Aldershot 2 - 0 Maidenhead Utd
Page last updated at 21:49 GMT, Tuesday, 22 November 2011
First-half strikes from Luke Guttridge and Alex Rodman helped Aldershot to victory over Maidenhead United.
Rodman was allowed too much space at the edge of the Magpies penalty area, and fired a low shot past goalkeeper Sam Beasant.
The Blue Square Bet South club almost levelled through Will Hendry, before Guttridge doubled Aldershot's lead by heading home Darren Jones' cross.
The Shots nearly made it three, Danny Hylton dinking Guttridge's pass wide.
Aldershot are away to League One giants Sheffield Wednesday in the second round on 3 December.VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Aldershot manager Dean Holdsworth told BBC Surrey:
"We scored two good goals. On another night I think we could have scored three or four. The key word was patience tonight. They put 11 behind the ball as we knew. But it's a patient and professional performance.
"We started on the front foot, which was good. I played three in midfield as I thought we would have a lot of the ball. I'm delighted we did that. We're through, and that's all that matters.
"I was delighted by (centre-half) Aaron Morris tonight. He really was outstanding and we got a clean sheet. We were on a hiding to nothing tonight because you've got to turn up and do the professional thing, and we've done that. Now we can take the fans to Hillsborough."
Maidenhead manager Johnson Hippolyte told BBC Radio Berkshire:
"It was a brave effort and I'm proud of the boys, it's just a shame we conceded two poor goals. But we didn't cave in, we stuck out our chests and we had a good go in the second half and had a few half chances.
"We gave them a bit too much respect in the first half and didn't press them and conceded a poor goal. I ragged them at half-time and told them to believe in themselves and we did better in the second 45 minutes.
"Before the FA Cup first round draw was made we were about sixth in the table and now we are fifth from bottom and we need to improve our league form now. It is a distraction, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the FA Cup."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 22 November 2011
The FA Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Young
- 02 Herd
- 03 Straker
- 05 Jones
- 11 Rodman
- 15 Morris
- 04 Guttridge (Vincenti 82)
- 07 McGlashan (Mekki 65)
- 08 Collins yellow card
- 33 Davies
- 09 Rankine (Hylton 65)
- 41 Tucker,
- 06 Brown,
- 23 Vincenti,
- 14 Pulis,
- 17 Mekki,
- 22 Breimyr,
- 10 Hylton
- 01 Beasant
- 02 Behzadi
- 05 Saroya yellow card (McKain 63)
- 06 Scarborough
- 07 Powell
- 03 Solomon yellow card
- 04 Brown
- 08 Hendry
- 09 Holgate
- 10 Thomas (Williams 58)
- 11 Stanislaus (Wall 66)
- 16 McKain,
- 15 Crook,
- 18 Ahmidi,
- 19 Davies,
- 12 Williams,
- 14 Wall,
- 17 Lumley
- Aldershot 52%
- Maidenhead Utd 48%
Attempts on target
- Aldershot 9
- Maidenhead Utd 2
Attempts off target
- Aldershot 4
- Maidenhead Utd 3
- Aldershot 7
- Maidenhead Utd 5
- Aldershot 4
- Maidenhead Utd 6
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:35 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+2:04 Corner taken by Alex Wall.
- 90:00+1:39 Alex Wall takes a shot. Save by Jamie Young.
- 90:00+0:17 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Scott Davies, Bobby Behzadi manages to make a clearance.
- 89:54 Adam Mekki takes a shot. Save by Sam Beasant.
- 89:22 Danny Hylton is ruled offside. Sam Beasant takes the indirect free kick.
- 82:30 Shot from just outside the box by Manny Williams goes over the crossbar.
- 81:37 Substitution Peter Vincenti comes on in place of Luke Guttridge.
- 81:24 Scott Davies takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 78:24 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Alex Wall by Anthony Straker. Bobby Behzadi takes the free kick.
- 76:49 Danny Hylton has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the goal.
- 76:06 Luke Guttridge gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on John Scarborough. Free kick taken by Sam Beasant.
- 71:48 Inswinging corner taken by Alex Rodman, John Scarborough makes a clearance.
- 71:01 Corner taken right-footed by Scott Davies from the right by-line to the near post, Daniel Brown manages to make a clearance.
- 70:48 Scott Davies takes a shot. Save by Sam Beasant.
- 70:05 Shot from just outside the penalty box by Manny Williams misses to the left of the target.
- 68:18 Effort from the edge of the penalty area by Luke Guttridge goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 65:58 Substitution Alex Wall joins the action as a substitute, replacing Reis Stanislaus.
- 64:25 Substitution Danny Hylton is brought on as a substitute for Michael Rankine.
- 64:25 Substitution (Aldershot) makes a substitution, with Adam Mekki coming on for Jermaine McGlashan.
- 62:41 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Leon Solomon from the right by-line, clearance by Luke Guttridge.
- 62:41 Substitution Nevin Saroya goes off and Devante McKain comes on.
- 62:25 Daniel Brown takes a shot. Save made by Jamie Young.
- 61:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Will Hendry on Jamie Collins. Jamie Young restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:19 Will Hendry produces a right-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 59:26 Effort from the edge of the box by Michael Rankine goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 58:47 Foul by Will Hendry on Alex Rodman, free kick awarded. Jamie Collins takes the direct free kick.
- 57:02 Substitution Anthony Thomas leaves the field to be replaced by Manny Williams.
- 55:10 Scott Davies decides to take a short corner.
- 54:41 Luke Guttridge takes a shot. Save by Sam Beasant.
- 53:00 Foul by Nevin Saroya on Jermaine McGlashan, free kick awarded. Anthony Straker takes the direct free kick.
- 52:08 Ben Herd takes a shot. Save by Sam Beasant.
- 49:15 Inswinging corner taken by Leon Solomon, clearance by Darren Jones.
- 48:40 Foul by Alex Rodman on Will Hendry, free kick awarded. Free kick crossed left-footed by Leon Solomon from right wing, clearance made by Darren Jones.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:15 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 43:30 Alex Rodman is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Bobby Behzadi takes the indirect free kick.
- 41:29 Scott Davies takes the direct free kick.
- 41:29 Booking Leon Solomon booked.
- 41:15 Jermaine McGlashan fouled by Leon Solomon, the ref awards a free kick.
- 39:59 The assistant referee signals for offside against Michael Rankine. Sam Beasant restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:38 Corner from the right by-line taken by Leon Solomon, clearance by Aaron Morris.
- 37:49 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Leon Solomon.
- 35:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luke Guttridge by Daniel Brown. Ben Herd fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 33:20 The assist for the goal came from Darren Jones.
- 33:20 GOAL - Luke Guttridge:Aldershot 2 - 0 Maidenhead Utd Luke Guttridge grabs a headed goal from inside the penalty box. Aldershot 2-0 Maidenhead Utd.
- 29:44 Anthony Thomas takes the direct free kick.
- 29:44 Booking Jamie Collins is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 29:33 Booking Nevin Saroya booked.
- 27:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jamie Collins on Will Hendry.
- 24:52 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jamie Collins. Sam Beasant takes the indirect free kick.
- 19:45 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Scott Davies, clearance made by Nevin Saroya.
- 18:58 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Scott Davies, Sam Beasant makes a save.
- 17:59 Unfair challenge on Darren Jones by Anthony Thomas results in a free kick. Aaron Morris takes the free kick.
- 16:55 Jermaine McGlashan is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Sam Beasant.
- 16:01 Michael Rankine takes a shot. Sam Beasant makes a save.
- 14:20 Assist by Luke Guttridge.
- 14:20 GOAL - Alex Rodman:Aldershot 1 - 0 Maidenhead Utd A goal is scored by Alex Rodman from outside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Aldershot 1-0 Maidenhead Utd.
- 12:16 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Scott Davies from the right by-line, John Scarborough manages to make a clearance.
- 11:56 Michael Rankine takes a shot. Sam Beasant makes a save.
- 7:05 The offside flag is raised against Reis Stanislaus. Indirect free kick taken by Jamie Young.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.