Crewe 1 - 4 Colchester
Page last updated at 19:28 GMT, Saturday, 12 November 2011
Ten-man Crewe were knocked out of the FA Cup by Colchester in Steve Davis's first game in charge.
Byron Moore put the Alex ahead, but they were reduced to 10 men when captain Ashley Westwood was sent off for a two-footed lunge on Ben Coker.
Lloyd James levelled the scores with a 35-yard strike before Andy Bond put the U's ahead with a sidefooted effort from a corner.
Coker fired in a third, before James grabbed his second in stoppage time.VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Crewe manager Steve Davis told BBC Radio Stoke:
"Up until the sending-off, I don't think they'd had a chance, so that was a game-changing thing.
"I'm going to defend him, he was over the top and a little bit late, but he needs that tenacious part of his game.
"I apologised to their manager, it was a bad tackle and it did deserve a sending-off."
Colchester United manager John Ward told BBC Essex:
"Second half was pretty emphatic, the first half was level. We were very upset and disappointed with ourselves at half-time.
"We always felt if we could get an equaliser reasonably early, we would get the lift ourselves and that's what happened.
"We were really pleased with the response from the team. That's the third time this year we've put four goals past an opponent. We can do that when we get it right."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 12 November 2011
The FA Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Phillips
- 02 Tootle
- 05 Artell
- 06 Dugdale
- 15 Martin
- 04 Westwood red card
- 07 Bell (Hughes 84)
- 08 Murphy
- 10 Leitch-Smith (Mellor 84)
- 11 Moore
- 25 Powell (Sarcevic 67)
- 13 Martin,
- 03 Davis,
- 12 Shelley,
- 14 Sarcevic,
- 17 Mellor,
- 24 Hughes,
- 19 Clayton
- 01 Williams
- 04 Okuonghae yellow card
- 06 Heath
- 20 Wilson
- 14 Bond
- 23 James yellow card
- 24 Coker yellow card
- 07 Vincent (Duguid 82)
- 15 Odejayi
- 16 Henderson
- 19 Thomas (Izzet 56)
- 12 Cousins,
- 03 Rose,
- 18 Eastman,
- 10 Izzet,
- 27 Duguid,
- 31 Hamilton
- Crewe 40%
- Colchester 60%
Attempts on target
- Crewe 7
- Colchester 11
Attempts off target
- Crewe 2
- Colchester 8
- Crewe 2
- Colchester 12
- Crewe 5
- Colchester 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:02 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:47 The assist for the goal came from Brian Wilson.
- 90:00+1:47 GOAL - Lloyd James:Crewe 1 - 4 Colchester Lloyd James scores a goal from outside the box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Crewe 1-4 Colchester.
- 90:00+0:35 Lloyd James decides to take a short corner.
- 89:29 The assistant referee signals for offside against Andy Bond. Steve Phillips takes the free kick.
- 86:48 GOAL - Ben Coker:Crewe 1 - 3 Colchester Ben Coker fires in a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. Crewe 1-3 Colchester.
- 84:22 Booking Magnus Okuonghae is given a yellow card.
- 84:09 Unfair challenge on Kelvin Mellor by Magnus Okuonghae results in a free kick. Luke Murphy takes the direct free kick.
- 83:03 Substitution Kelvin Mellor comes on in place of Ajay Leitch-Smith.
- 83:03 Substitution Caspar Hughes replaces Lee Bell.
- 81:16 Substitution Karl Duguid comes on in place of Ashley Vincent.
- 81:16 Lloyd James produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 80:45 Andy Bond takes a shot. Save by Steve Phillips. Short corner taken by Lloyd James.
- 79:50 Kayode Odejayi fouled by Lee Bell, the ref awards a free kick. Lloyd James takes the free kick.
- 78:59 Shot from just outside the area by Ashley Vincent misses to the left of the target.
- 76:13 Lloyd James provided the assist for the goal.
- 76:13 GOAL - Andy Bond:Crewe 1 - 2 Colchester Andy Bond scores a goal from inside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Crewe 1-2 Colchester.
- 73:08 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Lloyd James, Matt Heath takes a shot. Luke Murphy manages to make a clearance. Corner taken by Lloyd James, Magnus Okuonghae takes a shot. Blocked by David Artell. Corner from the right by-line taken by Lloyd James, Lee Bell makes a clearance. Corner taken by Lloyd James.
- 71:12 Drilled right-footed shot by Andy Bond. Steve Phillips makes a save. Inswinging corner taken by Lloyd James, clearance made by David Artell.
- 69:21 Ajay Leitch-Smith takes a shot. Save by Ben Williams.
- 66:56 Substitution (Crewe) makes a substitution, with Antoni Sarcevic coming on for Nick Powell.
- 66:24 Booking Ben Coker goes into the referee's book.
- 66:09 Ben Coker challenges Luke Murphy unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Steve Phillips.
- 65:33 Lee Bell takes a shot. Save by Ben Williams.
- 64:08 Brian Wilson concedes a free kick for a foul on Byron Moore. Steve Phillips restarts play with the free kick.
- 61:32 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Nick Powell, save made by Ben Williams.
- Correction - 60:41 Ajay Leitch-Smith takes a shot. Matt Heath gets a block in.
- 60:41 Kemal Izzet takes a shot. Adam Dugdale gets a block in.
- 59:08 GOAL - Lloyd James:Crewe 1 - 1 Colchester Goal scored by Lloyd James from 35 yards. Crewe 1-1 Colchester.
- 57:23 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Lloyd James from the right by-line, David Artell makes a clearance.
- 56:35 Ashley Vincent takes a shot. Adam Dugdale gets a block in. Lloyd James takes a outswinging corner to the near post.
- 55:01 Substitution Kemal Izzet comes on in place of Casey Thomas.
- 50:37 Shot from just outside the box by Casey Thomas goes over the crossbar.
- 49:46 Lloyd James gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nick Powell. Direct strike on goal from the free kick comes in from Nick Powell.
- 49:11 The ball is swung over by Ashley Vincent, Steve Phillips makes a save.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:17 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 44:44 Lloyd James decides to take the corner short.
- 42:43 Long range effort from Andy Bond misses to the left of the target.
- 42:18 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Lloyd James by Byron Moore. Free kick taken by Lloyd James.
- 40:10 The offside flag is raised against Ashley Vincent. Steve Phillips restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:44 Headed effort from inside the area by Kayode Odejayi misses to the left of the goal.
- Correction - 37:01 The referee blows for offside against Ajay Leitch-Smith. Ben Williams restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:01 Ajay Leitch-Smith is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Ben Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 36:07 The referee blows for offside against Ian Henderson. Indirect free kick taken by Steve Phillips.
- 35:11 Ashley Vincent takes a shot. Blocked by Lee Bell.
- 34:08 Andy Bond takes a shot. Blocked by Luke Murphy. Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Lloyd James from the left by-line.
- 33:43 Unfair challenge on Casey Thomas by Lee Bell results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Lloyd James.
- 32:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Lee Bell on Lloyd James. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Ian Henderson from left channel.
- 30:03 Lee Bell takes a shot. Blocked by Lloyd James. The referee blows for offside. Ben Williams takes the free kick.
- 29:20 Matt Heath challenges Ajay Leitch-Smith unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Lee Bell.
- 27:46 Headed effort from inside the area by Lloyd James misses to the left of the target.
- 24:35 Nick Powell takes a shot. Lloyd James gets a block in.
- 22:41 Booking Lloyd James goes into the referee's book.
- 22:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Nick Powell by Lloyd James. Free kick taken by Lee Bell.
- 20:05 Ben Williams takes the direct free kick.
- 20:05 Sent off The referee shows Ashley Westwood a red card.
- 19:41 Unfair challenge on Ben Coker by Ashley Westwood results in a free kick.
- 18:52 Assist by Ajay Leitch-Smith.
- 18:52 GOAL - Byron Moore:Crewe 1 - 0 Colchester Byron Moore fires in a goal from inside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Crewe 1-0 Colchester.
- 18:21 Ajay Leitch-Smith takes a shot. Save made by Ben Williams.
- 16:57 Corner taken by Lloyd James from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Lee Bell.
- 16:08 Lloyd James takes a shot. Adam Dugdale gets a block in.
- 12:04 Corner taken by Ashley Westwood from the left by-line, Kayode Odejayi manages to make a clearance.
- 11:51 Andy Bond concedes a free kick for a foul on Matt Tootle. Luke Murphy takes the direct free kick.
- 11:24 The offside flag is raised against Ajay Leitch-Smith. Matt Heath takes the free kick.
- 10:53 Ajay Leitch-Smith is ruled offside. Ben Williams takes the free kick.
- 2:34 Nick Powell takes a shot. Save made by Ben Williams.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
The FA Cup results
- AFC Totton8-1Bradford PAFT
- AFC Wimbledon0-0ScunthorpeFT
- Alfreton Town0-4CarlisleFT
- Blyth Spartans0-2GatesheadFT
- Bristol Rovers3-1CorbyFT
- Bury0-2Crawley TownFT
- Chelmsford4-0AFC TelfordFT
- Dag & Red1-1Bath CityFT
- East Thurrock0-3MacclesfieldFT
- Hinckley Utd2-2TamworthFT
- Leyton Orient3-0BromleyFT
- Maidenhead Utd1-1AldershotFT
- MK Dons6-0Nantwich TownFT
- Notts County4-1AccringtonFT
- Oldham3-1Burton AlbionFT
- Port Vale0-0GrimsbyFT
- Redbridge0-0Oxford CityFT
- Sheffield Utd3-0Oxford UtdFT
- Sutton Utd1-0KetteringFT