Huntelaar (left) and Ronaldo (right) during Madrid training
Real Madrid have reiterated their desire to add Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso to their list of high-profile summer recruits.
Reports suggest that the Premier League club are asking for up to £50m for the 27-year-old Spanish international.
"Madrid don't discard an option until it is truly impossible," said Real sporting director Miguel Pardeza.
"Right now there is an insurmountable economic barrier but that is something that can change."
Madrid have spent £209m so far this summer to bring Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Raul Albiol to the Bernabeu as part of president Florentino Perez's new 'galactico' project, designed to bring the world's best players to the club.
However, director general Jorge Valdano has said the club also want to sign more homegrown players, including Alonso, who played for Real Sociedad before moving to Liverpool in the summer of 2004.
In May, Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez insisted he did not want to sell the midfielder, saying: "Alonso has three years left on his deal - we're really pleased with him. We don't want to sell."
Pardeza also revealed that Real currently have no plans to attempt to sign Arsenal and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
"He's a great player, without a doubt but, at the moment, he is not a Real Madrid target," said Pardeza. "The club is working on other ones."
Real have also been heavily linked to Bayern Munich's 26-year-old French international midfielder Frank Ribery.
The Madrid squad trained together for the first time on Friday since the club's expensive summer recruitment drive.
However, a number of players present at the Valdebebas complex may soon be departing the club, including Dutch striker Klass-Jan Huntelaar.
The 25-year-old has been linked with a summer move to Manchester United, but now seems set to join German side Stuttgart with Spanish media suggesting a 20m euro (£18m) transfer fee has been agreed between the clubs.
"There are negotiations and we're just about at the point where the player needs to make a decision," said Pardeza.
Fellow Dutch internationals Ruud van Nistelrooy, Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder have all been linked with moves away from the Bernabeu.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.