Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Thursday, 20 September 2007, 21:22 GMT 22:22 UK
Everton 1-1 FC Metalist Kharkiv
By Jonathan Stevenson

Everton's James McFadden (left) commiserates with Andrew Johnson
McFadden (left) commiserates with Johnson after his second miss
Andrew Johnson missed two penalties as Everton were held to a draw by nine-man Metalist Kharkiv in the Uefa Cup.

Joleon Lescott's header put Everton ahead before Seweryn Gancarczyk was sent off for two bookings - the second dissent - after Lescott was impeded.

Andrew Johnson missed the re-taken spot-kick before Metalist levelled when substitute Venans Zeze slotted home.

Johnson blazed a late penalty over after Victor Anichebe had been fouled - which saw Olexandr Babych dismissed.

It was a sensational end to a game in which Everton had dominated possession - but they could not find the killer second goal and were heavily punished in the end.

Kick-off was delayed by half an hour due to a ticketing problem, but once the game got under way it was Metalist - third in the Ukraine league last season - who nearly took a shock lead.

Their first foray into into Everton's half saw Serhiy Valyayev's 30-yard left-foot rocket brilliantly touched over by Stefan Wessels.


Everton were dominating the possession, but Metalist still managed to fashion another half-chance, this time Olexandr Rykun volleying over from 15 yards.

The hosts persevered and, from their first real sight of goal, they opened the scoring - which brought a huge collective sigh of relief around Goodison Park.

McFadden floated in a corner from the right and Lescott rose unmarked five yards out to bullet a header past Oleksandr Goryainov.

Yakubu nearly doubled the lead when Goryainov got down well to his left to save the Nigerian's 20-yard effort and then on the stroke of half-time, Lescott latched onto Leon Osman's fizzing cross-shot at the far post only to nod over.

Although enjoying more of the ball, Everton were looking open to the counter-attack and the home crowd began to get frustrated at a lack of clear-cut chances.

Everton defender Joleon Lescott celebrates his goal
Lescott celebrates giving Everton a first-half lead at Goodison

They were risen from their slumber halfway through the half thanks to two minutes of pure drama - with Austrian referee Fritz Stuchlik at the centre of events.

Stuchlik first gave Everton a penalty for Babych's foul on Lescott and quickly sent off Gancarczyk for a second bookable offence, presumably for something he said in the aftermath of the decision.

Johnson rifled the first spot-kick into the roof of the net but Stuchlik ruled it should be taken again due to encroaching - and when it was, Goryainov dived to his left to save Johnson's effort.

A chorus of boos rang around the ground, and with 12 minutes left the majority of the spectators had even more to complain about.

A typical Metalist counter saw Marko Devic slip in Hitcham Mahdoufi, and he passed to his fellow subsitute Zeze to slot past Wessels.

Anichebe was booked for a furious protest after being denied a blatant penalty, but with a minute left, he was wrestled to the ground by Babych, who picked up his second yellow.

Johnson placed the ball down confidently but saw his fierce penalty fly high over the bar, leaving the striker - and most of the 37,120 present - with his head in his hands.

  • Everton manager David Moyes on Johnson's re-taken penalty:
    "If he gives a foul for people entering the box he should do it again.

    "For the first one there were more Metalist players in the area than Everton, so to punish us seemed harsh.

    "In the end we lost a sloppy goal and that puts us under a lot of pressure."

    Everton: Wessels, Hibbert, Yobo, Lescott, Baines, Osman, Carsley (Jagielka 79), Neville, McFadden, Johnson, Yakubu (Anichebe 65).
    Subs Not Used: Stubbs, Nuno Valente, Jutkiewicz, Ruddy, Vidarsson.

    Booked: Anichebe.

    Goals: Lescott 24.

    FC Metalist Kharkiv: Goryainov, Bordiyan, Babych, Gancarczyk, Obradobic, Guie, Slysur, Valiaev, Devic, Nwoha (Antonov 59), Rykun (Zeze 67), Antonov (Mahdoufi 77).
    Subs Not Used: Danilav, Anton, Davydov, Thumak.

    Sent Off: Gancarczyk (69), Babych (89).

    Booked: Obradobic, Bordiyan, Babych.

    Goals: Zeze 78.

    Att: 37,120.

    Ref: Fritz Stuchlik (Austria).

    Uefa Cup photos
    20 Sep 07 |  Europe


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
    Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

    Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us