BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Thursday, 28 August, 2003, 20:38 GMT 21:38 UK
Man City sail through
Man City goalscorer Christian Negouai
Negouai celebrates putting Man City in front

TNS 0-2 Manchester City (Man City win 7-0 on aggregate)

Manchester City booked their place in the first round proper of the Uefa Cup with a comfortable win over Welsh minnows TNS to complete a resounding aggregate victory.

Kevin Keegan's men twice added to the first leg score, midfielder Christian Negouai netting two minutes before half-time and Darren Huckerby notching with nine minutes to go.

Keegan made 10 changes from the first leg, deciding to rest a host of first-team players with the tie all-but over.

It gave the former England boss a chance to run the rule over some of the club's fringe players, and young Irish defender Willo Flood made his debut.

TNS, clearly fearful of another thrashing, defended deep in their own half and City pressed forward from the opening whistle.

The visitors should have extended their aggregate lead when Eyal Berkovic sent Darren Huckerby racing through the middle.

But Huckerby carried the ball too close to Dean Williams' goal and the keeper managed to block the shot with his legs.

43 mins: Negouai puts Man City in front
81 mins: Huckerby completes the scoring

TNS had a decent chance of their own 10 minutes before half-time, but Martin Naylor's goalbound shot deflected off Richard Dunne and clipped the outside of the post.

Just two minutes before half-time City deservedly went in front, Negouai capitalising on a defensive blunder to lash the ball home from six yards.

Keegan resisted the temptation to make changes at the interval and City came out looking determined to add to their already substantial lead.

But TNS almost embarrassed Nicky Weaver - standing in for the rested David Seaman - when the former England Under-21 stopper had to back-pedal furiously to tip Gary Brabin's outrageous 45-yard lob over the crossbar.

City suffered a blow on the hour mark when former Preston striker Jon Macken took a knock on his shin and had to be replaced, Shaun Wright-Phillips taking his place.

Huckerby rounded off the night with a second goal, prodding home after good work from Wright-Phillips.

TNS: Dean Williams, Naylor, King, Brabin, Aggrey, Taylor, Ruscoe, Jamie Wood, James Wood, Simon Davies, Leah. Subs: Doherty, Bridgewater, Toner, Wild, Justin Perry, Beck, Steve Evans.

Man City: Weaver, Flood, Dunne, Wiekens, Bischoff, Tiatto, Bosvelt, Negouai, Berkovic, Huckerby, Macken. Subs: Stuhr-Ellegaard, Whelan, Distin, Sinclair, Barton, Wright-Phillips, Jihai.

Referee: Zsolt Szabo (Hungary).

BBC Five Live's Ian Brown
"TNS were far from disgraced"

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport