BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 September, 2003, 20:08 GMT 21:08 UK
Heartache for Dundee
Dundee's Lee Wilkie makes a timely interception
Dundee's Lee Wilkie makes a timely interception

Dundee 1-2 Perugia

Dundee's Uefa Cup dreams hang in the balance after Perugia grabbed two priceless away goals at Dens Park.

This was Dundee's first foray into the first round of the Uefa Cup since 1974 and their pairing with a big league outfit that had just drawn with Champions League holders AC Milan was a daunting prospect.

But after an initial spell in which possession was hard to come by for the home side they soon settled down to make sure it remained a competitive contest.

Yet they were indebted to goalkeeper Julian Speroni that they tie remained goalless going into the break.

It was Perugia who made the more cultured start, stringing a number of intelligent passes together.

Dundee's first real chance came when Giorgi Nemsadze almost put Lovell in, only for the striker to allow himself to be dispossessed in the box.

Perugia began to apply the pressure after that with Giovanni Tedesco heading over from a Fabio Grosso cross.

Vryzas then forced a fine save out of Julian Speroni with a glancing header from eight yards out after another good delivery from the dangerous Grosso.

Dundee had two penalty shouts turned down just after the half hour, with Sara and then Lovell claiming they had been fouled.

However, the referee, Zeljko Siric, was not interested in either.

Ferreira then caught the ball perfectly from long range, forcing Speroni into a flying save to prevent the ball from finding the top corner.

Margiotta's head was on the end of the corner but despite the point-blank range Speroni was able to gather.

Five minutes after the restart, Juan Sara missed a golden opportunity when he blazed a header over the bar with the goal beckoning.

That miss was punished moments later when Di Loreto netted a priceless away goal for the visitors, when he prodded a shot over the despairing Speroni.

Dundee pulled level just after the hour through Lee Wilkie.

Gary Brady won a corner that Nemsadze floated on to the head of the giant defender and the ball whizzed past Novo on its way beyond former Leicester goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac.

The game looked like it would end in a draw until the 83rd minute when Perugia grabbed a second.

Massimiliano Fusani neatly curled the ball round Speroni from just outside the box after the home defence had been unable to clear their lines.

Dundee: Speroni, Mackay, Wilkie, Mair, Hernandez Santos, Smith, Rae, Nemsadze, Sara, Lovell, Novo.
Subs: Langfield, Brady, Sancho, Cowan, Hutchinson, Fotheringham, McDonald.

Perugia: Kalac, Diamoutene, Alioui, Di Loreto, Ze Maria, Tedesco, Fusani, Gatti, Grosso, Vryzas, Margiotta.
Subs: Tardioli, Lompoutis, Ignoffo, Do Prado, Berrettoni, Turchi, Obodo.

Referee: Zeljko Siric (Croatia)

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport