BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 August 2005, 21:54 GMT 22:54 UK
Villarreal 2-1 Everton
Villarreal win 4-2 on aggregate

Everton's Tim Cahill holds his head in his hands as Marcus Bent looks on as the side go out of the Champions League
Everton cursed a controversial late decision by referee Pieluigi Collina as they crashed out of the Champions League 4-2 on aggregate to Villarreal.

Collina mysteriously ruled out a Duncan Ferguson header that could have taken the qualifier into extra time.

Mikel Arteta's 69th minute free-kick had given Everton hope after Juan Pablo Sorin's deflected shot gave Villarreal a first-half advantage.

Diego Forlan's injury-time winner then sent the Toffees into the Uefa Cup.

It was a brave effort from David Moyes' side, who took an hour to establish any measure of control.

Everton received a boost before kick-off at El Madrigal when Marcus Bent was declared fit after picking up knee and ankle injuries after scoring the winner at Bolton.

Villarreal showed the greater quality in the first 45 minutes, but Everton had a glorious opportunity to make the gifted Spanish outfit nervous before Sorin put them ahead.

Ferguson nodded a throw-in into Tim Cahill's path, but he wasted the chance, heading straight at Mariano Barbosa.

It was the signal for Villarreal to take control, creating a host of chances as Everton were put on the rack.

They went ahead after 20 minutes, when Sorin's 20-yard drive took a deflection off David Weir and beat the heroic Nigel Martyn.

Martyn then saved well from Forlan and then dived to his left to deflect a free-kick from Juan Roman Riquelme to safety.

Riquelme was denied once more by the veteran Martyn - before the second half began in similar fashion with the goalkeeper blocking another effort from the rampaging Forlan.

Ferguson then wasted Everton's second clear chance of the night, heading wide from six yards out after getting on the end of Simon Davies' perfect cross.

Martyn was showing the form that has prompted talk of an England recall at the age of 39, and he produced the pick of his saves after 52 minutes when he stretched to turn Sorin's deflection around the post.

Everton survived the siege and gave themselves a lifeline with 20 minutes left when Arteta curled a brilliant free-kick past Barbosa.

Cahill then gave Villarreal a real scare when his cross was deflected on to the bar with Barbosa scrambling.

Barbosa then denied Everton with a brilliant save from Ferguson's header after Tony Hibbert's pinpoint cross.

Ferguson then had that crucial goal disallowed from the resulting corner, referee Collina appearing to penalise Bent, although replays showed that it was the Everton striker who was having his shirt tugged.

Everton were left deflated and Forlan added Villarreal's second on the break to send the Spanish side through.

Villarreal: Barbosa, Rodriguez, Arruabarrena, Forlan, Josico, Riquelme, Figueroa (Tacchinardi 81), Sorin, Quique Alvarez, Javi Venta (Kromkamp 14), Senna.
Subs Not Used: Lopez Vallejo, Guayre, Hector Font, Santi Cazorla, Pena.

Goals: Sorin 21, Forlan 90.

Everton: Martyn, Hibbert, Yobo, Weir, Neville, Arteta, Davies (McFadden 79), Cahill, Kilbane (Osman 56), Bent, Ferguson.
Subs Not Used: Wright, Li Tie, Hughes, Vaughan, Wilson.

Booked: Kilbane, Osman.

Goals: Arteta 69.

Att: 22,000

Ref: Pierluigi Collina (Italy).

News conference: Everton boss David Moyes


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport