Norwich 4 - 1 Burnley
Page last updated at 18:33 GMT, Saturday, 7 January 2012
Norwich cruised into the fourth round after scoring twice in each half during a classy display against Burnley.
Early headers by Grant Holt and Simeon Jackson made it 2-0 to Norwich before Jay Rodriguez pulled a goal back, nodding in a Ross Wallace free-kick.
Holt missed a penalty before the break after Charlie Austin was adjudged to have handled Andrew Crofts's cross.
But Andrew Surman's cool finish and Steve Morison's tap-in completed a well-deserved victory.
DID YOU KNOW?Continue reading the main story
- Norwich have been strugglers in the Cup in recent years. This victory was only their third FA Cup third round win in their past 15 attempts.
Norwich's Premier League quality shone through in their superior passing and movement. Wes Hoolahan was a major threat going forward for the Premier League side while Daniel Ayala impressed in defence.
Given how many of Norwich's players were in the Championship last season, the commanding nature of the victory illustrated just how far they have come in a short space of time under manager Paul Lambert.
It also demonstrated how much work Burnley have to do before a return to the top flight becomes realistic.
Lambert made five changes, including a rare start for Declan Rudd in goal, but their side was still strong as they faced a Burnley team who have made a habit of cup runs in recent years.
Burnley fielded three forwards - and came into the game on the back of three clean sheets in four matches - but any hopes of an upset were severely damaged by the quarter-hour mark.
Norwich's first came when Hoolahan showed his ability to deliver for Holt to head in. The Irishman then cut easily through Burnley again as he supplied Adam Drury, whose cross was met by a Jackson header that went in off the underside of the bar.
But Burnley's response was swift as Wallace's free-kick was finished by Rodriguez's impressive, looping effort.
The frantic start continued and Norwich threatened a third, as Crofts's strike from an awkward angle was blocked by Ben Mee, with the hosts' handball claims waved away by referee Mike Jones.
The home side were awarded a spot-kick when Crofts's cross was deemed to have been handled by Austin - it appeared a harsh decision - but Holt uncharacteristically failed to hit the target.
Rudd kept out Rodriguez's 25-yard volley then Ayala blocked a close-range Austin shot as Burnley failed in their attempts to force an equaliser before half-time.
Norwich pressed again early in the second period. During a goalmouth scramble, Hoolahan had a shot saved brilliantly by Grant, then Holt hit the post on the rebound, before Jackson somehow failed to steer in a follow-up from six yards.
But they restored their two-goal advantage after some neat build-up play that culminated in Drury's pass being flicked on delightfully by Jackson before Surman kept his composure to strike home.
Two Norwich substitutes made an immediate impact to put the result beyond doubt as their team strolled through the final stages of the match.
Aaron Wilbraham first forced a save from Grant, who could only push the ball into the path of Morison and the Wales international had an easy task tucking in the fourth.
Norwich manager Paul Lambert: "To go through is the most important thing, but we dominated the game from start to finish.
"Burnley have been doing well in the Championship but, hopefully, we have moved on from last year when we had two really tough games against them.
"The Premier League does that to teams, with the level and the intensity you play at. It makes everybody step up to the plate and it was important nobody went below that."
Burnley manager Eddie Howe: "Norwich have definitely improved and got some good players with consistent results. As such, they are hard to beat.
"We were not at full strength today and, when you come to a Premier League ground, you need to have your best team with you to have any chance.
"We will learn from it and hopefully have a good second half to the season."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 January 2012
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 13 Rudd
- 02 R Martin
- 03 Drury
- 06 Whitbread yellow card
- 26 Ayala yellow card
- 07 Crofts
- 11 Surman
- 14 Hoolahan (Bennett 77)
- 15 Fox
- 09 Holt (Wilbraham 71)
- 10 Jackson (Morison 71)
- 01 Grant
- 15 Edgar
- 21 Amougou (MacDonald 75)
- 24 Easton
- 36 Mee
- 06 McCann
- 07 Wallace (Bartley 53)
- 08 Marney
- 09 Rodriguez
- 10 Paterson
- 23 Austin (Stanislas 71)
- 30 Stewart,
- 11 Stanislas,
- 20 Bartley,
- 26 Treacy,
- 27 MacDonald,
- 16 Hines,
- 44 Jackson
- Norwich 49%
- Burnley 51%
Attempts on target
- Norwich 11
- Burnley 5
Attempts off target
- Norwich 8
- Burnley 4
- Norwich 5
- Burnley 3
- Norwich 10
- Burnley 6
- Final Result
- 93:06 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:47 The ball is sent over by Elliott Bennett, save made by Lee Grant.
- 90:00+2:32 The ball is crossed by David Fox, Lee Grant makes a clearance.
- 90:00+2:14 Corner taken left-footed by Andrew Surman.
- 90:00+0:59 Andrew Crofts takes a shot. Lee Grant makes a fantastic save.
- 89:22 Centre by Russell Martin, Lee Grant makes a save.
- 87:56 Elliott Bennett delivers the ball.
- 85:39 The ball is delivered by Adam Drury, Brian Easton manages to make a clearance.
- 83:55 Junior Stanislas produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 83:55 Booking Daniel Ayala is cautioned.
- 83:44 Daniel Ayala concedes a free kick for a foul on Junior Stanislas.
- 82:10 Free kick awarded for a foul by Elliott Bennett on Alex MacDonald. Direct free kick taken by David Edgar.
- 81:21 Elliott Bennett produces a cross, clearance made by David Edgar.
- 80:04 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Junior Stanislas.
- 78:57 Booking Zak Whitbread is cautioned.
- 77:51 Junior Stanislas takes a shot. Declan Rudd makes a save.
- 76:44 Substitution Wesley Hoolahan leaves the field to be replaced by Elliott Bennett.
- 76:40 The ball is sent over by Junior Stanislas.
- 76:11 Corner taken by Junior Stanislas from the right by-line, clearance made by Russell Martin.
- 74:20 The ball is delivered by David Fox, Lee Grant manages to make a clearance.
- 74:20 Substitution Andre Amougou leaves the field to be replaced by Alex MacDonald.
- 74:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andre Amougou on Aaron Wilbraham.
- 72:19 Aaron Wilbraham provided the assist for the goal.
- 72:19 GOAL - Steve Morison:Norwich 4 - 1 Burnley Steve Morison scores a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Norwich 4-1 Burnley.
- 72:05 Aaron Wilbraham takes a shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 70:00 Substitution Junior Stanislas is brought on as a substitute for Charlie Austin.
- 70:00 Substitution Aaron Wilbraham on for Grant Holt.
- 70:00 Substitution Steve Morison is brought on as a substitute for Simeon Jackson.
- 70:00 Andrew Crofts fouled by Jay Rodriguez, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by David Fox.
- 68:20 Simeon Jackson sends in a cross, Ben Mee manages to make a clearance.
- 67:34 The ball is delivered by Andrew Surman, clearance by Ben Mee.
- 67:21 Centre by Russell Martin.
- 66:01 The ball is crossed by David Edgar, save by Declan Rudd.
- 65:26 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Jay Rodriguez.
- 65:22 David Edgar delivers the ball, clearance made by Russell Martin.
- 64:22 Adam Drury sends in a cross, clearance made by Andre Amougou.
- 63:30 Effort on goal by Andrew Surman from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 63:07 Wesley Hoolahan delivers the ball, clearance made by Chris McCann. Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Wesley Hoolahan.
- 59:24 The assist for the goal came from Simeon Jackson.
- 59:24 GOAL - Andrew Surman:Norwich 3 - 1 Burnley Andrew Surman scores a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Norwich 3-1 Burnley.
- 57:33 Foul by Grant Holt on Andre Amougou, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Lee Grant.
- 55:42 Daniel Ayala gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Brian Easton. Free kick crossed right-footed by Dean Marney, save by Declan Rudd.
- 54:58 Grant Holt challenges Jay Rodriguez unfairly and gives away a free kick. Ben Mee takes the free kick.
- 53:57 Simeon Jackson has an effort at goal from close range which goes wide left of the goal.
- 53:40 Shot by Grant Holt from deep inside the area hits the post.
- 53:15 Adam Drury crosses the ball, Andrew Crofts takes a shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 52:01 Substitution Marvin Bartley replaces Ross Wallace.
- 51:46 David Fox has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 49:16 Grant Holt concedes a free kick for a foul on Ben Mee. Ben Mee restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:47 Effort from long range by Jay Rodriguez goes wide right of the target.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:06 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:30 Centre by Andrew Crofts, clearance made by David Edgar.
- 43:05 Brian Easton gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Simeon Jackson. Free kick taken by David Fox.
- 42:32 The ball is delivered by Grant Holt, save made by Lee Grant.
- 41:26 A cross is delivered by David Edgar, Declan Rudd makes a save.
- 41:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Brian Easton by Andrew Crofts. Ben Mee takes the free kick.
- 40:25 A cross is delivered by Wesley Hoolahan.
- 37:48 The official flags Wesley Hoolahan offside. Ben Mee takes the indirect free kick.
- 35:34 Chris McCann delivers the ball.
- 35:10 David Fox challenges Ross Wallace unfairly and gives away a free kick. Dean Marney takes the free kick.
- 33:28 Russell Martin sends in a cross.
- 33:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jay Rodriguez on Grant Holt. Grant Holt restarts play with the free kick.
- 32:47 Russell Martin produces a cross, Ben Mee manages to make a clearance.
- 32:03 Jay Rodriguez takes a shot. Declan Rudd makes a comfortable save.
- 29:59 Penalty missed wide left by Grant Holt.
- 29:59 Charlie Austin is penalised for handball and concedes a .
- 29:28 Andrew Crofts takes a shot.
- 27:18 Wesley Hoolahan takes a shot. Chris McCann gets a block in.
- 26:21 Wesley Hoolahan produces a curled left-footed shot from 25 yards. Save made by Lee Grant.
- 26:15 The ball is sent over by Andrew Crofts, clearance by Chris McCann.
- 25:17 A cross is delivered by Wesley Hoolahan, clearance made by Ben Mee.
- 24:42 Brian Easton produces a cross, save by Declan Rudd.
- 23:46 Long distance shot from Ross Wallace misses to the left of the net.
- 23:39 Brian Easton crosses the ball, Andrew Crofts makes a clearance.
- 22:38 Simeon Jackson is ruled offside. Lee Grant restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:25 Ross Wallace sends in a cross.
- 20:02 David Fox produces a right-footed shot from outside the penalty box and misses wide left of the target.
- 18:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andre Amougou on Grant Holt. David Fox fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick, clearance by Dean Marney. Andrew Surman takes a outswinging corner to the near post, Jay Rodriguez makes a clearance.
- 18:02 Centre by Chris McCann, Andrew Surman makes a clearance.
- 17:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andrew Crofts on Chris McCann. Chris McCann takes the free kick.
- 17:08 The ball is sent over by Andrew Surman, Andrew Crofts takes a shot. Save by Lee Grant.
- 14:15 Assist on the goal came from Ross Wallace.
- 14:15 GOAL - Jay Rodriguez:Norwich 2 - 1 Burnley Jay Rodriguez finds the net with a headed goal from just outside the penalty box. Norwich 2-1 Burnley.
- 13:46 Adam Drury gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Martin Paterson. The ball is crossed by Ross Wallace,
- 13:37 The ball is swung over by Adam Drury, Chris McCann manages to make a clearance.
- 11:59 Adam Drury provided the assist for the goal.
- 11:59 GOAL - Simeon Jackson:Norwich 2 - 0 Burnley Simeon Jackson finds the back of the net with a headed goal from close range. Norwich 2-0 Burnley.
- 11:56 Adam Drury sends in a cross,
- 10:29 The ball is delivered by Dean Marney.
- 9:55 The ball is sent over by Jay Rodriguez, Daniel Ayala manages to make a clearance.
- 9:07 Grant Holt is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Lee Grant restarts play with the free kick.
- 7:51 Effort on goal by Adam Drury from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 7:19 Corner taken left-footed by Andrew Surman to the near post, Jay Rodriguez makes a clearance.
- 7:13 A cross is delivered by Grant Holt, clearance by Chris McCann.
- Correction - 5:13 Wesley Hoolahan provided the assist for the goal.
- 5:13 Assist on the goal came from Andrew Surman.
- 5:13 GOAL - Grant Holt:Norwich 1 - 0 Burnley Grant Holt finds the net with a headed goal from close in. Norwich 1-0 Burnley.
- Correction - 5:10 Wesley Hoolahan delivers the ball,
- 5:10 A cross is delivered by Andrew Surman,
- 4:56 Corner taken left-footed by Andrew Surman.
- 4:31 Andrew Surman takes a shot. Andre Amougou makes a clearance.
- 3:46 Ben Mee concedes a free kick for a foul on Grant Holt. Direct free kick taken by David Fox.
- 2:41 Jay Rodriguez takes a shot. Fantastic save by Declan Rudd.
- 1:31 Ross Wallace takes a shot. Save made by Declan Rudd.
- 1:19 Martin Paterson delivers the ball, Zak Whitbread makes a clearance.
- 0:38 The ball is crossed by Brian Easton, Chris McCann takes a shot. Save by Declan Rudd.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
FA Cup results
- Bristol Rovers1-3Aston VillaFT
- Crawley Town1-0Bristol CityFT
- Dag & Red0-0MillwallFT
- Derby1-0Crystal PalaceFT
- Doncaster0-2Notts CountyFT
- MK Dons1-1QPRFT
- Nott'm Forest0-0LeicesterFT
- Sheffield Utd3-1SalisburyFT
- West Brom4-2CardiffFT