Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Ron Jones
"A truly astonishing cup tie"
 real 14k

Wycombe goalkeeper Martin Taylor
"I can't put words to how I'm feeling"
 real 14k

Wycombe manager Lawrie Sanchez
"We were the best team on the day"
 real 56k

Leicester boss Peter Taylor
"Full credit to Wycombe and good luck to Lawrie Sanchez"
 real 56k

Wycombe's Roy Essandoh
"It's my third appearance for them, it's brilliant."
 real 56k

banner Saturday, 10 March, 2001, 17:01 GMT
Wycombe shock Leicester
Roy Essandoh
Goal hero Roy Essandoh celebrates his winner
Leicester City 1-2 Wycombe Wanderers

Roy Essandoh wrote a fresh chapter in the romantic history of the FA Cup to send Wycombe Wanderers into the semi-finals at the expense of Premiership Leicester City.

Essandoh arrived at Wycombe less than a week before the game via an appeal on the internet - and only signed a two-week contract.

But the unknown 25-year-old will now live forever in the story of Wycombe Wanderers after heading a dramatic injury time winner.

Belfast-born Essandoh, on as a second half substitute, has plied his trade in the lower leagues of Scotland and with VPS Vassa in Finland, but has now leapt from obscurity to FA Cup glory.

Ref Steve Bennett dismisses Sanchez
Wycombe boss Lawrie Sanchez - an FA Cup winner and goalscorer with Wimbledon in 1988 - masterminded one of the great upsets to deservedly guide Second Division Wycombe into the semi-finals.

Wycombe hinted they could shock their more illustrious Premier League opponents when Paul McCarthy gave Wycombe a second half lead.

And even though Muzzy Izzet equalised for Leicester City, Wycombe were not to be denied and Essandoh sent their travelling fans into ecstasy when he headed home from close range.

It was a bitter sweet day for Sanchez, who was sent from the dug-out by referee Steve Bennett after Wycombe had a penalty appeal rejected - and midfield man Steve Brown was also cruelly shown the red card after taking his shirt off in the goal celebrations.

Leicester will be bitterly disappointed, but could have no complaints as Wycombe added Peter Taylor's side to Wimbledon on their list of giant killing victims.

Sanchez embraces Essandoh
Sanchez embraces Essandoh
Wycombe demonstrated the spirit that has carried them to the quarter-final in a dour first half in which Leicester struggled to make any impact.

It was just as Wycombe would have wanted it - frustration for the home fans coupled with the occasional anxious moment for Leicester as the underdogs threatened.

Leicester's Robbie Savage was a central figure in the opening 45 minutes, displaying the good and bad side of his footballing nature.

The Wales midfield man brought a diving save from Martin Taylor - and then characteristically got involved in a running feud with Wycombe's Brown.

It's my first game in the FA Cup and this has happened - if people out there can't believe it imagine how I feel
  Wycombe's Roy Essandoh
Brown was booked on the half hour for a foul which infuriated Savage - and it was a moment of mind-numbing inevitability when he was also shown the yellow card nine minutes later for a foolish act of revenge.

Savage mirrored Leicester's growing frustration, with Second Division Wycombe coming closer to scoring as half time approached.

Dannie Bulman had already forced a fine save out of Simon Royce when Brown fired in an angled 25-yard drive that was heading for the top corner until the Leicester keeper produced a brilliant save.

And they were rewarded for their endeavours five minutes into the second half when they took a shock lead.

Brown's free kick was deep into the heart of the Leicester danger zone, and defender McCarthy headed past the stranded Royce under challenge from Ade Akinbiyi.

Leicester were stunned, and wasted an almost immediate chance to hit back when Savage was unfortunate not to connect with Akinbiyi's cross at the near post.

It was Savage's last meaningful contribution as he limped off on the hour to be replaced by Darren Eadie.

Wycombe almost hit Leicester on the counter-attack when Brown's header brought another fine save from the excellent Royce.

We've all let ourselves down badly, but we must not take anything away from Wimbledon
  Leicester City manager Peter Taylor
Filbert Street breathed a collective sigh of relief after 67 minutes when Izzet brought the Premier League side level.

Substitute Eadie was the creator with a run down the left hand side, and his cross found Izzet unmarked inside the six yard box to score with ease.

Leicester should have taken the lead within 20 seconds, when Izzet set Akinbiyi free with only Taylor to beat, but his finish was hesitant and the goalkeeper saved.

Both managers made double substitutions with 15 minutes left, with Wycombe replacing Clegg and Ryan with Stewart Casteldine and Mark Osborn.

Leicester boss Taylor effectively switched strike forces, sending on Arnar Gunnlaugsson and Trevor Benjamin for Akinbiyi and Dean Sturridge.

Peter Taylor
Taylor was stunned
There was a moment of controversy 12 minutes from time when Leicester midfield man Stefan Oakes appeared to handle a cross from Brown, but Wycombe's appeals were waved away by referee Bennett.

Boss Sanchez was furious and was sent from the dug-out after an angry exhange with the officials.

He was elated in injury time when Essandoh headed home, and even the dismissal of Brown could not dampen the wild celebrations.

It was just another in the long line of glorious FA Cup stories, and a new football name has emerged in the shape of Roy Essandoh.

Leicester: Royce, Impey, Guppy, Rowett, Taggart, Elliott, Izzet, Savage, Oakes, Sturridge, Akinbiyi. Subs: Andrews, Jones, Benjamin, Gunnlaugsson, Eadie.

Wycombe: Taylor, Townsend, Bates, Cousins, McCarthy, Vinnicombe, Bulman, Simpson, Brown, Ryan, Clegg. Subs: Lee, Osborn, Essandoh, Castledine, Johnson.

Referee: S Bennett (Orpington)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

10 Mar 01 |  FA Cup
Cyberman Essandoh hits the net
Links to top FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other FA Cup stories

^^ Back to top