Hull 3 - 1 Ipswich
Page last updated at 19:52 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
Hull booked their place in round four of the FA Cup after seeing off fellow Championship side Ipswich.
Aaron McLean put them ahead, keeping his composure to poke home after good work from Robbie Brady.
Tom Cairney made it 2-0, after catching the goalkeeper off his line with a fine left-foot finish from 25 yards.
Ipswich halved the gap after the break when substitute Jason Scotland tucked in a rebound but Cameron Stewart sealed it on the break in added time.
Hull boss Nicky Barmby made seven changes to the side that lost to Derby last time out, while Ipswich boss Paul Jewell brought in four new faces from the defeat by Nottingham Forest.
Ipswich almost took the lead as early as the fifth minute when Daryl Murphy just failed to get on the end of Aaron Cresswell's cross.
The home side went close through Brady's dangerous free-kick and a drilled near-post effort from Stewart.
Richard Garcia's deft flick from Stewart's cross with his back to goal was also narrowly off target.
But moments later Hull had the lead after a surging run from Brady.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
This was the first time the teams have met in a cup fixture
He found McLean, who held off Ibrahima Sonko and steered his shot past Arran Lee-Barrett.
An alert Cairney notched his first goal of the season to give Hull a two-goal cushion at the interval but Ipswich took advantage of a slow start by the home side after the resumption.
They pulled a goal back when a hopeful long-range effort from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was spilled by Vito Mannone and Scotland pounced with a neat, first-time strike.
More anxiety from the Hull keeper could have resulted in an equaliser but Emmanuel-Thomas finished weakly after Mannone failed to come and claim a ball played over the top.
Mannone redeemed himself with a smart save to keep out a well-struck Josh Carson effort from 25 yards and clung on to deny Grant Leadbitter in stoppage time.
There was to be no replay, however, as Hull broke and the impressive Stewart finished with aplomb.
Hull City caretaker manager Nick Barmby told BBC Radio Humberside:
"We knew that they'd come up against us as they had nothing to lose at 2-0 down and we saw what happened against Barnsley when they won 5-3.
"The main thing is that we're back to winning ways, we've scored three goals and I'm pleased.
"Aaron McLean was a deserved man of the match and I thought he was tremendous but I don't think you can single out a single player."
Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell told BBC Radio Suffolk: "Jimmy Bullard is not very well at all. He says flu has really knocked him off his feet and we'll have to see how he is over the next couple of weeks.
"The club have agreed to pay up Ivar Ingimarsson's contract. It hasn't worked out for him.
"I've never seen a team give goals away like us under no pressure. Every time the opposition go forward, it looks like a goal."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 28 Mannone
- 06 Hobbs
- 15 McShane yellow card
- 19 Dudgeon
- 34 Cooper
- 04 McKenna (Olofinjana 70)
- 07 Stewart
- 14 Cairney
- 09 Mclean (Simpson 90+3)
- 17 Brady
- 29 Garcia (Evans 81)
- 32 Peet,
- 03 Dawson,
- 05 Chester,
- 08 Evans,
- 30 Olofinjana,
- 11 Simpson,
- 35 Cullen
- 12 Lee-Barrett
- 03 Cresswell
- 05 Delaney (Smith 28 yellow card)
- 22 Carson
- 31 Sonko
- 06 Leadbitter
- 07 Edwards
- 09 Emmanuel-Thomas
- 19 Hyam (Chopra 75)
- 18 Ellington (Scotland 46)
- 27 Murphy
- 01 Wright,
- 20 Smith,
- 29 Ainsley,
- 36 White,
- 11 Martin,
- 10 Chopra,
- 14 Scotland
- Hull 62%
- Ipswich 38%
Attempts on target
- Hull 5
- Ipswich 5
Attempts off target
- Hull 7
- Ipswich 5
- Hull 6
- Ipswich 5
- Hull 8
- Ipswich 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:37 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:30 The assist for the goal came from Jay Simpson.
- 90:00+3:30 GOAL - Cameron Stewart:Hull 3 - 1 Ipswich Goal scored by Cameron Stewart from just inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Hull 3-1 Ipswich.
- 90:00+2:57 Substitution Aaron Mclean leaves the field to be replaced by Jay Simpson.
- 90:00+2:04 The ball is crossed by Carlos Edwards, Grant Leadbitter takes a shot. Vito Mannone makes a save.
- 90:00+0:20 Cameron Stewart has an effort at goal from outside the penalty area which goes wide right of the goal.
- 89:09 Free kick awarded for a foul by Grant Leadbitter on Seyi Olofinjana. Vito Mannone takes the indirect free kick.
- 87:43 A cross is delivered by Carlos Edwards.
- 87:18 Carlos Edwards sends in a cross, clearance by Paul McShane.
- 87:00 Cameron Stewart takes a shot. Save by Arran Lee-Barrett.
- 84:47 Corner taken by Robbie Brady, Arran Lee-Barrett makes a save.
- 81:54 Aaron Mclean produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the goal.
- 80:34 Substitution Richard Garcia leaves the field to be replaced by Corry Evans.
- 79:50 Josh Carson takes a shot. Save by Vito Mannone.
- 75:08 Effort on goal by Michael Chopra from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 74:01 Inswinging corner taken by Grant Leadbitter from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Tom Cairney.
- 74:01 Substitution Luke Hyam goes off and Michael Chopra comes on.
- 73:49 Centre by Aaron Cresswell, Cameron Stewart gets a block in.
- 73:43 The ball is swung over by Carlos Edwards.
- 72:49 Corner taken right-footed by Grant Leadbitter, Aaron Mclean makes a clearance.
- 71:41 Effort on goal by Aaron Mclean from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 70:57 Daryl Murphy has an effort at goal from outside the penalty area missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 69:03 Substitution Paul McKenna goes off and Seyi Olofinjana comes on.
- 67:46 Aaron Mclean challenges Tommy Smith unfairly and gives away a free kick. Arran Lee-Barrett takes the free kick.
- 66:49 Aaron Mclean is ruled offside. Arran Lee-Barrett takes the indirect free kick.
- 61:39 Effort from long distance by Robbie Brady goes wide right of the goal.
- 59:52 Aaron Mclean produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 58:25 Robbie Brady takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Jason Scotland. Josh Carson takes a shot. Save by Vito Mannone.
- 57:47 Cameron Stewart delivers the ball, Luke Hyam makes a clearance.
- 56:27 The assist for the goal came from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
- 56:27 GOAL - Jason Scotland:Hull 2 - 1 Ipswich Jason Scotland finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the box low into the middle of the goal. Hull 2-1 Ipswich.
- 56:01 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas takes a shot. Save by Vito Mannone.
- 55:01 Corner taken by Grant Leadbitter from the left by-line to the near post, Tom Cairney makes a clearance.
- 54:04 Grant Leadbitter has an effort direct from the free kick, blocked by Paul McKenna.
- 54:04 Booking The referee shows Paul McShane a yellow card.
- 53:50 Aaron Cresswell fouled by Paul McShane, the ref awards a free kick.
- 53:20 Unfair challenge on Luke Hyam by Robbie Brady results in a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Arran Lee-Barrett.
- 52:50 Richard Garcia fouled by Luke Hyam, the ref awards a free kick. Paul McKenna takes the free kick.
- 49:54 Direct free kick taken by Tom Cairney.
- 49:54 Booking Booking for Tommy Smith for unsporting behaviour.
- 49:42 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tommy Smith on Robbie Brady.
- 48:06 The ball is sent over by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, clearance by Liam Cooper.
- 47:38 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas delivers the ball, clearance by Jack Hobbs.
- 45:49 Paul McKenna challenges Josh Carson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Arran Lee-Barrett.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- 45:01 Substitution Jason Scotland is brought on as a substitute for Nathan Ellington.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:22 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+1:50 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas crosses the ball.
- 42:58 Grant Leadbitter takes a shot. Save by Vito Mannone.
- 41:39 Corner taken by Grant Leadbitter played to the near post, clearance by Tom Cairney.
- 41:14 Aaron Mclean concedes a free kick for a foul on Tommy Smith. Free kick taken by Arran Lee-Barrett.
- 38:22 Carlos Edwards handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Tom Cairney takes the indirect free kick.
- 37:25 Foul by Tommy Smith on Aaron Mclean, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Robbie Brady.
- 34:51 Carlos Edwards produces a cross, Liam Cooper manages to make a clearance.
- 33:02 Foul by Carlos Edwards on Cameron Stewart, free kick awarded. Joe Dudgeon takes the free kick.
- 31:25 Cameron Stewart provided the assist for the goal.
- 31:25 GOAL - Tom Cairney:Hull 2 - 0 Ipswich A goal is scored by Tom Cairney from outside the penalty area to the top right corner of the goal. Hull 2-0 Ipswich.
- 30:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Grant Leadbitter by Paul McKenna. Indirect free kick taken by Arran Lee-Barrett.
- 29:19 The assistant referee signals for offside against Aaron Mclean. Arran Lee-Barrett takes the free kick.
- 27:50 Substitution (Ipswich) makes a substitution, with Tommy Smith coming on for Damien Delaney.
- 26:40 Assist on the goal came from Robbie Brady.
- 26:40 GOAL - Aaron Mclean:Hull 1 - 0 Ipswich Aaron Mclean finds the net with a goal from inside the box low into the middle of the goal. Hull 1-0 Ipswich.
- 26:28 Aaron Cresswell produces a cross, clearance made by Joe Dudgeon.
- 23:58 Cameron Stewart sends in a cross, Richard Garcia has an effort at goal from close range which goes wide right of the goal.
- 22:00 Corner from left by-line taken by Tom Cairney.
- 21:45 Cameron Stewart takes a shot. Blocked by Damien Delaney.
- 19:43 The ball is crossed by Aaron Cresswell, save by Vito Mannone.
- 18:58 Richard Garcia crosses the ball, Damien Delaney makes a clearance.
- 17:58 Carlos Edwards crosses the ball, save made by Vito Mannone. Corner taken by Grant Leadbitter from the left by-line, clearance by Jack Hobbs.
- 17:03 Shot from just outside the area by Daryl Murphy misses to the right of the target.
- 16:11 The referee blows for offside against Aaron Mclean. Arran Lee-Barrett takes the indirect free kick.
- 15:27 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Jack Hobbs takes the free kick.
- 13:27 Inswinging corner taken by Tom Cairney, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas makes a clearance.
- 13:15 The ball is sent over by Aaron Mclean, Arran Lee-Barrett makes a save.
- 12:12 Joe Dudgeon challenges Josh Carson unfairly and gives away a free kick. Carlos Edwards takes the indirect free kick.
- 11:09 Outswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Tom Cairney.
- 10:28 Short corner worked by Cameron Stewart, Cameron Stewart takes a shot. Save by Arran Lee-Barrett.
- 9:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Cameron Stewart by Josh Carson. Robbie Brady delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from left wing, Damien Delaney makes a clearance.
- 8:15 Joe Dudgeon fouled by Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Joe Dudgeon.
- 7:41 Carlos Edwards crosses the ball, Jack Hobbs makes a clearance.
- 7:00 The official flags Nathan Ellington offside. Indirect free kick taken by Vito Mannone.
- 6:19 Paul McKenna gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Grant Leadbitter. Ibrahima Sonko restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:59 Grant Leadbitter delivers the ball.
- 4:48 Aaron Cresswell crosses the ball.
- 1:45 Josh Carson challenges Richard Garcia unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Vito Mannone.
- 1:06 The ball is sent over by Nathan Ellington, clearance by Liam Cooper.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT