Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: FA Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Ian Brown
"A game that lived up to its billing"
 real 14k

Fulham's Lee Clark
"There was a big gap between the teams"
 real 14k

Man Utd's Phil Neville
"We want to go all the way now"
 real 14k

Sir Alex Ferguson
"It was not a game filled with great football"
 real 14k

banner Sunday, 7 January, 2001, 15:11 GMT
Sheringham ends Fulham's resolve
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised after scoring the opening goal
Solskjaer praised after scoring the opening goal
Fulham 1-2 Man Utd

Manchester United's Teddy Sheringham ended Fulham's quest for FA Cup glory with a superb strike with just a minute to go at Craven Cottage.

The Premiership champions were challenged all the way by the London outfit as the forward combination of Louis Saha and Luis Boa Morte caused all sorts of problems.

The first chance of the game fell to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after two minutes but his shot went harmlessly into the arms of Maik Taylor.

A minute later, poor control from Ryan Giggs let him down when Fulham's indecision at the back appeared to have set him free inside the box.

Despairing Taylor

Good work from Bjarne Goldbaek saw his cross land at the feet at Fabrice Fernandes. But his shot was dealt with comfortably by Ray Van Der Gouw in the United goal.

But it was United who broke the deadlock on seven minutes.

I think the players again showed their hunger
  Sir Alex Ferguson, Man United manager

David Beckham pounced on Lee Clark, who was caught in possesion on the edge of the box.

Beckham slipped the ball through to Solskjaer, who found his spot expertly low down past the despairing Taylor from 23 yards.

The goal acted as the wake-up call for Fulham.

Goal-line clearance

Good pressure from Saha and Boa Morte had the United defence chasing shadows as the pair used their speed to great effect attacking the left flank defended by Mickael Silvestre.

On 18 minutes United had the Cottagers on the back foot.

Rufus Brevett blocked on the line after fine work from Giggs. His dribble set up Solskjaer and left Brevett to take the emergency measure.

However, Fulham were back in the tie with the equaliser on 23 minutes. A foul by Gary Neville on Saha 30 yards out set up the free-kick but before Fernandes could take it Roy Keane kicked the ball away.

Nicolas Fernandes grabs the Fulham equaliser
Nicolas Fernandes grabs the Fulham equaliser

It earned Fulham another 10 yards and a booking for Keane. Fernandes stepped up and curled the ball exquisitely over the wall and into the corner of the net from 22 yards out.

Boa Morte had a one-on-one with Van Der Gouw three minutes later but the keeper did enough to pressure the former Arsenal forward to take the ball wide.

The speed factor of Saha and Boa Morte continued to have United in all kinds of trouble as the defence failed to come to terms with their free running.

Wes Brown's tackle on on the latter led to a corner, which left Kit Symons with a free header from two yards out on 31 minutes.

Odds on for promotion

The central defender's connection was powerful but the direction was not as the ball hit the turf and bounced over.

Neat midfield interplay and commanding performances from Nicolas Sahnoun and Clark showed why Fulham head the First Division and look odds on for promotion to the Premiership.

Sheringham had one shot but he scored and that's the difference
  Jean Tigana, Fulham manager

Saha and Boa Morte continued to forage forward as the Londoners enjoyed the better of the closing stages of the half to go in 1-1.

United opened the half determined to recapture their pass-and-move game as Fulham ran at their Premiership opponents.

Patient work from Fulham gave Boa Morte the first chance after 48 minutes, with a customary dribble at the United defence but Brown halted his progress with a fine tackle inside the box.

Another last-ditch tackle, this time from Silvestre, stopped Saha as he headed for goal.

Mercurial talent

United's Keane had the next opportunity after 58 minutes but defender Andy Melville used his frame to block the midfielder and the ball from just two yards out.

As both sides looked for the decisive blow Boa Morte was replaced by Andrejs Stolcers and United brought on leading goalscorer Sheringham for an anonymous Dwight Yorke.

The energy-sapping Craven Cottage pitch began to take its toll as both teams began attacks but lacked the penetration to finish the game off.

However, Sheringham was to have final say as Luke Chadwick passed inside for the mercurial talent to sweep home into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Fulham: Taylor, Brevett, Symons, Melville, Finnan, Clark, Sahnoun, Goldbaek, Fernandes, Saha, Boa Morte. Subs: Hahnemann, Neilson, Trollope, Lewis, Stolcers.

Man Utd: Van Der Gouw, Silvestre, Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Brown, Beckham, Butt, Keane, Giggs, Yorke, Solskjaer. Subs: Irwin, Wallwork, Chadwick, Rachubka, Sheringham.

Referee: J Winter (Stockton-on-Tees)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

07 Jan 01 |  Photo Galleries
Sunday's FA Cup action - in pictures
27 May 99 |  FA Cup
Double joy for Man United
28 May 99 |  Uniteds treble triumph
The Kings of Europe
05 Jan 01 |  Man Utd
Barthez out of Fulham match
07 Jan 01 |  FA Cup
Clockwatch: Fulham 1-2 Man Utd
07 Jan 01 |  Man Utd
Beckham 'rejects 80,000-a-week'
Links to top FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other FA Cup stories

^^ Back to top