
- 78:50 Booking Joe Collister goes into the book for time wasting.
- 77:41 Samuel Habergham challenges Royston Drenthe unfairly and gives away a Penalty.
- 76:14 Diniyar Bilyaletdinov takes a shot. Save by Joe Collister.
- 72:07 Substitution Denis Stracqualursi is brought on as a substitute for Victor Anichebe.
- 69:49 The referee blows for offside. Indirect free kick taken by Joe Collister.
- 67:46 Unfair challenge on Royston Drenthe by Nick McKoy results in a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Johnny Heitinga.
- 66:17 Substitution Nabil Shariff comes on in place of Danny Thomas.
- 64:27 Substitution James McFadden goes off and Royston Drenthe comes on.
- 64:27 Landon Donovan has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 63:05 Leighton Baines gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Thomas. Richard Tait takes the free kick.
- 62:37 Kieron St Aimie has an effort at goal from the edge of the area that misses to the right of the target.
- 62:12 The offside flag is raised against Magaye Gueye. Joe Collister restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:21 Johnny Heitinga restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:21 Substitution Kieron St Aimie joins the action as a substitute, replacing Iyseden Christie.
- 61:21 Danny Thomas gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James McFadden.
- 56:55 Magaye Gueye takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Richard Tait makes a clearance. Diniyar Bilyaletdinov takes a shot. Joe Collister makes a save.
- 56:55 Substitution Leighton Baines comes on in place of Seamus Coleman.
- 54:12 Diniyar Bilyaletdinov takes a shot. Duane Courtney gets a block in.
- 49:59 Inswinging corner taken by Landon Donovan from the left by-line, save made by Joe Collister.
- 49:20 Iyseden Christie takes a shot. Blocked by Johnny Heitinga.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:18 The match has reached half-time.
- 44:16 Scott Barrow takes a outswinging corner.
- 43:26 The official flags Iyseden Christie offside. Free kick taken by Tim Howard.
- 42:49 Inswinging corner taken by Scott Barrow.
- 42:09 Landon Donovan challenges Danny Thomas unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Richard Tait.
- 40:28 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Scott Barrow, clearance by Marouane Fellaini.
- 38:59 Scott Barrow takes a outswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post, Sylvain Distin manages to make a clearance.
- 36:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Patrick Kanyuka by Victor Anichebe. Joe Collister takes the direct free kick.
- 34:59 Scott Barrow is caught offside. Tim Howard takes the free kick.
- 30:33 Unfair challenge on Johnny Heitinga by Iyseden Christie results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Marouane Fellaini.
- 29:58 Kyle Patterson takes a shot. Tim Howard makes a save.
- 28:53 Kyle Patterson produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that goes wide left of the target.
- 23:20 James McFadden has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 22:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Danny Thomas by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov. The free kick is swung in left-footed by Scott Barrow, save by Tim Howard.
- 19:26 Phil Neville challenges Kyle Patterson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Scott Barrow delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from right channel, clearance by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov. Scott Barrow produces a left-footed shot from outside the box and misses left.
- 18:30 Phil Neville gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Thomas. Richard Tait takes the free kick.
- 17:37 Unfair challenge on Marouane Fellaini by Duane Courtney results in a free kick. Johnny Heitinga takes the direct free kick.
- 16:12 Johnny Heitinga takes a shot. Blocked by Patrick Kanyuka. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Magaye Gueye from the right by-line.
- 13:52 Seamus Coleman fouled by Kyle Patterson, the ref awards a free kick. Johnny Heitinga takes the direct free kick.
- 12:40 Unfair challenge on Iyseden Christie by Sylvain Distin results in a free kick. Shot comes in from Scott Barrow from the free kick.
- 12:06 Header by James McFadden from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 10:04 Effort on goal by Diniyar Bilyaletdinov from just inside the penalty area goes over the target.
- 9:14 Victor Anichebe takes a shot. Save made by Joe Collister.
- 8:17 Magaye Gueye takes a inswinging corner to the near post, clearance by Duane Courtney.
- 7:25 Scott Barrow challenges Seamus Coleman unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Landon Donovan.
- 4:57 Assist on the goal came from Landon Donovan.
- 4:57 GOAL - Johnny Heitinga:Everton 1 - 0 Tamworth Johnny Heitinga finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close in. Everton 1-0 Tamworth.
- 4:34 Corner from the left by-line taken by Landon Donovan,
- 1:51 Magaye Gueye takes a shot. Blocked by Richard Tait.
- 0:43 Marouane Fellaini challenges Kyle Patterson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Strike comes in from Scott Barrow from the free kick.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT