Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Friday, 2 March 2007, 18:56 GMT
Betis given three-game ground ban
Sevilla coach Juande Ramos is stretchered unconscious from the pitch
Ramos was unconscious as he was stretchered from the pitch
Real Betis have received a three-match stadium ban for violence at their Copa del Rey tie versus city rivals Sevilla.

The match was abandoned after Sevilla coach Juande Ramos was knocked out by an object thrown from the crowd.

The incident happened after Sevilla's Frederic Kanoute scored in Wednesday's quarter-final second leg match.

Betis will have to play the remaining 33 minutes of the quarter-final second leg at Getafe, who are based in the suburbs of Spanish capital Madrid.

The Sevilla players left the pitch, causing the game to be halted, while Ramos reportedly regained consciousness after being treated by medical staff.

The first leg, which had been played at Sevilla's stadium, had finished 0-0.

Spain's football competition committee also ruled that disciplinary proceedings should be launched against Jose Maria del Nido and Pepe Leon, chairmen of Seville and Betis respectively, whom they accused of whipping up longstanding bad feeling between the two clubs beforehand.

The build-up to the derby was dominated by arguments between the two clubs over whether or not Sevilla president Del Nido would be allowed in the VIP box at the Betis stadium.

606 DEBATE: Give your reaction to this news

After mediation by the Andalucian regional government, Betis finally allowed Del Nido to attend the match although a number of fans threw objects at him as he took his seat.

There was further controversy because Betis had placed a bronze bust of Del Nido's arch-rival, Betis owner Manuel Ruiz de Lopera in a seat just behind the Sevilla president.

"You have to point the finger at the culprit, only the culprit," said Del Nido, regarding the Ramos incident.

"This could have happened at any ground. Nobody can avoid this if, among the thousands of fans who enter the stadium, there are 10 lunatics, and unfortunately this happened here."

Del Nido said Ramos had been unconscious for up to 11 minutes before he regained consciousness.

Spain's sports minister Jaime Lissavetzky described the incident as "shameful".

Ramos was struck by a full bottle of water on the back of the head.

"I'm still in shock and I'm trying to get over it," he said 48 hours after the event.

"The match was heated but I never could imagine that something like that could happen.

"I don't remember anything after being struck, nor what happened on the pitch."


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us