Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
---------------
---------------
CHOOSE A SPORT
RELATED BBC SITES
Last Updated: Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 09:52 GMT
Calderon blasts Beckham over move
David Beckham
Beckham must now decide his short-term future until August
Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has launched a blistering attack on David Beckham over his decision to join American side LA Galaxy.

Beckham, 31, has been told by Real boss Fabio Capello he will not play again before his contract runs out in July.

Calderon said: "He will be an average cinema actor living in Hollywood.

"The proof our technical team was right in not considering his continuity has been ratified because no one, with the player having been free, wanted him."

Calderon made the comments in a speech to university students that was aired by Spanish radio station Cadena Cope.

Real Madrid later issued a statement in which the club criticised Cadena Cope for broadcasting Calderon's remarks.

Calderon himself later apologised, but the damage to Beckham's now fragile relationship with Real may have been done.

I want to apologise a thousand times

Real president Ramon Calderon

As well as hitting out at Beckham, the Real president also said the club's players "all think they are superstars" and the fans "don't support the team, like in Italy and England".

Calderon later told Real Madrid television: "I want to apologise a thousand times to anyone that might have been offended.

"But I want people to know that everything I've done since I got here has been for the good of the club."

The former England captain announced last week that he had turned down a two-year extension with Real and signed a five-year, 128m deal with Galaxy.

That prompted Capello to announce that Beckham would not play for Real again, despite having six months left on his contract.

There were reports that the 31-year-old might ask to leave immediately, but his spokesman denied this and said Beckham's position would remain unchanged unless Real asked for talks.

Galaxy's general manager Alexi Lalas has already said the MLS club has no plans to take Beckham to the US before his Real deal ends.

He said: "Our position is unchanged with regards to David Beckham.

"We look forward to welcoming him in the summer and we respect his chance to honour his contract with Real Madrid. "All our plans are that we will welcome David here in the summer."

SEE ALSO
Ronaldo heading for Madrid exit
16 Jan 07 |  Europe
Capello disappointed by Beckham
15 Jan 07 |  Europe
Beckham 'could make Galaxy great'
14 Jan 07 |  Football
Van Nistelrooy nets Real winner
14 Jan 07 |  Europe
Real coach calls time on Beckham
13 Jan 07 |  Football
Galaxy owners defend Beckham move
12 Jan 07 |  Football
Money is not my motive - Beckham
11 Jan 07 |  Football
The 275 million dollar man
11 Jan 07 |  Football
Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move
12 Jan 07 |  Football
Beckham's Real career in photos
11 Jan 07 |  Football
Beckham's rollercoaster ride
11 Jan 07 |  Football


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us