Fans clash with police at the Vicente Calderon stadium
The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld Uefa's ruling that Atletico Madrid should play a Champions League game behind closed doors.
Uefa punished the Spanish club after crowd trouble and allegations of racist abuse at October's game with Marseille.
Atletico argued that Uefa did not have enough evidence but the 55,000-capacity Vicente Calderon Stadium will be empty for Wednesday's visit of PSV Eindhoven.
However, CAS cut Atletico's fine in half from around £130,000 to £65,000.
CAS has also lifted the threat of a second match being played behind closed doors.
"I'm disappointed because we hoped to succeed with our case and clear ourselves of these accusations, but this decision leaves us in no doubt about the situation now," said Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo.
"It's difficult because when you have done nothing you don't have to fear anything bad. Now there is nowhere and no one left to turn to."
Uefa, football's ruling body in Europe, originally told Atletico to play three Champions League matches at least 300km away from Madrid, with one of those matches deferred.
That caused problems for Liverpool fans, who had already made plans for the trip to Madrid on 22 October, and the penalty was reduced by Uefa.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.