Preston 0 - 0 Southend
Page last updated at 19:07 GMT, Saturday, 12 November 2011
Preston's Barry Nicholson missed a first-half penalty as League Two leaders Southend forced an FA Cup first-round replay.
Nicholson had an early chance to put North End ahead but shot straight at Shrimpers goalkeeper Luke Daniels.
The striker had a chance to make amends but fired his penalty over the bar after Southend's Peter Gilbert had brought down Paul Coutts in the area.
Ryan Hall went closest for Southend but he was denied by Thorsten Stuckmann.VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Southend manager Paul Sturrock told BBC Essex:
"We held our own in the first 20 minutes but we were sluggish for the next 25. It wasn't until the substitution (of Kalala) that we took charge of the game.
"The first half was really all them, our goalie kept us in it with two great saves.
"In the second half we looked a much better, stronger side and we looked as though we could go on and win it."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 12 November 2011
The FA Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Stuckmann
- 03 McLaughlin
- 05 Carlisle
- 06 Morgan
- 17 Parry
- 04 Ashbee yellow card
- 08 Coutts
- 10 Nicholson (Middleton 62)
- 16 Mayor
- 36 Clark yellow card (Zibaka 79)
- 11 Tsoumou
- 25 Arestidou,
- 02 Gray,
- 12 McLean,
- 14 Smith,
- 22 Alexander,
- 29 Middleton,
- 40 Zibaka
- 31 Daniels
- 02 Clohessy
- 03 Gilbert
- 15 Phillips
- 23 Barker
- 08 Timlin
- 12 Ferdinand
- 19 Kalala (Bilel 51)
- 04 Hall
- 18 Leonard
- 22 Dickinson
- 17 Bentley,
- 05 Coughlan,
- 06 Bilel,
- 16 Prosser,
- 11 Sawyer,
- 14 Johnson,
- 09 Harris
- Preston 51%
- Southend 49%
Attempts on target
- Preston 9
- Southend 2
Attempts off target
- Preston 4
- Southend 5
- Preston 6
- Southend 5
- Preston 11
- Southend 5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:12 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+0:36 Danny Mayor takes the inswinging corner, Bilel Mohsni manages to make a clearance.
- 87:46 Danny Mayor takes a shot. Save by Luke Daniels. Paul Coutts takes a shot. Corner taken short by Doyle Middleton. Save by Luke Daniels. Liam Dickinson fouled by Clarke Carlisle, the ref awards a free kick. Luke Daniels takes the free kick.
- 85:24 Paul Coutts challenges Ryan Leonard unfairly and gives away a free kick. Michael Timlin takes the direct free kick.
- 85:04 Juvhel Tsoumou takes a shot. Save by Luke Daniels.
- 80:53 Corner taken by Ryan Hall played to the near post, clearance made by Ian Ashbee.
- 78:34 Substitution Brandon Zibaka replaces Luke Clark.
- 78:20 Shot from just outside the box by Doyle Middleton misses to the left of the target.
- 76:49 Ryan Hall takes a shot. Save made by Thorsten Stuckmann. Ryan Hall takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Ian Ashbee makes a clearance.
- 74:38 Inswinging corner taken by Paul Parry from the right by-line, clearance made by Bilel Mohsni.
- 73:48 Foul by Sean Clohessy on Paul Coutts, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Paul Parry.
- 73:21 The ball is sent over by Sean Clohessy, Clarke Carlisle manages to make a clearance.
- 72:06 Foul by Juvhel Tsoumou on Mark Phillips, free kick awarded. Luke Daniels takes the free kick.
- 68:59 Paul Coutts takes a shot. Luke Daniels makes a save. Corner taken short by Danny Mayor.
- 67:40 Ian Ashbee gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Liam Dickinson. Michael Timlin takes the free kick.
- 65:08 Ryan Hall has a shot and went wide of the right-hand upright.
- 62:50 Direct free kick taken by Ryan Hall.
- 62:50 Booking Ian Ashbee is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 62:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ian Ashbee on Kane Ferdinand.
- 62:08 Luke Clark takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 61:09 Substitution Doyle Middleton is brought on as a substitute for Barry Nicholson.
- 58:58 Kane Ferdinand has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal.
- 58:11 Juvhel Tsoumou challenges Chris Barker unfairly and gives away a free kick. Luke Daniels takes the indirect free kick.
- 56:17 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Ryan Hall from the right by-line to the near post, Close range headed effort by Peter Gilbert goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 55:42 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ian Ashbee on Kane Ferdinand. Direct free kick taken by Peter Gilbert.
- 50:51 Substitution Bilel Mohsni on for JP Kalala.
- 49:19 Corner taken left-footed by Paul Parry, Luke Daniels makes a save.
- 47:51 Corner taken left-footed by Ryan Hall, Craig Morgan manages to make a clearance.
- 46:18 The ball is crossed by Paul Coutts, save made by Luke Daniels.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:03 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+0:20 Ryan Hall produces a left-footed shot from 35 yards and went wide right of the target.
- 42:19 Mark Phillips concedes a free kick for a foul on Danny Mayor. Shot on goal comes in from Paul Coutts from the free kick, save by Luke Daniels.
- 36:40 Penalty taken by Barry Nicholson and missed.
- 36:40 Unfair challenge on Paul Coutts by Peter Gilbert results in a Penalty.
- 31:43 Juvhel Tsoumou sends in a cross, Barry Nicholson takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Save by Luke Daniels.
- 30:48 Effort from the edge of the area by Juvhel Tsoumou goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 29:04 Ryan Hall takes the direct free kick.
- 29:04 Booking Luke Clark receives a caution.
- 28:15 The ball is delivered by Danny Mayor, Paul Coutts takes a shot. Save by Luke Daniels. Free kick awarded for a foul by Luke Clark on Ryan Hall.
- 25:31 Corner from the right by-line taken by Ryan Hall, Clarke Carlisle manages to make a clearance.
- 21:17 Ian Ashbee fouled by Kane Ferdinand, the ref awards a free kick. Juvhel Tsoumou has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 19:15 Michael Timlin crosses the ball, Juvhel Tsoumou manages to make a clearance.
- 18:42 Barry Nicholson takes a shot. Clearance by Mark Phillips.
- 14:55 Free kick awarded for a foul by JP Kalala on Danny Mayor. Craig Morgan restarts play with the free kick.
- 12:46 Unfair challenge on Mark Phillips by Juvhel Tsoumou results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Luke Daniels.
- 9:40 The referee blows for offside against Ryan Hall. Thorsten Stuckmann takes the indirect free kick.
- 5:58 Corner taken right-footed by Paul Coutts, Paul Coutts takes a shot. Sean Clohessy manages to make a clearance. Foul by Craig Morgan on Ryan Hall, free kick awarded. Save by Luke Daniels. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Hall, Header from just outside the penalty box by Ryan Leonard misses to the left of the goal.
- 4:07 Ryan Hall takes a shot. Save by Thorsten Stuckmann.
- 2:41 Juvhel Tsoumou crosses the ball, save by Luke Daniels.
- 1:48 Foul by Juvhel Tsoumou on Mark Phillips, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Luke Daniels.
- 0:47 The referee gives a free kick against Liam Dickinson for handball. Direct free kick taken by Craig Morgan.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
The FA Cup results
- AFC Totton8-1Bradford PAFT
- AFC Wimbledon0-0ScunthorpeFT
- Alfreton Town0-4CarlisleFT
- Blyth Spartans0-2GatesheadFT
- Bristol Rovers3-1CorbyFT
- Bury0-2Crawley TownFT
- Chelmsford4-0AFC TelfordFT
- Dag & Red1-1Bath CityFT
- East Thurrock0-3MacclesfieldFT
- Hinckley Utd2-2TamworthFT
- Leyton Orient3-0BromleyFT
- Maidenhead Utd1-1AldershotFT
- MK Dons6-0Nantwich TownFT
- Notts County4-1AccringtonFT
- Oldham3-1Burton AlbionFT
- Port Vale0-0GrimsbyFT
- Redbridge0-0Oxford CityFT
- Sheffield Utd3-0Oxford UtdFT
- Sutton Utd1-0KetteringFT